Has anyone been diving po...

Miriam R.
on 4/28/04 4:08 am - Philadelphia, PA
Has anyone been diving post op? How long until I can dive?
Val B.
on 5/5/04 8:33 pm - Burleson, TX
I have not had my WLS yet but I know that you have to be very very healed. The increase presure on your abdomen could cause problems if you attempt to dive to soon. I would go easy on the depth also. Realy control your decent so you can feel what your body is going through. If you visit one of the agency websites, I am sure you can get some more anseres. PADI or NAUI
Deanna L.
on 6/5/04 11:27 am - Lancaster, TX
I had the lap band surgery done on 4/7/04. My doctor who also dives told me that there should not be any problems and that I should get back in the water as soon as possible. Good luck, which surgery are you having done?
Johnny A.
on 5/17/04 12:43 pm - Jacksonville, FL
Miriam Get your dive on! I dove about 6 weeks after having Lap RNY. One of the two surgeons is actually a Master Scuba Diver through PADI and has been diving for over 15 years. It realy depends on you, but so long as you feel comfortable and give it about 6 weeks for all incisions to properly heal, you should be all good. My first dive post-op was fresh water in a spring called Blue Grotto in Williston, FL and I made two dives. Both were maxed a little over 90fsw and each was around 35-40 minutes. I will tell you this, it certainly is wonderful to have to lug around more weights to sink! You may also want to consider your equipment. I went from a 3x BCD to a L in about 4 months! Thankfully my BCD was interchangeable and I only needed to change out the jacket, cumberbun, and shoulders. The inflator and bladder were all cool. I also have dropped from a 4x in a wetsuit down to an xl. I hope this helps and definitely let me know how things progress. Johnny Gorilla Dive Crew
Jim D.
on 7/9/04 5:51 am - Phoenix, AZ
I contacted Divers Alert Network asked if there had ever been any studies of people diving after WLS. Answer no but, as expected it would depend on the type of surgery and healing time. Type being any one that might have a pocket that gass may not be able to vent would cause problems. I am an instructor and this is a concern as I contimplate DS surgery myself. I have a friend who has been diving after his RNY and seems fine.
mako1120
on 7/29/04 1:47 am - Oakwood, GA
I know this is a little late, but maybeit will still help. My husband teaches Scuba fulltime and I am a certified DiveMaster so this was a big question for me before I had WLS. I had Lap RNY on 12-08-04 with no complications or post op problems. My surgeon released me to dive with no restrictions at my 1 month follow up appointment in January. I have logged 30+ dives since then with a maximum depth of 130ft and all has been fine. The only difference I have noticed was how much easier it is to keep back up the dive ladder! Happy diving!
Miriam R.
on 7/29/04 10:39 pm - Philadelphia, PA
Laura, Thanks for your note. It's the most reassuring one yet. I looked at your picture and it doesn't look like a fat person at all. When did you have your surgery? Last December? Or even earlier, the year before? There's a typo on the date. I've been exercizing a lot, and feel much fitter than the last time I dived. I'm sure the dive ladder would be easier! Maybe I'll go diving at the end of the summer. The doctor told me I could dive after 6 weeks, and I surely didn't believe him. But it's 2 months and I think I could dive. Another part of the concern was my husband's worry about medical care out of the US. (I don't do much/any cold-water local diving anymore). I think he's finally convinced that I'm OK. Enjoy your dives. Mimi
mako1120
on 7/29/04 11:06 pm - Oakwood, GA
Hi Miriam I am sorry about the date typo. My surgery was on 12-08-03.. almost 8 months ago. I am at my goal weight of 175.. I have lost 105 lbs. Did you have Open RNY or Lap RYN? I wouldn't be concerned with medical care and traveling as long as you are completely healed. We are leaving in the morning on Blackbeards Cruises to the Bahamas for a week and I did buy DAN insurance so that I could be transported home should anything happen, but my surgeon told me not to worry. If I was going to have problems with my pouch, I would already had them by now. Where do you normally go for warm water diving? Hopefully you will be able to get a trip in by the end of the summer. Take care.. Laura
Miriam R.
on 7/30/04 4:55 am - Philadelphia, PA
Hi Laura, I was 275 and had lap RYN. I'm 45 down now. I had had a stroke in March 2003 and went diving at Christmas at Capt Don's in Bonaire. I chose it for ease of diving. I bought DAN and some other travel insurance. I had so much insurance, I could have been brought home on my own plane! And there was no need, thank goodness. I've been diving since 77 and have dove all over the world. I'm a travel agent for scuba. Have you been on Blackbeard's before? It's loads of fun if there's a good crowd. Will you take any food stuff with you? Protein shakes, etc? I imagine that you won't eat a lot of what they prepare. It'll be interesting to know how you manage. I'm going to a spa in Mexico next month, and think I will take protein shake and powdered milk with me. I have a tough time getting in the 60 grams of protein a day, and eating veggies or fiber. I can't eat beef or dry chicken. I'll eat a lot of beans. Have a great trip (are you guys taking a group?). Should you be speaking to the couple that owns Blackbeards: please tell them that Mimi Rosen says hi. (a blast from the past) Mimi [email protected]
mako1120
on 7/30/04 5:41 am - Oakwood, GA
Small Scuba world huh? Yes, this is my 7th consecutive trip on Blackbeards.. We always book Pirates Lady the first week in August each year. My Husband teaches at SeaVentures (add www. for the website) in Atlanta and they actually have booked the entire boat each year for the last 15 years or so.. usually we have 23 divers including my husband and myself.. minimum of 22.. We sell this trip out every year.. It always is great trip, mainly because everyone knows each other and most have been on Blackbeards at least once before so they know what to expect. SeaVentures holds the distinct honor of having the most repeat customers on Blackbeards. Last year we only had 2 "virgins". Since I am almost 8 months out, I can eat pretty much anything meat wise. I stay away from fat and sugar. I am not taking my protein shakes because I just don't want to have to deal with it on the boat. I am taking Beef Jerky and my vitamins. The cooks are usually great about special needs so I don't anticipate any problems. I will let you know when I get back how it all goes. Have a great week!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Scuba Board
2sailaway · 1 replies · 410 views
new to the board
celestia96 · 1 replies · 347 views
4 days out of G Y Bypass
zlynnc · 0 replies · 322 views
snorkeling question
kristyb · 3 replies · 391 views
how is it with everyone
ownop · 1 replies · 343 views