Vitamin recommendations?

kevinvw
on 4/4/11 11:40 am - NJ
Hi all,

I am realizing that I HATE my chewable vitamins. I have been taking Bariatric Fusion chewables since before surgery and they are grossing me out now; to the point that I haven't taken them in 2 days.

My nutrititionist said that I could take OTC vitamins like Centrum, but I'm not sure if that is ideal since they are 1-a-days and with malabsorption I might not be getting what I need.

I was contemplating ordering the Journey capsules online but they seem super pricey. Bariatric Adantage makes a capsule as well. I'd prefer ot to have to take a fistful of vitamins multiple times a day because I will forget.

I've also heard that capsule vitamins aren't as good because they don't break down as well post-surgery due to less stomach acid.

I'm confused!!! Does anyone have any suggestions?!?!?

Thanks,
Kevin
Kevin
Lap RNY: 3/16/11
Dr. Robert Brolin - www.njbariatricspc.com
  "Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.? - Dr. Seuss

Bill O.
on 4/4/11 11:45 am - NC
 Centrum makes a chewable.  My nutritionist said to still chew 2 per day (one in the morning and one at night) and all will be fine.  That is of course if you are taking your calcium and b12.  The centrum is orange flavor, 100 tabs per bottle.  Hope this helps
kevinvw
on 4/4/11 11:47 am - NJ
Thanks. I'd tried those before I got the Bariatric Fusion vitamins. Those did not taste well at all to me and the texture was way to chalky.
Lady Lithia
on 4/4/11 11:53 am
I did the centrum chewables for two months postop and then swallowed pills. You don't need chewables forever

Also you do need to take 200% USRDA due to malabsorption

I haven't heard good things about the Journey or the Fusion, so I would be cautious using those.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

vitalady
on 4/4/11 12:34 pm - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
Not commenting on brands.

SOFT gels are bad because they usually are oil based and we don't absorb fats and oils to any reliable degree. But it's not the gelatin, it's the insides.

Capsules melt down very quickly in saliva, no****er.

Tablets can go either way. I only take a few tablets, but I tested them in an oz of saliva-infested water for timing.

I take capsules for most everything. No pointy edges.

But I never, ever chewed vites.

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

kevinvw
on 4/4/11 12:37 pm - NJ
Thanks! Very valuable info!
poet_kelly
on 4/4/11 2:58 pm - OH
2 Centrums a day would be MUCH better than the four Bariatric Fusions you've been using.  With BF you really need eight a day to get all the vitamins you need.

The Journey ones are terrible for us.  Have lots of types of vites we don't absorb well.  Don't waste your money.

Capsules work fine, though.  Don't need much stomach acid to break them down.  They dissolve in water and it's all wet in your pouch.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
Recent Topics