Revision from Sleeve to RNY

Sassybuffalogal
on 10/22/22 8:04 am
Revision on 01/02/23

Hi all. I'm Rhonda and introducing myself as I return to this site after starting a weight loss journey in2008 with a lap band. I was very successful with the band with the help of friends made on OH, until it prolapsed and had to be removed.

At that time, 2016, I had a gastric sleeve procedure after the doc said it would be better for me than RNY. The surgery did little to help address my diabetes or my weight. So now, with reflux that won't stop and many meds to deal with my diabetes, I have scheduled RNY for Jan.

I'm hoping to find out here more of what to expect upon recovery and for support through this 4th abdominal surgery. I expect no miracles. I am mostly concerned about my diabetes. I've had it a very long time as has my family. I just want to limit how much insulin I need and the belly expansion that goes with it. Of course warding off the neuropathy and other complications from diabetes are high on my hopes list.

Anyone here who has experienced revisions like this and able to tell me what to expect? All info is appreciated.

Thank you!

White Dove
on 10/22/22 9:11 am - Warren, OH

Look into DS rather than RNY. Much better for diabetes.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Sassybuffalogal
on 10/22/22 9:17 am
Revision on 01/02/23

Thank you for the suggestion. Unfortunately my bmi won't support that.

ladygodiva1228
on 10/24/22 2:19 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

White Dove is right you should look into the DS. Now not saying the RNY isn't good, but having the sleeve already it would easier to do the DS. Because you are having complications usually the BMI isn't the biggest factor. At least talk with your surgeon about it. There are people who have had the DS done with a lower BMI due to complications.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

Partlypollyanna
on 10/22/22 10:44 am
RNY on 02/14/18

I think we have at least one regular poster that is a sleeve to RNY revision. Hopefully, she can answer a few of your questions. Feel free to chime in on ongoing of the daily threads!

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

Melody P.
on 10/24/22 6:58 am - Amarillo, TX

I had the sleeve first then a revision to RNY. I wish I could've had the DS!

I had the revision due to GERD. I still have bouts of it but it is better...a lot better.

weight loss wise it didn't do much. Mostly due to some health stuff my weight went up. My type 2 diabetes is back. BUT a lot of this is my doing. You really have to be on the ball.

DS is better for diabetes for sure!

recovery was easier for me than the sleeve. I think mostly because it was like my third abdominal surgery. Mine was all scope though.

Most Active
Recent Topics