What do I feel

mymaluv
on 10/25/11 12:43 am
OK I am not sure what I feel. Sometimes I feel full sometimes I am hungry.  I can only get down one protein shake which is 23grams.     After that I try and my pouch hurts.  I have schedule but I think I should have one.  I try to eat a little something every 3 hours but that is too soon. If I wait 6 I am hungry and even then I can get down that much. Just a few sips or bites and I am stuff but I think I think I am still hungry after that.  I know I should measure what I eat but when I do I never eat as much as I measured.  I know i need to get 60g of protein but how in the world.  My liquids I am not getting in if I eat then I am to full to drink. I can take 4 or 5 sips 2 hours later but that's it.

Roz !!!!
on 10/25/11 12:46 am - Butler, PA
I'm sorry but I don't remember when you had your surgery.  Can you give me an update?

Roz

God is walking with me every step of the way. Because of HIM this is possible!!

RNY 10/15/2008 9+ Years!!!
Height: 4' 11" HW: 203 SW: 197 CW: 119
on Maintenance

mymaluv
on 10/25/11 1:12 am
I had my surgery on the 17 of Oct. Today is 7 days post op.  I am starting puree's now.  I don't have my vitamins yet they should be here soon but I ordered from Bariatric Advantage they are shipping me stuff very slow
Roz !!!!
on 10/25/11 1:50 am - Butler, PA
Do you take Prilosec, Nexium etc.?  Early out I had trouble getting things down and they started me back on my Prilosec and it helped a lot.  At 3 years out I still take it every day because if I miss a couple of days in a row, I get a hungry knawing feeling in my tummy.

The other major thing I had trouble with was drinking.  It actually hurt (not like a sore throat) but pain when I swallowed.  My Surgeon gave me permission to use a straw as long as I felt it wasn't giving me gas and that helped me tremendously.

It took me awhile to figure out that warm food was easier to get down than cold.  Now I prefer cold.

Right now the most important thing is getting your fluids in and try your best to get your protein in.  You can put Protein powder in all types of foods that are easy to get down.  I used to put it in my blender and puree it in my food.  I put it in SF pudding, jello, yogurt, SF hot chocolate, crystal lite, soups, etc.

It might sound gross but foods have the same flavor whether they are pureed or not.  I use to puree beef and chicken and it was yummy.  Then through in a little unflavored protein powder to boost your protein totals (you might need to add a little broth or water).

Roz

on Maintenance

mymaluv
on 10/25/11 3:02 am
I don't take anything now.  I will call him to see if this helps.  I tried mixing protein in apple sauce it was nasty. What are some good taste free protein powders
Roz !!!!
on 10/25/11 3:20 am - Butler, PA
I used the GNC Any Way. I never tried it in applesauce.  I don't think any of them are totally taste free.  Start with a little and work up to more. 

Try chocolate in SF chocolate pudding (it's good frozen too) or SF hot chocolate. If you have bought any of the nectares put them in something of similar flavor.  Syntrax Twisted Cherry in Cherry or strawberry Jello, crystal lite, or maybe vanilla pudding. 

Good Luck!

Roz

on Maintenance

italianspice
on 10/25/11 6:20 am, edited 10/25/11 6:21 am - Eastlake, OH
I know postop I could only do about 2 oz of my protein shake at a time then wait 30 minutes. Then focus on your liquids, take a sip every 10 minutes or so. I didnt have alot of sensation in my pouch in the early days, so measuring was key for me.
Your tastes change postop, What I might like, you might think yuck!
My best advice is to order samples, vitalady has a lot to choose from. Syntrax nectars has a sampler. My favorite is about time and you can order trial packs there too.
Also look up the word according to eggface, she has a lot of shake recipes to help you get your protein in. Also in the search bar on the top right hand of the page, look for shake recipes, you get alot to chose from.
And remember, it will get easier as time goes on. Hang in there and welcome to the loser's bench Mymaluv!

ps Try different temps of liquids. I still do better with warm liquids then really cold. Some do better with room temp or ice cold. I know decaf tea and broth was the only way I could get my liquids in at first. Could not handle plain water.

~Maria

SW 230 Preop 205 GW 130 LW 131 CW 135 Ht 5'1"

Price S.
on 10/25/11 7:40 am - Mills River, NC
Oh dear, things will get better.  Part of why you don't know what you are feeling is that the nerves were cut and you really can't feel much for a good while.  That is one of the best reasons to measure your intake.  It's ok to eat less if you feel full, but it will keep you from overeatting if you aren't feeling full.  We did 6-8 "meals", 1/4c each. 

Another reason for feeling weird is that hormones are stored in your fat and as you lose weight, your hormones get a little crazy. 

Early out, liquids are the most important because you don't want to get dehydrated.  We were to do one ounce every 15 minutes.  That would be a good goal and you can even set a timer to help you.  I did best with warm and still don't do cold great all the time.  Your protein drinks count as part of your liquid. 

It takes time while your new pouch is healing to be able to get everything in but it will happen.  Welcome to the loser's bench.  We are here for you when you need us.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Eliza55
on 10/25/11 8:40 am - PA
You're still very early out.  At your stage, I could not get in all the protein - I just kept working on it.  At first, I could only get down 1/2 of a protein shake, and that would take an hour or so to get down.  When I moved to pureed, I could only eat a tablespoon of food, and then I'd be too full for a protein shake. 

Even at 2.5 months, I can't eat more than 1/4 cup of food. So I drink a protein shake in the morning, and keep drinking fluids then have some solid food for lunch and dinner.
Eliza
Consult:239   SW:217  1mo:195  2mo:182  3mo:169   6mo:139  9mo GOAL CW: +2 from underweight

aspan
on 10/25/11 11:07 am
I was on a liquid diet for about 3-4 weeks after surgery...at first I could only take about a teaspoon in every couple of minutes and I just sat in a chair and ate teaspoon after teaspoon until I was able to get one protein drink down..then I would work on some just regular water and that is all I did for about two weeks straight..the good news is, it gets a lot better. I say concentrate on protein and liquids right now..the easiest way to kill two birds with one stone is to be drinking protein shakes.
HW: 260? SW: 242 Surgeons GW: 150 First GW: 140 Second GW: 130 CW: 122      
Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 300 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 427 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 487 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 506 views