Supplements

mymaluv
on 10/10/11 10:46 pm

The doctor recommend Bariatiric Advantage Supplements they are so expensivelol.   I order a sample packet. I also ordered some products from Syntrax Nectar things like soup and some shakes, pudding, drinks etc.  They had a few ones that were coffee flavored but I was not sure if they were caffeine free. I wanted some hot coco but I read some where RNYs should not have chocolate lol. Everything I order was a sample packet.  Does it really take 20min to eat a meal.  I have been practicing but I cant make it 20mins I am taking small bits and chewing 20 times but some stuff I can only chew 15 times and it already down.  How long does it take anyone to eat a meal.  The biggest problem I am having  is not drinking while eating or waiting 30 mins after. So I think after I get done eating I am going to have to go for walk for 20 to 30min so I will not drink. What are some of the ways that I can deal with .

AnneGG
on 10/11/11 1:20 am, edited 10/11/11 1:24 am
I take CVS Senior Spectravite multivitamins that I buy on sale 2 for 1. I also get many of my vitamins on sale at CVS or online at Vitamin Shoppe. My most expensive supplement is my heme iron, which I take because it is non-constipating and supposedly absorbs better. I do take the Bariatric Advantage Calcium chews because I like them, but recently got them 4 bags for the price of 3.

I've never heard of RNYers not being able to have chocolate flavored stuff- the only protein powder I can tolerate is BSN Lean Dessert chocolate. Be careful about not ordering too much protein powder pre-op, because tastes change post-op.

Re: eating slowly and not drinking after meals, it takes awhile and some conscious effort to change old habits. I still have a tendency to eat too fast, though I am better about chewing a lot. 20 minutes is way too long for me to eat such a small amount as I eat now. Not drinking with meals was hard for me to change, but now it's second nature. I used to set a timer.

Just keep practicing- you will get the hang of things!

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

Price S.
on 10/11/11 3:09 am - Mills River, NC
I use CVS chewables also and their calcuim citrate with D.  I get my Vit D, A, and folic acid  from vitalady.  I like the Bariatic advantage chews for during the day doses of calcuim.

We weren't suppose to have chocolate flavored drinks for the first 2 weeks but since then, I have something chocolate every day, no problem.  I have hot chocolate protein frequently in the winter.

I got baby spoons and ate with those.  My Nut said a bite was the size of a pencil erraser so that can slow you down.  I have never drank with my meals so that part was easy for me.

the coffee flavored and lemon tea from nectar are both caffiene free.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Lynn5707
on 10/11/11 10:08 pm - IN
Hi,

I am 3 months out and still have a problem sometimes eating too fast. I did not have RNY, but the sleeve. At the beginning it did take me about an hour and a half to drink a CIB (while I was still in hospital - ha!). Anyway, now I can only eat, volume-wise, about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of anything - especially if it is something like chicken or beef. I really don'****ch how long it takes me to eat now, but if I feel I'm eating something too fast, then I start counting my "chews".

I do use the timer on my iPhone before and after meals to make sure I don't drink around mealtime.

The vitamins I use are either from Bariatric Advantage (for my Vit D., B12 & calcium) or Centrum. I am going to check out Vitalady's vitamins after I have my labs in December as I've heard so many wonderful things about her.

Good luck!

Lynn

mymaluv
on 10/12/11 2:30 am
Thank you all for your help
Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 300 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 426 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness