is it true?

nmcmanus66
on 3/4/13 5:46 am - CA

that lightweights lose slower than heavyweights? I would consider myself a lightweight 229 at time of surgery, 5'7" and had surgery on 1/21/13 and have lost 17lbs. And while I'm GRATEFUL for that weight loss I thought I'd lose more by now. I know there's no normal across the board but I was just curious about other people's progress.

southernlady5464
on 3/4/13 7:01 am

No, not true...just SEEMS slower as we have less to lose!

This should help:

It's not POUNDS, it's PERCENTAGES!

by Carolyn M.

Two people, both 6 months post-op. One has lost only 63 pounds and feels bad about her "slow" weight loss. The other has lost 96 pounds and thinks she's doing great.

They are both wrong.

Person A had only 105 excess pounds, so she has already lost 60% of her excess weight. She is actually ahead of the game at 6 months out and is on track to lose it ALL.

Person B had 265 excess pounds. At 6 months out she has only lost 36% of her excess weight. At this rate, she will end up retaining 28% of her excess weight, enough to keep her in the obese category.

See what I mean? Don't compare pounds to pounds, that's like apples and oranges.

Percent of excess weight lost: pounds lost divided by total excess pounds
Use a BMI of 25 as a goal weight

On track to lose it all is 25% lost after 2 months, 50% after 6 months, and 80% at one year.

Please note: These are averages. Your mileage may vary.

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

nmcmanus66
on 3/4/13 8:29 am - CA

this is the most awesome and helpful information. !! And I'm a math junkie so this all is analytical and works for me. thank you thank you thank you

ArmyWife29
on 3/4/13 10:48 am - GA

I was so glad to see you re-post over here!  The people on this board are so warm and welcoming!  I'm so glad you found the above post helpful :). Keep on trucking, you're doing a great job!

Ht 5'4HW 232  GW 138

nmcmanus66
on 3/4/13 11:27 pm - CA

thank you for the advice!! very very much appreciated--you're awesome

lerkhart
on 3/5/13 12:54 am

I know you got your answer, but I just wanted to welcome you to the LW Board.  Hope you will stay around here with us!!

Linda

14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 308 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 432 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 497 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 515 views