Nov Book

SuziJones
on 11/9/09 12:03 am
Yep. I'm STILL reading books monthly!! hehe

This month I chose Charles Dickens "A tale of Two Cities" 
It is slow going so far. Some of the expressions used and speech used during his time is kind of hard to follow at times.

For instance:
The solictor (this is set in England after all! hehe) that is hired to defend the man accused of being a French spy has another guy he went to school with doing his research work and writing his stratagy for him, only thing, I'm not sure why....hmmm

This is suppose to be a book about England AND France, and so far it's been about a man that was wrongfully inprisoned for YEARS and then escaped to England with his grown daughter that went back to France to find him. So not sure when the story moves to France and talks about the French Revolution that will take place there.

So I'm thinking I will have to read this again! hehe

But I am enjoying the beautiful poetic picture that Dickens paints with his words. It's like watching a movie for me, only some time, it gets out of focus or the sound gets garbled so I can't understand what is going on! hehe

Here is what the book looks like;
 this is the copy of the book I have Wordsworth edition

Cover for Dickens's A Tale of Two Cities

A bit of history on Charles Dickens:
https://park204.wikispaces.com/Anthony-A+Tale+Of+Two+Cities? f=print

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You have to expect things of yourself before you can do them.  ~Michael Jordan 
My Goals:
1) 200lbs ACCOMPLISHED
3) 170lbs
4) Run 5K
"Unneeded food is not any less wasted in a body that doesnt need it, than it is in the trash." ~Brandilynn
 "Those that will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants." ~William Penn

~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
onerland-2.jpg My Onerland!! picture by minnlay
steve40004
on 3/10/10 8:44 am - Bardstown, KY
You might try A Christmas Carol, next.  It's shorter than Two Cities.  The ultimate Dickens is Bleak House.
SuziJones
on 3/10/10 10:25 pm
I have heard of the Bleak House, but never read it. Thank you for the suggestion.
My Goals:
1) 200lbs ACCOMPLISHED
3) 170lbs
4) Run 5K
"Unneeded food is not any less wasted in a body that doesnt need it, than it is in the trash." ~Brandilynn
 "Those that will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants." ~William Penn

Lynda D.
on 2/22/11 6:10 pm
I loved A Tale of Two Cities. It is a hard read though. I read it about five years ago and if I remember correctly, the man who marries the daughter has to go back to France for some reason (can't remember) and ends up imprisoned there. That's how the story moves to France.

I actually learned a lot about the French Revolution from this story.

Lynda

First Surgery Date: November 5, 2005
Surgery Type: RNY--Proximal
Height: 5' 3"
Beginning Weight: 250 lbs.
Lowest Weight: 125 lbs.
Current Weight: 230 lbs. Seeking Revision to DS

SuziJones
on 2/23/11 9:30 am
Lynda,
I was able to understand most of it. It is a hard read, but well worth the effort! Dickins is a wonderful writer. I'm now hunting for Bleak House as suggested by another poster.
My Goals:
1) 200lbs ACCOMPLISHED
3) 170lbs
4) Run 5K

Most Active
Recent Topics
Any writers here?
Dagne Tripplehorn · 2 replies · 697 views
is aybody out there?????
susieequte · 0 replies · 557 views
jennifer weiner
susieequte · 3 replies · 1043 views
books
jen73076 · 2 replies · 812 views