Hi All, Just found th...

PATI
on 7/25/05 11:50 am - Bridgeport, TX
Hi All, Just found this board seems they have one for everything. I'm not a diver yet my plan is to take lessons after my surgery but my husband and sister are after me to do it now.I guess my queston is are there any special problems in learning to dive while i am so heavy. They tell me it would be a good distraction while i wait on my surgery date ( Sep. 7)
ileanak
on 7/26/05 10:36 pm - San Antonio, TX
Hi Pat, I learned to dive years ago, when I was well into my upper 200's. From what you read, carrying the extra weight can pose some risks. I never did enriched dived (mixed gases) or stayed below for extended times (especially because my ex sucked his tank dry in half the time), so I never experience any problems diving heavy. I haven't been diving since my surgery last July, however. So I say go for it! Take te lessons, get comfortable under the water and enjoy a place where it is easier to move.... no matter what size you are (that is one thing I loved about diving). Ileana
ownop
on 7/29/05 7:26 am - st. joseph, MO
Hi Pat, welcome to the board. The excess weight itselfe is usualy not a problem, the co-morbities on the other hand still raise some questioins, I guess not much research has been done on the effects of diving on peaple with diabetes, high blood pressure and so on. If no co-morbities, jump in and have a great time, if there are, the dive shop and instructers usualy ask you to get your Dr.'s okee dokee before continuieng. Good Luck and let us know how it goes.
PATI
on 7/29/05 1:07 pm - Bridgeport, TX
thanks for your reponse, I don't have any co-morbities except a few stiff joints some time. I have decided to go ahead with the lessons on Aug. 6&7 I 'm not sure which to be more nervous about diving or surgery, one fear at a time right, so in one week i'll be blowing bubbles and one month after that i'll be on the lossing side.
ceekayess
on 7/31/05 3:09 am - Binghamton, NY
I have been on numerous snorkle trips and I will tell you this - at over 200 pounds I finally found the perfect sport for me! seriously - I float with hardly any help at all! Even with a bad neck and back it is the best thing I have ever done in my life! And snorkling can be more beautiful than diving as you can move over shallow reefs without harming them! John Pennecamp in Florida is about the most perfect place to snorkle! the groups are large BUT the area they take you too is perfect and they dont rush you like the snorkle/dive boats do. It never hurts to try. Many places havve local lessons in pools where it is very safe to learn!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Scuba Board
2sailaway · 1 replies · 410 views
new to the board
celestia96 · 1 replies · 347 views
4 days out of G Y Bypass
zlynnc · 0 replies · 322 views
snorkeling question
kristyb · 3 replies · 391 views
how is it with everyone
ownop · 1 replies · 343 views