Soy......Anyone have an allergy?

JB1114
on 3/31/17 6:57 pm - Grain Valley, MO

I had my first allergic reaction to soy about 9 years ago. I drank protein shakes that contained soy and by process of elimination I traced my face rash to soy. Soy causes burning and itching around my jaw line and neck. It also causes the area around my eyes to become dry.

My latest episode started about 2 weeks ago. I had oral surgery and was on pain meds for several days and thought the pain med might have caused the rash. The rash didn't go away and has gotten much worse. I've taken Benedryl and it helps a little.

I've discovered soy in a number of things I've been eating......Power Crunch bars, Luna bars, instant oatmeal, Atkins shakes and the list goes on and on.

Today, I've been putting Lavender essential oil on the area and it helps.

Just wondering if other have a problem with soy.

~Jo~

RNY: July 8, 2008

Dr. John Price

Kansas City, MO

selhard
on 4/1/17 5:47 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

If intestinal gas counts as a problem with soy, count me in. Soy protein must be cheaper than whey protein for companies to sell. Another gas-producing, cheap ingredient I avoid is chickory root.

MaryEllen OntheEastCoast
on 4/1/17 8:47 pm - CT

I am not allergic to soy but I do have an intolerance to it. It causes moderate to severe stomach pain and bowel issues. Soy is in EVERYTHING! Once you start reading labels you will be shocked. I am soy free these days and feel a thousand times better. And a byproduct of avoiding soy is avoiding many foods that I should not have been eating - most breads, all baked goods, most processed foods.

MaryEllen OntheEastCoast
on 4/1/17 8:51 pm - CT

One thing I forgot to mention was soybean oil. It is used in many, many, many products. Anytime you see vegetable oil on a label you must assume it is soybean oil. Look for canola, olive or safflower oil in products. I have done a ton of research on soy trying to get to the bottom of my stomach problems.

JB1114
on 4/2/17 10:15 am - Grain Valley, MO

Soy is also in cosmetics. Why do they put soy in everything since it's the fourth leading cause of allergies? I was looking at Nature Valley bars and everyone had soy protein. I contacted Quest and was assured their products do not contain soy.

My symptoms just won't go away and I think I've eliminated soy. I've been using Avon makeup and don't see on the bottles any ingredients so I purchased Merle Norman and will see how that works. They gave me some samples to use for a few days.

I didn't know about the soybean oil. I'll look for that. Looks like I'm going to have to make any snacks so I know what is in them.

~Jo~

RNY: July 8, 2008

Dr. John Price

Kansas City, MO

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 55 replies · 430 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 357 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 358 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?