3 1/2 years after surgery gaining weight please help

mymaluv
on 5/7/15 7:20 am

3 1/2 out and I am picking up weight fast. In the last 6 months I have gained 27 lbs. I am hungry all the time now not sure why can any advise. I want to try the 5 day pouch tests. Nothing fits any more and I refuse to buy bigger sizes. I am not drinking protein shakes any more. Don't know if that is why? Please help

Price S.
on 5/7/15 9:51 am - Mills River, NC

I am 3 1/2 yrs out too.  It is a constant struggle.  My low was 111 (too low) but I am in the mid 130s these days. 

Several things to note.  One is that it takes many fewer calories to keep from gaining now that we are smaller than it did when we were large.  1200 - 1500 and I can maintain and I am very active.  That isn't many.  Second is what kind of calories.  Simple carbs will pack it on me. Sugar, flour, pasta, fruit are really just sugar and although I do eat them in very limited cir****tances, I know they will make me gain.  I still need 100-130g of protein a day and it is almost impossible to get that without protein suppliments.  If you chose the right ones, you can get a lot of protein with very few carbs and calories.

join us on Miles and Menus.  Be accountable with what you are eating.  Up your protein and your exercise.  Start on your protein suppliments again.  You can do this and we can help.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

mymaluv
on 5/7/15 1:52 pm

I think I still need protein as well but my doctor told me to stop after a 6 months out. Everyone doing well still does protein.  What about the 5 day pouch test

Price S.
on 5/7/15 2:24 pm - Mills River, NC

I've personally never done the pouch test.  When I get off track (like this week at the conference), I come home and get right back on protein, protein and more protein with the only few carbs being greens for a few days.  That usually resets my system without the extreme of the pouch test.

Some Dr don't like the shakes but the folks who I have seen be successful use them and my Dr says whatever works, do it.  They are fine with my suppliments as they are.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

JB1114
on 5/8/15 11:21 am - Grain Valley, MO

I did the Pouch Test once and lost 5 lbs.  Some are against it but it worked for me.

~Jo~

RNY: July 8, 2008

Dr. John Price

Kansas City, MO

mymaluv
on 5/8/15 3:17 pm

I am going to try it out.

Navychic
on 5/7/15 9:59 am
RNY on 02/09/15

What Price said!  I just wanted to chime in and say from what im getting as a newbe, Stay away from Carbs,  cause Carbs you to crave more carbs.   Where as dense protein fills you up (ie chicken, pork & beef).  Good luck on regaining control!  and we will be here in spirit to cheer you on!

I'm Jo   HW 245, SW 236, CW 151 Yeah (Normal BMI!!!!)

M1=213 (-23), M2=201 (-12), M3=186 (-15), M4=175(-11), M5=166(-9), M6=157(-9), M7=153(-4) 

italianspice
on 5/8/15 4:06 am - Eastlake, OH

Hello mymaluv!

Hang in there, I know how you feel. I am almost 5 years post op and gained 32 pounds from my lowest. I have finally dropped 14 pounds so far. I was always hungry too, I realized I wasnt drinking enough and not eating enough dense protein to keep me full.

I did the 5 day pouch test. I got the book and the Day 6 and beyond. It really helped me out.

I know there is a lot of controversy out there regarding the plan, but it really helped me to get off the refined carbs and get back to basics.

Kaye Bailey writes about her own experience with regain and it really felt like she was telling my story, so I didnt feel so alone and like a complete failure with my wls.

I would suggest read her books, get prepared mentally and get your kitchen stocked. It is back to basics.

No liquids 30 minutes before or after a meal.

Lots of water, at least 64 oz a day

Protein first.

Exercise.

And dont forget your supplements!

Hang in there and let me know how you are doing. This regain is coming off but slowly, trying to keep motivated. 

~Maria

SW 230 Preop 205 GW 130 LW 131 CW 135 Ht 5'1"

mymaluv
on 5/8/15 5:10 am

Thanks so much for the encouragement I see that I am not alone which makes me feel better.

Ladytazz
on 5/14/15 12:25 am

The only value I can see in the pouch test is if it helps you detox off the carbs.  And you stay off them!  

I kind of did that when I had my revision, only it was by following the post op plan to the letter.  I was able to get off the carbs while I was still recovering.  I mean, I felt bad already, I could hardly tell the difference.

Once they were out of my system I stopped craving them and I haven't had them since.  By carbs for me I am talking about junk like candy and cake, sugar and white flour type stuff that I used to live on.

Get those out of your system by whatever means it takes and it should be much easier to stay on track.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 300 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 426 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 487 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 506 views