Can't eat!

NancyL3
on 1/10/12 7:58 am - Derry, NH
Hey everyone!! 

I'm 3 weeks out now and for some reason come 5 o'clock  or so I can't eat anything with out feeling totally sick.

I have been doing a 20 ox protein shake in the morning with one scoop, 1/2 cup greek yogurt and 1/4 cup unsweet applesauce and about 8-10 oz of milk. Its great!! Just really happy to be able to get protein in finally. Then for lunch I will have cottage cheese or a small amount of chicken or mashed potatoes, not much more then that. But when I go to eat dinner its like something is blocking my pouch almost. I get very burpy and full after 2 bits. 

I have been able to get some rocottia cheese in but that is about all. 

Is this normal? Should I be calling the doctor?

Its only the second day now but I am getting worried.

Nancy  

JAIMBRY
on 1/10/12 5:15 pm - LEBANON, ME

I would double check with your Dr about eating the meat this early out.  I had to wait until my 4th or 5th week to eat meats and then had to start out with ground meats (blender).  Meats are very dense and take longer to digest.  I still have occasional problems with steak.  Good luck

NancyL3
on 1/10/12 8:59 pm - Derry, NH
 I have to puree the chicken but its part of my phase 3.

Thank you.
Sookie77
on 1/10/12 8:06 pm - Milton, NH
Nancy,
   how far apart is your lunch and dinner?  Are you waiting your 30 minutes after drinking?  It may be just your pouch isn't ready for the chicken, remember the potato's are a slider food and will go down a lot easier than the chicken but you will need the chicken more.  In the early stages I would grind my chicken with a slice of apple no peel and light miracle whip.  It gives it some flavor and adds a little fiber.  Have you had a BM?  some times that will make you feel that way.  If it continues call the Dr, you may have to go back a stage DO NOT WORRY if you have to, just means your pouch is picky (mine was) I went back and forth several times.   Keep up the great work and stay patient. 

You may be only one person in the world, but to someone you are the world

NancyL3
on 1/10/12 9:03 pm - Derry, NH
 Sookie,

I was thinking all of that last night so I have decided to take it back a step and try something different for dinner tonight. As for my BM, they aren't the way they were 3 days ago. Hoping today changes things a little. We will see. 

So I am going to do my shake, the cottage cheese, and for dinner I might do just mashed potatoes.

What do they recommend you take if you are backed up (in BM) I can get milk of mag at work but I dont' want to be doing that at work? 

Nancy 

Denise R.
on 1/11/12 2:27 am - Manchester, NH
Hi Nancy,

I know OTC told me to use Benefiber because it doesn't swell up when you take it. If you take the Metamucil or Citracal it swells and thats bad for your pouch or for me my upper stomach pouch. I have wonderful luck with the Benefiber powder and you don't even know it's in your food I use the unflavored powder and I put it in my coffee or tea. Also, remember you won't have as many BM's because your note eating the same amounts as you were before surgery. Take care and it takes time to get this eating figured out and even 13-months later I am still figuring eating out. Good Luck.

Denise

NancyL3
on 1/11/12 8:56 am - Derry, NH
 Denise,

Thanks. I am going to get some tomorrow. 

I thought I was going to be doing better today, just hoping I guess, was able to get the shake in and only a few bites of cottage cheese. Came home and tried to have a snack and that didn't work. Waited an hour or so and tried again didn't work. I even had a hard time drinking water, it hurt really bad. I called the surgeon but fell asleep and missed the call. Tried to call back but she was gone. Gonna try tomorrow. OTC told me to call her first then call them if that is what they want me to do. I did finally about 20 minutes ago got some toast in, I know I'm not to ear bread right now (not to be gross) I dipped it in my tea to make it moist and I go a slice in. Its better then nothing but I tried pudding, yogurt, broth, jelly and even a popsicle and all of it made my stomach hurt. 

Starting to get really worried that I did something wrong and messed something up. But the only time there is pain is when I am trying to get something into my stomach other wise it doesn't bother me. I am drinking tea right now and that isn't bothering me but I am taking such small sips. 

Hoping this all gets better soon, I don't like not knowing what is going on with my body.

Thanks for the support everyone I need it.

Nancy 

Sookie77
on 1/11/12 7:47 pm - Milton, NH
Nancy,
  try not to fall into the slider food trap.  Toast, mashed potato's, crackers... they all go down easy but they have no nutrition in them ( no protein) it is hard not to when nothing else will go down.  CALL THE DR!  If it is still not going well today they should check just to make sure you are not blocked.   It may just be your pouch being fickle, but better to be safe than sorry.  I am sure you haven't screwed anything up!  Keep us up to date and know you are not the first to go through this.  Hugs
Laurie

You may be only one person in the world, but to someone you are the world

NancyL3
on 1/11/12 10:59 pm - Derry, NH
Laurie,

I called the doctor again this morning and the nurse practictioner wasn't there so the secretary told me to go back to phase 2 and phase 1. So that is what i will do hoping that what ever is causing the pain will find its way through. I should hear from the NP tomorrow morning. 

The toast last night was just so I could have something in me. I am really worried. I strted the gym again this week and the one day I did go I burned way more calories then I am putting in my body so I am putting that on hold until I get to the put where I am putting enough in my system that I don't make myself sick.

Thank you again for the support.

Nancy 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Canobie Lake Park
senyoshida · 0 replies · 471 views
Plastic surgeon ?
jmere · 0 replies · 808 views
Dartmouth.. dr truss
Debberz · 1 replies · 1565 views
CMC lifestyle chances class
morgansmom12 · 0 replies · 5034 views