What is the BEST

Mowgaw
on 11/15/05 10:19 pm - Columbus, OH
computer anti virus if you have DSL???????? I have Norton System Works right now. I was told that I should really have Zone Alarm but have read mixed reviews. Any input is appreciated. THANKS.
terrydade
on 11/27/05 9:51 pm - Rockford, IL
I use two programs on all the computers that I build and disinfect. They're both free, and IMO, better than Norton or Zone Alarm. For viruses, I use Grisoft AVG, which is at free.grisoft.com and for spyware, I use Microsoft antispyware (for Windows XP and Windows 2000 PCs) or Spybot 1.4 for Windows ME and Windows 98. You can find them at www.microsoft.com for MS antispyware, and www.download.com for Spybot 1.4 I used Norton for years until they were acquired by Symantec. Now I've found that they just aren't catching the viruses like AVG does. Zone Alarm is okay as a firewall, but I've found that when they come out with an update, it can cause a lot of problems. If you have Windows XP, there's a firewall built in. Hope this helps! Terry
flyboynm
on 9/22/09 8:42 am - Los Alamos, NM
I agree with the above post about anti-spyware, which you can also find at www.majorgeeks.com, but disagree with her about Anti-Virus.  Symantec Endpoint Protection is what I use on all the PCs I support (approximately 300) and haven't had any problems with it.  If you want a free solution, I agree with AVG, but Avant is also a great program.  Both of those are available at www.majorgeeks.com.  To get them, on the left side of the screen, you will see antivirus and antispyware, click on the appropriate catagory and it will list the various programs available.  Choose the one that you want to use.

A side note for you.  You can run 2 or more antispyware programs, but you should never have more than 1 software firewall or antivirus software.  Also, remember to update your definitions to both antivirus and antispyware otherwise it isn't worth having the programs to protect you.
Most Active
Recent Topics
I Updated My Laptop To Windows 10.
Watson · 0 replies · 284 views
Windows 10 (Part 2)
Watson · 0 replies · 487 views
Internet Explorer
Watson · 0 replies · 369 views
Windows 10
Watson · 0 replies · 384 views
Windows 8.1
Watson · 0 replies · 382 views