Should I look into a Revision?

alhawkes
on 8/9/22 7:52 am

I had RNY 19 years ago. I lost 172lbs after surgery. I had no complications and kept the weight off , give or take about 20lbs. However, in the last 7 years, due to stress, getting older, hormones. I gained about 60lbs. I have tried several diets, only loosing about 12-15lbs only to gain it back. I still don't eat a lot in one sitting, I still take vitamins and I eat fairly healthy. I have had blood work done by my primary care doctor and most of my levels are normal, except for B-12 and Vitamin D, which I do shots for B-12 and prescription D. But that shouldn't cause me to have weight gain. I am back on this website for help and suggestions. Should I look into a revision?

White Dove
on 8/12/22 5:50 am - Warren, OH

i started researching weight loss surgery in 2003. I had my surgery in 2007. I lost all the excess weight and kept it off until 2016. Then I had kidney issues and had to change from high protein diet to a diet with low protein and more carbs. I gradually gained back 30 pounds over three years. I have watched many people who had revisions.

To prepare for the revision they go to a liquid diet for a period before and after the revision. They lose about 20 pounds. They gradually go back to eating solid foods and they regain that 20 pounds. The sad truth is that we all learn how to eat enough calories to gain weight even with a tiny stomach.

My personal solution has been Weigh****chers. Their current plans allow me to eat any food that I want as long as I count the points. I have lost all of the excess weight and once again keep it off fairly effortlessly. I do attend virtual meetings almost every day. I also weigh myself every day, so know if I am up even one pound.

I prepare delicious meals. I exercise. I am inspired by the other members who share their journey. Revisions really do not work. Even people *****vise to DS or DS variations usually end up at about 50 pounds over their goal weight. The secret is the same as it has always been. You have to burn more calories than you take in. To lose one pound a week, you have to eat 500 less calories each day than your body burns. It is slow but in a year that is 52 pounds.

I would really advise you to read the Weigh****cher book, The Shift. It has wonderful stories and exposes a lot of the things that keep people from being successful. Don't put your body through a surgery that will not help. The only way to lose and maintain the loss is to find out how to be satisfied on the amount of food that your body needs to maintain your goal.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

maboots
on 8/18/22 6:26 am

I had RNY 13 years ago and had weight gain over the recent years. I had a revision in December 2021, the TORe procedure, and it gave me exactly what I needed. I am now down 60 lbs and still loosing (almost at my lowest from RNY) and very active again and happy. Best decision I ever made. It is like when I originally had the RNY with restriction and I am not hungry. The procedure is done like an endoscopy and you are home the same day.

alhawkes
on 8/30/22 3:44 pm

Thank you for the reply, i researched the TORe and the ROSE, and they seem much less evasive as a full revision. This is very encouraging. I actually have an appointment and referral to the Doctor that did my original surgery. I have to attend a seminar for revisions first, but hopefully they do one or both of these types of revisions.

antionettelewis525
on 9/29/22 11:49 am - Creedmoor, NC

Hi i had ryn in 2002 now Ive gained all back.Looking to do a revision.Does your insurance cover the tore?

maboots
on 9/29/22 11:56 am

My insurance did cover the procedure.

antionettelewis525
on 9/29/22 11:57 am - Creedmoor, NC

Okay thanks,I have bluecross blueshield

BIGGY
on 10/3/22 9:57 am - Tulsa, OK
VSG on 07/24/12

My Insurance won't cover it . Even if it's medically necessary. I am so upset . My doctor said he would write a letter but his assistant said they won't cover even if he writes a letter because it's excluded from my benefits.

HW:375 (04/02/12) 
SW:339 (07/
24/12)
CW:244 (11/13/14)

pittmannathan
on 12/24/22 12:08 pm

How much did the dr say u had to regain to qualify for the tore procedure?

Rafael T.
on 4/3/23 12:32 pm

Where did you have (TORE) done? How much was it?

Most Active
Recent Topics