I was weighed at my dr's office. I'm a 5'5" female. Now 326 lbs. (a few years after the...

Mary Catherine
on 1/19/14 10:01 pm

You already know that dieting does not work for you and you know that the sleeve did not work for you.  Vivian and Valerie both gave you good advise.

Please don't try to lose weight before getting more help.  Get an appointment with a DS surgeon today and start the process to put this entire nightmare behind you.  The sleeve was not the right choice for you, the DS hopefully will be. 

It is true that you can regain with any surgery, but you are going to be getting a much more powerful tool.  You will have malabsorption that lasts for life with the DS.  You can also eat more with a DS than with other surgeries.  You should lose very quickly after your surgery.

As the weight falls off you can become more active.  There are chair and bed workouts and they are very effective.  What you are going through right now is like being sentenced to a life in prison.  DS will be your parole.  I truly believe that you will lose quickly and be more encouraged with every pound lost.

hamptons11937
on 1/19/14 10:06 pm - East Hampton, NY

Okay. I will look into the DS. I believe my insurance covers it, but will have to call tomorrow to be sure (being today is a holiday). I'll read up more on the DS. Thanks for the encouragement. 

Kim                 
hope123
on 1/21/14 8:58 am - MO

No one should be pushed into surgery.  You may want to seek counseling again before doing anything.  Possibly see a personal trainer too.  Please don't think that surgery is the answer to your prayers, because you've already done it once.  Complications can take place, so I'd check out other avenues before considering surgery again.  Take care, and good luck!

Valerie G.
on 1/24/14 3:27 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

My recommendation is to talk to a surgeon who does the DS...for most of them also do the VSG and RNY, too.  They can give you a true account of the comparisons and differences in risks, etc.  Your original VSG surgeon also does the DS and learned from one of the best.  Look at dsfacts.com, go to the DS board here on OH, and on Facebook.  Believe me, they share the good and bad and more than anything, we share what we've learned about nutrition, for we are ahead in our knowledge than most medical professionals, sadly.  I'm not sure what that yappy pomeranian has against it, but it's worth a look, and you're halfway there already.  

You can get a sleeve after a RNY pouch...but I'm not so sure if you can a decent sleeve after a pouch was cut out of it, and there are plenty of RNY heartbreak stories that have been revised to DS...VSG, too.  Learn everything you can about EVERYTHING, and make your best educated decision based on what you've learned about yourself and weight history.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Mary Catherine
on 1/19/14 10:09 pm

I believe in jumping in with both feet and not always the best laid out plan.  Because getting started is the hardest part of any project and the longer time spent getting prepared the more things get put off.

I learn better ways to do things as I go.  I would rather be 80% perfect and half way toward my goal, than 100% prepared and 0% accomplished.

AnneGG
on 1/19/14 10:12 pm, edited 1/19/14 11:27 pm

Consider carefully before doing yet more damage to your one and only body.

As you have found out in the most painful of ways, the surgery doesn't do the trick long term.

If you don't learn to manage yourself, you will be right back in the same boat after another surgery with your body suffering from the effects of more surgery as well as the effects of your weight.

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

hamptons11937
on 1/19/14 10:28 pm - East Hampton, NY

I'm feeling confused as well as desperate, but want to make the best decision I can. I just can't believe I have to much weight to lose. It feels overwhelming. I feel discouraged, but this site has a lot of smart people with various experiences. I hope I can pull from their knowledge and strength and make the best decision. 

Kim                 
AnneGG
on 1/19/14 11:41 pm, edited 1/20/14 12:07 am

I hear you're desperate- that's an awful place to be.

Just be careful, and go for professional knowledge and expertise and recommendations. Consult more that one surgeon, including one who won't perform a particular type of surgery, and find out why not.

Professional research backed knowledge and opinion with a qualified Bariatric surgeon, several if necessary, is the primary place people should want to go in making a choice that impacts every aspect of a person's health, body, well-being, and life.

Personal experience is all well and good and often useful, but not sufficient, and can only be an opinion, including this one. We aren't experts here- we are only strangers on the internet, no matter how much a person thinks they know, and that includes me.   

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

hamptons11937
on 1/20/14 12:31 am - East Hampton, NY

I understand. Thank you. 

Kim                 
southbay311
on 1/19/14 10:34 pm - NV
RNY on 02/22/12

Hi there,

My starting weight was also 326 at 5'3 and felt so overwhelmed.  I have a small dog and couldnt walk here down the block, stairs were horrible and so winded. I made a point of using them little as possible.  If I needed something upstairs I would wait until I went up for the night.  It can be such a difficult chore to move, to stand etc. 

I wanted life back, to be able to move, breathe and stand.  I too have multiple autoimmune diseases, graves disease, ha****oxicosis, type II diabetic, neuropathy, raywards etc...and this was something that I had to do or face death in a few years.

It was something I considered for a long time and finally made the call in November 2011.  I had my consult on 11/16 and started a preop diet of protein shake meal replacement for 2 meals and then a light/healthy dinner on 11/21 the day I met my nutritionist..  I had an insurance requirement  required 3 month supervised diet plan and in those 3 month I lost 38 pounds...At surgery  2/22/12 I weighed in at 288 and had the RNY.  I am coming up on my 2 yr surgiversary and I've lost 182....This can be done, you have to dig deep within yourself and make the commitment to and for yourself.  This isn;t easy as you know but beating yourself up doesn't help either.  Find a great support system....I am willing to help you in any way.  I will be a phone support partner if you need it or want it.  I am now an advocate for my doc's office for new patients if they need to talk to someone .

Best to you

Nancy

H/W 326   S/W 287                                                                                     GW 145                                                      
Most Active