Book for Sept.

SuziJones
on 9/3/09 12:38 am
Well I LOVE reading. I noted that this forum isn't use much, so I thought perhaps starting a monthly reading club might be good. Get some of us reading the same books and discussing weekly where we are and what we like so far, what we didn't, and how we 'think' it might turn out or migh happen.

So I'll leave this here for a couple of days and we can brain storm about our first book to read. So start posting WLSers!!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You have to expect things of yourself before you can do them.  ~Michael Jordan 
My Goals:
1) 200lbs ACCOMPLISHED
3) 170lbs
4) Run 5K
"Unneeded food is not any less wasted in a body that doesnt need it, than it is in the trash." ~Brandilynn
 "Those that will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants." ~William Penn

~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
onerland-2.jpg My Onerland!! picture by minnlay
Tricia M.
on 9/3/09 12:47 am - Bakersfield, CA
Do you have any books in mind? I'm not the biggest reading fan but as of recently it has grown on me.
Tricia   124 lbs lost with lapband...band removed on 9/19/09...Ticker is post removal centuryclubcardcopy.jpg Century Club Card image by sunfire_prinzes

SuziJones
on 9/3/09 1:07 am
My tastes range from the classics to sci-fi. hehe

I was actually thinking of Dan Brown's books. Maybe one of those. "The Davinici Cod" or his other one "Angels and Demons".

Or any other suggestions that people might have. Is there one that you have seen and wanted to read? 

I like Jodi Picoult's books too. 'Nineteen minutes" and the one just made into a movie, "My sister's keeper"

Another WLSer left this link from several months ago,
http://www.paperbackswap.com/index.php
looks like a WONDERFUL site for very little money, like an Internet library! hehe
My Goals:
1) 200lbs ACCOMPLISHED
3) 170lbs
4) Run 5K
"Unneeded food is not any less wasted in a body that doesnt need it, than it is in the trash." ~Brandilynn
 "Those that will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants." ~William Penn

lejoyrothe
on 9/3/09 1:48 am - Minneapolis, MN
Okay, so I'm not sure if it's cool to suggest this and you all might not like romance novels, but I'm a published author and what I've published so far are a full-length paranormal romance (easy read) and a short story in a Valentine's anthology.

As soon as my daughter gets off to her first year in preschool on the 16th of this month, I'm going to finish my other short story and another full-length book that's nearly finished.  One thing at a time, right?

The last one I mentioned is a smart, super-sexy novel with betrayal, travel, murder, laughter and espionage.  There's not a lot of blood in it, but you wish you could strangle the bad guy!

Anyway, if you all are intersted I could post the link to purchase them (on amazon) and maybe we could talk about that one.  If you don't like romances of any kind, I can direct you to some of the other authors in the publishing company I'm with.  New authors deserve a chance too!  :o)

I LOVE to read and mostly read romance, but I also love to read sci-fi, medical drama, mystery, biographies and true stories.
Love & Belief,  LeJoy R.

Read a good book lately?  Try mine!  (Pen name: Janette Lewie)
"Sonya Recovered."  Available through Amazon.com and through my website!
www.gentleillumination.com            
SuziJones
on 9/3/09 2:11 am
Totally something to consider sweety! Thank you! 

My concern is getting the book in time to read for this month and if people can afford to purchase it. I was hoping to keep it something that a local libary or second hand store might carry.

Next month though we can put that suggestion out there and give people enough time to purchase it.

Congrats to you on being an author! That's hard work! I have only a few things published, because it's SOO hard!! hehe

Great idea though!
My Goals:
1) 200lbs ACCOMPLISHED
3) 170lbs
4) Run 5K

Tricia M.
on 9/3/09 11:18 am - Bakersfield, CA
LeJoy that sounds like a good idea. But I agree that we could use it for next month or in the future so everyone can get it in time. Like i said before I am still new at reading books for enjoyment so I am willing to read anything while I am finding my genre. Keep me posted on books for the month.
Tricia   124 lbs lost with lapband...band removed on 9/19/09...Ticker is post removal centuryclubcardcopy.jpg Century Club Card image by sunfire_prinzes

shelly707
on 9/3/09 12:07 pm - Bozeman, MT
I am also new to reading for pleasure and would like to try this book club.  Please keep me posted.
Shelly
SuziJones
on 9/5/09 5:59 am, edited 9/5/09 5:59 am
Alright dears! For those interested I waited a couple of days and since there was only one suggestion put forth, and not much time to get that book in time, I decided to go with a popular writer:
Plain Truth by Jodi Picoult
these are the different covers the book has been published with.

The last book cover is the one I found in a second hand book shop.
I plan to start the reading on Monday, since it's a holiday get some GOOD reading time in!! hehe.

I'll be posting weekly and commenting on what I've read and look forward to reading what you are feeling and think about the book so far!! 

My Goals:
1) 200lbs ACCOMPLISHED
3) 170lbs
4) Run 5K

SuziJones
on 9/12/09 8:30 am
It's been a week and I've read to chapter 7. I must say it is VERY interesting!

I'm really curious about who the daddy of the baby is. I have my suspicions, but will keep them to myself.

I do have one mild annoyance and that is the lawyer staying in the home. As strict as she makes the father figure to be, I can NOT see him bending and allowing an Englischer to stay in his home. I mean he kicked out his son.

The book also has a bit of "Agnes of God" feel to it as well. Not sure if many now-a-days have seen that movie, but it's similar to this in that novice nun comes up pregnant and throws the baby in the trash and the French authorities (the convent is in France) call in a psychiatrist to investigate. This feels similar to me.

So....what did everyone else think so far?!?!?

My Goals:
1) 200lbs ACCOMPLISHED
3) 170lbs
4) Run 5K

SuziJones
on 10/11/09 9:37 am
Not sure if anyone else read this one. But I finished it by the third week of Sept. hehe

It was a fairly good book. I have to say I knew when she came up pregnant and they introduced her brother's friend that he was the father.

It was still a VERY interesting look into a culture that is not mainstream. VERY well written, even if some of the plot was a bit of a strecth (a judge saying that you are released into their custody and they have to live with you...not likely hehe). Still, all in all, very well done.
My Goals:
1) 200lbs ACCOMPLISHED
3) 170lbs
4) Run 5K

Most Active
Recent Topics
Any writers here?
Dagne Tripplehorn · 2 replies · 697 views
is aybody out there?????
susieequte · 0 replies · 557 views
jennifer weiner
susieequte · 3 replies · 1043 views
books
jen73076 · 2 replies · 812 views