My thoughts..

Jazloseit
on 5/4/14 9:24 pm

I remember after surgery I was in so much pain...and I didn't regret the surgery at all but I started to cry. I started thinking, I harmed my body so much that it had to come to this extent. Surgery. I'm 19 years old. It just got to me and I couldn't stop crying...I couldnt believe that I had gotten the surgery but more I couldn't believe that I had actually done all of this to my body. Yeah I was always fat but never really realized what it did to my body. Idk..it just got to me pretty bad. I'm a negative nancy when it comes to myself and I think I need some positivity being 2 days out.

anyone have any good quotes to live by? Or any helpful tips or advice?

(deactivated member)
on 5/5/14 1:22 am - Canada

The pain will go away and we have all shed some tears along the way wondering what we have done to ourselves.

Well I can tell you what you have done (by making this decision and then losing and keeping the weight off)

• You've extended your life expectancy 
  • You have given yourself a chance to live a normal life without the hangups of obesity hanging over your head at a time in your life when fitting in and being accepted by peers is just as important as it was in high-school
  • You have taken away the regret of waiting another 10, 20, 30 or 40 years to do this
  • You have given your skin a chance to use it's youthfulness to bounce back with less surgery required.
  • You have a chance to build your confidence which will change your negative attitude which has probably come from building walls up around your fat body
  • You will be able to physically do anything you set your mind to because you won't be hindered by 100's of pounds
  • You will figure out that you are strong because you made a hard choice stuck to it no matter how it felt and accomplished what you didn't think was possible.

Don't doubt your decision, doubt the whispered lies in your head that tell you this isn't worth it.  And remember we all go through this stage at one time or another and come out of it.  Two days post op is too early to second guess your decision, your body has just been through major surgery if you felt too good it would be surprising.  Rest as much as possible that is what is going to help you the most.

Jazloseit
on 5/5/14 4:22 am

Thank you so much! 

Reading this to myself I reassured myself and my decision. I didn't think I can take on this big challenge but now I kinda have to so it's exciting! :)

ald731
on 5/5/14 5:25 am
VSG on 04/07/14

I really wish this surgery had been around when I was 19 - I spent my 20's very self-conscious about my body and let it keep me from pursuing a lot of stuff (like medical school). I understand you're feeling overwhelmed, but when you're 31 (like I am now) you'll be glad you did this at 19. Hugs to you!!

April:  HW- 323, SW-310, CW-159 (as of 9/25/15), Goal- 140; Pre-op (-13), M1 (-17), M2 (-16), M3 (-14), M4 (-13), M5 (-12), M6 (-8), M7 (-12), M8 (-8), M9 (-8), M10 (-5), M11 (-7), M12 (-5), M13 (-7), M14 (-0), M15 (-1), M16 (-5), M17 (-5)

cheryls222
on 5/5/14 1:24 am - Bothell, WA
VSG on 09/12/13

My words of wisdom.

Do the best you can each day.  Some days I do better than others.  If that is best I can do under what ever the cir****tances are, Then that's all I can do. 

We are all challenged each and every day.  Do the best you can and move on.

Starting W: 320  Surgery W (9/12/13): 279.8.

jujubslim
on 5/5/14 1:56 am
VSG on 03/17/14

This doesn't necessarily apply to the surgery itself, but something I say often as I'm living my new healthy lifestyle is when someone says "Oh you can't have that anymore" my response is I can have anything I want, I just choose to not have that. It just makes me feel more in control of my new lifestyle and not so deprived. It works for me. 

EmmyK
on 5/5/14 6:09 am - CA
VSG on 04/30/14

I'm 5 days out.  The first few days are miserable.  The fluid shift and the narcotics made me crazy and just not right in the head.  I feel a lot better today.  I hope you feel better soon.

My posts are for general information and do not constitute medical advice.  They should not serve as the basis for any medical decision by you.  Call your physician for advice.  HW 248  SW 233  CW 155

Jazloseit
on 5/5/14 7:49 am

5 days out?! Omg how do you feel? How'd your surgery go! 

Today was my first day at home and it's been dizziness sleep wake up drink water and protein walk come back to bed. I just feel so tired! 

EmmyK
on 5/5/14 8:03 am - CA
VSG on 04/30/14

I feel pretty ok today.  And yesterday.  I posted at day 3 that I wasn't loving life.  I'm not saying it is puppies and rainbows, but it is way better.  The tired WILL get better.  You've had major surgery, and your body needs to heal.

I was having CRAZY stress dreams with the narcotics.  Then, I was just so tired and worn out.  Slight dehydration and narcotics plus the after effects of anesthesia and those SWEET hospital narcotics, well, they always make me a bit "off." 

In the hospital?  In recovery, I was a hot MESS.  I was begging for more pain meds and crying and just a general textbook sad/no relief patient.  The scopalamine patch behind me ear...it causes crazy dryness in your mouth.  I knew that from my first cruise.  I lost my voice in the hospital because I couldn't sip til the leak test (and that stuff was NASTY.)  I was gargling and rinsing and spitting, but it wasn't enough for my throat.  As soon as I got home, I wished I had stayed!  They discharged me when I was still pretty happy on a Dilaudid cloud from my PCA.

Honestly?  I stopped taking any kind of painkillers yesterday.  I just didn't need them.  Not even Tylenol.  I'm drinking.  Since I'm having no pain, not taking painkillers, and I meet with a criteria that my previous surgeon told me, I'm driving short distances.  I hate to tempt fate or sound too braggy, but I feel like I turned a corner, so to speak.  I'm not naive enough to think that there aren't blind hairpin turns that can smack me back down to reality.  We'll take two steps forward and three steps back some days.  The pleasant weather here in the Bay Area means I'm not too hot, thank goodness.  It had gotten really warm last week.

I had some baaaad head hunger yesterday.  I find that sipping warm fluids...tea, broth, miso soup, calms my stomach.  The stupid Groupon for two dozen Krispy Kreme I got in my mail today pushed all my buttons: hot, fried carbs AND a bargain?!  LOL.  I mostly just laughed and was grateful I didn't get that deal a week ago.

I'm getting ready to go take a walk.  Something more than the walking around our house.  I've been a bit lazy because I was tired.  Time to put my Fitbit on and start making it ALL count!

My posts are for general information and do not constitute medical advice.  They should not serve as the basis for any medical decision by you.  Call your physician for advice.  HW 248  SW 233  CW 155

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 134 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 393 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 424 views