Foods that make you feel full?

ktharp89
on 3/6/12 8:15 am - Gaithersburg, MD
 What are your go to food thats are low calories but make you feel full??

P.S - I hate greek yogurt!
Height - 5'8  - SW - 292/ CW - 177.6 /GW - 150 - BMI - 27.1 - 114.4 lbs lost!
"The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore" Vincent Van Gogh
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

poet_kelly
on 3/6/12 8:19 am - OH
That's OK 'cause yogurt's a slider food anyway!

For something low in calories that makes me full, it has to be raw veggies.  Like a big salad.  Fiber.  Plus it takes a long time to chew it up really good.  You can't eat it fast.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Bulldogg7
on 3/6/12 8:22 am - MI
Kelly, how long out were you before you started eating sald?  What was your portion size?

poet_kelly
on 3/6/12 9:38 am - OH
About eight weeks out, but I was only eating very small amounts of it then because I was trying to focus on protein and just didn't have the room for much else.  Now that I don't have any trouble getting all my protein in, I can eat a really big salad for lunch with some protein on it but not that much, and still get plenty of protein the rest of the day.  I don't eat meat, but if I got out to eat I'll often order an entree salad that would normally come with chicken on it but ask them to leave off the chicken.  So it's a very big salad, but mostly lettuce.  And there's some cheese or nuts for a little protein but it's mostly all raw veggies.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Jane Wurzel
on 3/6/12 8:21 am - Brookfield, wi
I am 10 years postop roux n y.  It is important for you all to know that 50% of all patients having this surgery develop calcium oxalate kidney stones. It is a crime that thisinfo isn't told to all patients along with how to minimize the formation.  I have had numerous stones and informed by my urologist that it will continue.  He works with a bariatric surgeon to take care of his postop patients with stones.  If I had known this preop, I would likely to have the surgery anyway and follow some dietary restrictions and take special supplements to reduce it. 
You willlikely see fat floating in the toilet with bowel movements when you are all healed and able to eat normally. This fat malabsorption causes havoc with your kidneys. 

Before your surgery, ask your surgeon specifically about this.
(deactivated member)
on 3/6/12 8:50 am - San Antonio, TX
 What does that have to do with Katie's question about what foods make you feel full????
poet_kelly
on 3/6/12 9:39 am - OH
50%?  That's a really big number.  Can I ask where that statistic is coming from?

exohexoh
on 3/6/12 11:44 am - West Chester, PA
 especially since i've been on this board for over 2 years and this is the first time i've heard of it....

<3 jen <3

<3 starting weight: 252 <3 goal weight: 135 <3 current weight: 151 <3

RNY: 9/27/10 <3 Extended Tummy Tuck w/hip & thigh lipo: 6/6/13

Jane Wurzel
on 3/7/12 12:05 am - Brookfield, wi
It came from a researchstudy whichI
should be able to forward a link but I am on vacation and don't know what it is.  It slso comes from the urologist which I currently see.  He told me that he sees many of the patients of the bariatric surgeon in our area for stones and that I will likely continue to have them.
I am not saying anyone should refuse the surgery or be scared to death. All I want to do is make you aware and  ask questions and do some research.
Your best safety is to have information and then dicide what you want to do.
If noone speaks up the info doesn't get out.
I was a long time member of obesity help and stayed on the site  for years before and after the surgery and benefited greatly from the info. The risk of stones wasn't known then except for gall stones and that is why they were removing gall bladders.
I was 239# and have maintained at 125 -135 for the 10 years.  Yes, my life has been happier.  Ialso have had 3 small bowel obstructions and 6 kidneey stones as a result of the surgery.  I don't ee those things mentioned in the genral info on the sites.
If you want to find about this more quicly begin with Mayo Clinic and look up kiddneey stones. they refer to these as enteric stones caused by alteration of the small gut.
scho5
on 3/6/12 11:35 am - WI
 Can I ask who your surgeon was?

Most Active
Recent Topics