Gas Problems

Koko10
on 8/21/12 5:16 am - NC
OK, This may be TMI for some people but I am having a big problem with gas in my sleep. My hubby is ready to kick me out of the bed. Didn't I read somewhere that their is a pill that really works to help us with our problems with smelly gas? Anybody know where I can get some of those pills? LOL
Another topic, I finally tried water aerobics yesterday and I really enjoyed it. I felt the burn and I didn't get all hot and sweaty! I can't wait to go back again. I think I finally found something that I can do. I can't swim so I didn't think I would take to it but I did. Next I'm going to try Zumba!

Height 5'0 HW-247; SW- 238; GW-140  

southernlady5464
on 8/21/12 5:35 am
First off...before adding pills, do an elimination diet to find the culprit. Then add yogurt to your day to add the good bacteria your gut needs. To be honest, yogurt works far better than a probiotic which has to be broken down from pill form and doesn't ADD to your protein intake.

I eat plain greek yogurt flavored with either some honey, or splenda & a fruit, etc...I add my own flavors since flavored yogurt doesn't have as much protein as the plain...flavored chobani has 14 grams of protein, the plain has 23 grams.

Something you are eating or lack of good bacteria is causing your gas. When I go on antibiotics, I add extra yogurt and my gut is fine.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

Koko10
on 8/21/12 5:57 am - NC
Thank you so much for your response. I've tried adding yogurt. I HATE Greek yogurt! Even when I tried adding things to it, it's too thick. The other yogurt has too much sugar for me and I get headaches and feel dizzy. I was eating Carbmaster from Kroger but they closed our Kroger last year! Then I found Fiber One at Walmart and they stopped selling it after a couple months! It really stinks!!! I have SIBO so I take a probiotic daily (3-5 billion cfu's). I still need some help! I will keep trying for the yogurt though. Maybe if I eat half of one at a time it may work. 
Huneypie
on 8/21/12 6:04 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12
Some people find that probiotics can cause them gas, whereas others it resolves it for them.  As I'm not suffering with gas I have probiotics at the standby on my shelf and won't use them unless something changes.

Unfortunately this is all trial and error (I've had IBS for 10 years and after much experimenting know what foods cause me gas, which is probably why I've had such an easy time with my DS so far - I'm 4 weeks out today).

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

Koko10
on 8/21/12 8:05 am - NC
I have major constipation so my Dr said take the strongest probiotic and eat yogurt daily. It's part of the SIBO problem. I figure I will have gas, I just hate that it's waking him up out of his sleep because it's so awful! Sounds like I have some work to do to figure this out. Shouldn't be too hard though since I'm very limited in what I can eat. How long do you go without something before you eliminate it?
Huneypie
on 8/21/12 9:08 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12
You should gas free after a day, 2 tops.  Have you tried Miralax for constipation?

BTW Flagyl, an antibiotic, is another aid for SIBO but elimination should be your first option for gas.

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

MacMadame
on 8/21/12 11:42 am - Northern, CA
The plain yogurts can be okay. Anything with fruit added is going to have lots of sugar because the "fruit" is more like a jelly/jam than actual fruit.

I like the thickness of Greek yogurt so it's not a problem for me but I always buy the plain and add stuff to it so I can control the sugar content.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Jody ***
on 8/21/12 7:19 am - Brighton, MI
RNY on 10/21/08 with
 I also noticed the flavored Greek Yogurts have a lot of sugar, I tend to stay away from them.

Something you may want to think to do, is add a fruity flavored protein to your unflavored yogurt.  I add Syntrax Fuzzy Navel to mine and YUM!  It also mixes in very smoothly.  Get a big bang of protein that way - and it tastes great!

HW-218/SW-208/CW-126/ Lowest Weight-121/Goal-125 - hit 8/23/09/Height-5'3"

Regain 30 lbs from 2012 to 2016 - got back on track and lost it.  Took 8 months. 
90+/- pounds lost      
BMI - 24 or so
Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the Lightweights Board!

southernlady5464
on 8/21/12 8:00 am
Jody, the flavored greek yogurts are also WAY more expensive than the plain greek yogurt which is one reason I started getting the plain and adding my own flavors...I do add honey as it's the ONE "sugar" that does not cause me any blood sugar issues. Or I use splenda since it also does not cause me gastric distress.

I tried addding protein powder to them one time and it tasted nasty so rather than screw up the plain with that, I decided adding my own sweetner/sometimes fruit was easier...

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

Koko10
on 8/21/12 8:08 am - NC
Thanks and I've tried that before but I can't stand the consistency. The only way I can eat Greek yogurt is in a smoothie. It takes time to make those and I'm a mother. LOL I realize almost all yogurts have a lot of sugar. I need to stay around 10 grams or less at each sitting. I didn't realize that I should watch sugar alcohol. I will have to see how much sugar alcohol that I can tolerate. I appreciate your suggestion though.
Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 303 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 427 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 487 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 507 views