upset and having problems

no_more_rolls
on 7/23/11 9:20 am - Jackson, MI
I'm 15 days post-op today.  I've spent the last day and a half in the hospital due to nausea and vomiting that led to dehydration and I just got home.  The whole time I was at the hospital I wanted to contact my OH friends.   I was on phenergan initially for the nausea and it quit working, but was just switched to zofran while in the hospital.  Now I am on a clear liquid diet for 3 days and will gradually progress to liquid proteins then mushy foods over the next week.  Oh and I STILL have a serious case of thrush going on.  I thought I was doing so well, but then I got to the point that I couldn't even keep a few sips of water down...so it was not a volume issue as suggested previously.  I feel like I'm failing before it's even had a chance to work.  At this point I really need some advice or words of encouragement.  I'm worried if I continue this path that 1.) I'm going to develop some bad health issues 2.) This is going to scare the hell out of my hubby so bad that he won't get the DS in a few months as he has planned.

~Roxy
Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is.  
DONT BE AFRAID TO FAIL......BE AFRAID NOT TO TRY! 
highest weight 313/ surgery 255 / current 185 / goal 135  Height 5'6"

Esther B.
on 7/23/11 9:25 am - Rainy & Cloudy, WA
I am pre-op so I have nothing to share from experience, but I wanted to send good thoughts and best wishes your way and for you to know that others care about your progress and hope that you get well soon.  I believe that in a few months you'll look back and see that it was just a small hiccup on your journey towards better health.  Try to get some rest.  I'm sure others with more experience than me will post soon.  Take care.
no_more_rolls
on 7/23/11 9:32 am - Jackson, MI
 Thank you Esther 
 I am so hoping this is just a small "hiccup" along the way.  Even pre-op I had a very sensitive  stomach and sense of smell, so things are just a little more easily aggravated right now.  I think I  would of had these issues with any WLS, it's just the set-back that upsets me.
Esther B.
on 7/23/11 9:46 am - Rainy & Cloudy, WA
I totally understand your concerns.  It would probably upset me as well if I were in your shoes as I too tend to have a sensitive stomach.  You've prepared yourself for this day and I'm sure somewhere in that storehouse of knowledge you acquired pre-op you will find the tools you need to get through this and on to the other side. 

Remember...there are cookies waiting for you!!  (mushy ones anyway). 
larra
on 7/23/11 10:16 am - bay area, CA
I think you're right that this is just a bump on the road. A nasty bump, to be sure, but still a bump.
     Many people struggle to stay hydrated after this major surgery, and with thrush getting in the way...well, that just really sucks.
     but hopefully you are now being treated for the thrush, and feeling better with the fluids, and on the mend. The first month is tough even when nothing goes wrong, but really, honest, and truly, it DOES get better.

Larra
NoMore B.
on 7/23/11 10:50 am
 I know it seems horrible now.  I also ended up back in the hospital within a month of my surgery.  At that time my brother was scheduled for his DS about 3 months after mine.  I remember an especially bad day telling my husband that I could not recommend my brother go through what I went through.

It passed, and is just a distant memory to me now.  It does get better but it takes some time.  Soon enough you'll be past this, but I dont mean to downplay how you feel TODAY because I know it's very difficult.  Just please trust the fact that it does get better.

One thing that helped me on bad days was to look at before and after pictures and testimonials of vets.  It was inspirational and kept me focused on why I had surgery.

Hang in there (hugs)
(deactivated member)
on 7/23/11 11:25 am - Beverly, NJ

HIJACK!

Speaking of checking out Before and afters and vets stories, I LOVE your new avatar!  LOOKING GOOD there!

Panda ..
on 7/24/11 5:32 am
(deactivated member)
on 7/23/11 11:23 am - Beverly, NJ

:(  I thought I was having a hard time.... I'm sooo sorry you have to feel this way.  It will get better.  I may not know from experience but from being totally devoured by this forum I can see that it will.  I'm glad you went to the hospital to get help.  Thats the first step in the right direction.   I have an appointment with Dr. G on Tuesday where I hope he'll put me on better meds because smells are really making me run in the other direction the past few days.  Even the smell of my house is making me turn green, and I know my house smells good I'm obsessed with that.

Feel better *hug* we'll get through this and one day you'll be posting your before and afters!

no_more_rolls
on 7/23/11 10:49 pm - Jackson, MI
 Yeah the "smell" thing is sooo odd!  I hope that is only temporary.  I felt so bad when I was in the hospital, because on more than 1 occasion I had to cover my nose or dry heaved while talking to hospital staff.  It was not because they smelled bad...well they wouldn't to most people...but just the smell of their deodorant, soap, or breath really got to me.  They could be 5-6 feet away and I could still smell them.  Ewww, it turns my stomach to think of it!  I actually dry heaved when the cleaning lady came in my room.  I couldn't help it.  I apologized and told her that she smelled too much of cleaner.  She quickly apologized and asked me not to tell anyone since she was afraid she would get in trouble and backed out the room.  Poor thing she couldn't help it, she was just doing her job.

I hope you feel better soon too   you're right we'll get through this...but you'll have to post before and afters too!  LOL

~Roxy
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 695 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1011 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 340 views