upset and having problems

Julie R.
on 7/23/11 12:36 pm - Ludington, MI
 Aww, I'm so sorry Roxie that you've not felt well.      I hope this is just a nasty little bump, as Larra states.   I know that some people have a real rough time with nausea and sensitivities and thrush can REALLY heighten that.   Don't worry so much about your protein - you've got reserves.   Worry about your fluids.   I'll tell you what helped me more than anything, and that was peppermint tea.    If you haven't tried that, do so, and let me know, just for ****s and giggles, whether you can manage that well.     I've heard that ginger tea works miracles too.   As a matter of fact, I recently took the Badger across Lake Michigan from Manitowoc, WI to Ludington.   We had TERRIBLE rolling seas, and lots of people were getting really sick.   I was very nauseated, which is highly unusual for me.  The attendants passed out ginger gum, and I'll be buggered if it didn't work.   

Oh - and try some egg drop soup.   Those are my sure-fire cures for everything, hun.

I've PM'd you my phone number, just in case you want someone to talk, whine or complain to, okay?
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

no_more_rolls
on 7/23/11 10:35 pm - Jackson, MI
Julie, I actually told my hubby egg drop soup sounded good and I had normal decaf Lipton tea in the hospital that sat well with me...so I think I will have to try those (or your suggestions on teas) now that I'm home!  

I will give you a call within the next couple of days Julie, I promise.  I'm still wanting to sleep a lot, but I'm not sure how that is going to work today.  Last night our ho****er heater died, which we thought it might anyhow from when a ho****er pipe broke and damaged everything a few weeks ago.  So, today my hubby will most likely be making lots of noise replacing it.
Julie R.
on 7/24/11 7:29 am - Ludington, MI
 Try the peppermint tea.  Something about the peppermint (or ginger) really soothes nausea.
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

(deactivated member)
on 7/24/11 12:38 pm - Yorktown, VA
I was going to recommend warm peppermint tea, but I see Julie beat me to it!  It really helped me!
2bee.or.not2bee
on 7/23/11 9:38 pm
 I agree with all the wisdom posted here! It is a bump in the road, and you WILL feel better. The tea's are a great idea. I like the ginger tea the best, but everyone is different. I am glad you are getting treated for the thrush, that resolving will help a ton. I am not ignoring that you feel awful right now, but just want to tell you that you will be feeling better soon.
With prayers for healing and cyber hugs,
~CC

Romans 8:28                                  VSG 1/23/10  DS 5/15/11

VSG weight = 143 kg  VSG low = 116 kg  DS weight = 141.5
lookthrshegos
on 7/23/11 9:54 pm - Huntland, TN
Awww, I'm so sorry you are having a tuff time.  It brought back some of the ickiness I had when I was in the first few weeks.

I do know that thrush is awful.  It made me so sick at my stomach.  I never knew it would do that.  Just thought it made your mouth sore.  Anywho, when I realized I had it and started treatment my stomach got better.  Also I was on omeprazole(sp) and still am.  It works wonderfully for me. 

Like they said, sip sip sip.  I know it sounds so insufficient when that advice is given but it really is the most important at this stage of the game. 

This stage passes fairly quickly for most.  Just hang in there and don't be down on yourself. 

no_more_rolls
on 7/23/11 11:02 pm - Jackson, MI
Thank you everyone! As usual your words of advice and encouragement are helping me make it through! I'm so worried about my hubby not following through with his DS because of my health issues. I made sure to read him everyone's posts so he knows that what I'm going through is not the norm and the thrush has aggravated things and made it worse. All I can do now, is wait and see. Even though I am still on clears, I feel better today than I've felt in a week (except when I smell something). I just have to make sure I stay this way. sip, sip, sip...
MarciRenee
on 7/24/11 8:34 pm - IA
Just wanted to make sure - they are treating your thrush, yes?  If what they've given you isn't making a difference make sure you call them back and let them know it isn't working.

And the smells thing - it will get better.  It sucks when your sense of smell is so heightened b/c it seems that the only thing you DO smell are the things that make you want to barf!

Sip-sip-sip

This really is just a bump in the road and will pass!  I never got dehydrated and had an complication free recovery...but was still very tired for the first weeks.  So don't push yourself to do too much and just keep sipping.
Marci       
no_more_rolls
on 7/25/11 6:04 am - Jackson, MI
Thankfully they are treating the thrush with 2 different medications and they just increased the dosage of 1 today   As long as it helps, I'll be happy!!!
Lisa A.
on 7/24/11 11:41 pm - Windsor, NY
I'm not trying to be discouraging but I think what you are going through does happen to alot of people. This is a very serious surgery and it absolutely can and does cause people problems. There are those that get by with no problems (I'm so jelous of them) but there are those of us that do have problems. Maybe they are just "bumps" in the road but while you are going through them it can be pretty awful.

I was very sick for 6 months after my surgery. I was nauseous every day (all day) for 6 months. I threw up multiple times a day. I had a hard time with getting protein down. I lived on slussies (I froze snapples) and ice pops. My staple was cottage cheese and baby pears. Through all of this I was back at work 3 weeks out from open DS and it was a constant struggle just to work. Even different smells made me sick.

After multiple tests it was determined I had severe reflux (which I never had before the surgery) so after he switched my meds and I continued on my anti nausea meds I was able to slowly recover. I basically had to relearn to eat starting with baby foods (it reminded me of when my kids were little). I had absolutely no appetite so that made it harder. I didn't realize that the hormone grelin can stop working and for some people the hunger sensation never returns. For me it has returned.

With having said all that, just take it one day at a time and you will get through it. This is a very serious surgery and can have a different outcome for everyone (as you have seen on this forum).

I personall just take each day as it comes. There are more better than worse (thank god). You just learn to roll with it. Some days your hunger is more than others and you just go with what your body tells you. You definately learn to listen to your body. You are in a learning phase.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 977 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1169 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 437 views