Recent Posts

michele035
on 1/1/23 4:50 am - PA
Topic: RE: Revision from RNY to DS

Hi, I had a revision from RNY to DS in June 2019 and went from 272 to 220. Things went very slow. I think I didn't really realize that when you aren't having a "virgin" surgery, you don't lose as much as quickly. I went very fast and lost a LOT on my RNY. I had the same expectations (stupidly) with the DS. OK facts, I was menopausal (older) so a slower metabolism as well. I was on the right track losing (albeit slowly) when COVID hit. Couldn't go to the gym and stopped losing due to bad eating habits, no exercise etc. Totally my own fault. If I hadn't done that, I don't know how much I could have lost. I am currently trying to get myself back on track after a few years of just living stupidly and not focusing on my weight and health.

The one thing I wish I had done, was manage my expectations of how fast and how much I would lose. In doing a lot of research I know that the revision surgeries are slower and may/may not lose as much. I have read stories of people who have lost a LOT of weight but not as much or as quickly as their first surgery. I think just managing your expectations of how quickly you lose is important. RNY you really lose quickly. DS definitely not as much. Hope this helps.

pittmannathan
on 12/24/22 12:08 pm
Topic: RE: Should I look into a Revision?

How much did the dr say u had to regain to qualify for the tore procedure?

pattyLynnTrish
on 12/22/22 7:26 am
Topic: RE: Rny to StomaphyX

Hello, I am not sure what RNY, StomaphyX procedure is? I'll have to look it up. I am to have RNY to "Limb Distalization" Procedure.? Verbiage differences?

I had RNY, open, no laproscopy, jn 2002, and now 20 yrs out, have looked into options, where I had gone, back I n early 2000's, it's all changed, I'm a new patient, paperwork, meet 3 RN, Dietition, and PA, upper GI, Endoscopy, etc. Ooofta!!! I have a hernea again, pouch looks normal size, they thought my pouch, and Remnant regular gut, were open to each other, fluids going jnto my old, during upper gi, but a team of Drs, said they don't think so? But, my options were a DS, and they call it "DISTALIZATION" my RNY to limb Distalization. But looking it up, looks like a DS? They will shorten the common channel, intestines,, and lengthen the other, dillopancreztlic limb.

So, I've also now had ANOTHER PHYC EVAL, And got a Approved there, next is a meeting with my chosen surgeon, out yet 3 weeks! Then I believe, get on the list for surgery. Anyone knowing this procedure, and results?

I will check into your procedure, and see differences.

Good luck to you.

White Dove
on 12/17/22 9:53 pm - Warren, OH
Topic: RE: Revised 10/29

Acid reflux is terrible and I am glad that they are going to reverse you to RNY. Please let us know how you are doing.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Hohotum
on 12/15/22 10:54 am
VSG on 11/08/17
Topic: RE: Revised 10/29

I'm Scheduled for 12/28 for revision from sleeve to RNY. I've had really bad acid reflux and food was getting stuck in my esophagus.

ktharp89
on 12/14/22 5:51 am - Gaithersburg, MD
Topic: Thinking about revision due to complications

I had roux en y gastric bypass in March 2011 and I lost about 80 pounds. Over the course of the last decade with 2 babies and just life I've gained back about 50 lbs. I am considering talking to a surgeon about a possible revision because I've had complications for so long. Half the time I eat I am sick even if it is "safe" food. I feel nauseous constantly and food is always getting stuck. I am nervous about talking to someone because when I tried explaining my troubles to my surgeon after my original surgery he told me it was normal and I was learning to eat differently. Now, a decade later, I feel like my complications are not normal. Has anyone experienced this? I have absolutely no idea what will happen when I talk to someone about this. I'd love any insight.

Thanks.

White Dove
on 12/9/22 11:29 am - Warren, OH
White Dove
on 12/9/22 11:25 am - Warren, OH
Topic: RE: Revision providers in Buffalo NY?

The miracle of RNY weight loss lasts approximately 18 to 30 months. After that honeymoon stage, the rebound starts. Having a baby or being in an abusive relationship does not cause the regain. That is the body recovering from the forced starvation of the initial malabsorption. Hunger increases as the body tries to get back what was lost. Your intestines begin to absorb calories again.

Even if everything in life is going perfect, we gain back 20 pounds by the end of year three and often about 50 pounds by the end of year five. I have had regain several times and lost it again with careful counting of calories. There is nothing to be embarrassed about. Most of the revisions for RNY result in about a 20 pound weight loss. Going to a DS procedure can result in more and longer lasting loss, but also has more risk of complications.

Your first step is seeing a surgeon and getting information about what they recommend. Do not settle for any kind of revision. Research and chose what will work best for you.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Stella-Blue
on 12/8/22 9:09 pm - Where the four winds blow me safely home, NY
Topic: RE: Revision providers in Buffalo NY?
  • Sorry about horrible typing.

Start: 487 lbs (8/07) Lost 81 lbs pre op on South Beach. 406 lbs at surgery (6/08). 179 post op, by 2011. I  lost 308 lbs. Gained 98 while pregnant (2012-13) lost all but 25. My goal is to be 179 again!
   siggy1 photo b83557eb-1c5e-4e0a-90b7-89760c2e36e2.jpg   Two years after that.... photo 44fcb3ac-18c4-4dfd-bf38-d324f956cf75.jpg      photo c2781653-fea8-4141-8cac-f0889127d077.jpg  I could not be happier. 

Stella-Blue
on 12/8/22 9:07 pm - Where the four winds blow me safely home, NY
Topic: Revision providers in Buffalo NY?

Its been a while! Hi all. I was once over 500 lbs. (406 at surgery****pt it all off for 7 years, had a baby, gaibed 98lbs with her, lost 81 of it and stayed there for years. 5years ago my ex fiancee started hitting me. I turned to food. We had 3 uears 9f court, very stressful, I turned to more food. Domestic violence court ended, Nd 2 weeks later....Covid Lockdoen, of course I turned to food. I am also in non stop 7-8 pain when doing anythibg orher than latmying down due to needint both knees replaced. They want me to lose 80 50 pounfs to have knees done. I feel hopeless. Due to my abuser, I was *not allowed* to go to dr appts, I have not seen my surgeon in over 11 years. I feel so ashamed. I can barely walk. I am using a walker or my trusty ski poles. I hate this. I want revisio SO BAD. Where do I start? I now have a 9 yr old daughter and I want her to know happy mom, mom who loved hiking and hoola hooping, not sad couxh mom.Any suggestions for a surgeon in Buffalo, or nearby who will do ANY kind of revision?

Start: 487 lbs (8/07) Lost 81 lbs pre op on South Beach. 406 lbs at surgery (6/08). 179 post op, by 2011. I  lost 308 lbs. Gained 98 while pregnant (2012-13) lost all but 25. My goal is to be 179 again!
   siggy1 photo b83557eb-1c5e-4e0a-90b7-89760c2e36e2.jpg   Two years after that.... photo 44fcb3ac-18c4-4dfd-bf38-d324f956cf75.jpg      photo c2781653-fea8-4141-8cac-f0889127d077.jpg  I could not be happier. 

Most Active