Weight gain and can't lose it!

ktharp89
on 5/12/14 10:50 am - Gaithersburg, MD

I am 3 years out. I had RNY Gastric Bypass. After my surgery I lost 120 lbs and over the last year I've gained back 40. I've tried so hard the past couple of months to lose weight and I am having a really hard time. I eat lean meats and veggies and LOTS of protein. I go to the gym a couple times a week and go hiking at least once a week. I am eating really healthy and I cut out alcohol. I just feel hungry ALL the time. I can basically eat anything (except lots of sweets or fat). I regret not truly changing my habits during the year after my surgery. I would love some tips. I wish I didn't feel hungry all the time. I eat about 1500 - 1700 calories a day. I am feeling VERY discouraged. I would love tips and suggestions or just some support from people who have experienced this. 

Height - 5'8  - SW - 292/ CW - 177.6 /GW - 150 - BMI - 27.1 - 114.4 lbs lost!
"The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore" Vincent Van Gogh
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

LizzyM
on 5/12/14 1:52 pm

Hello, I am Mari. I had a Vosges in 2009, lost 136 lbs and have gained almost 30 back, I am so discouraged, it's not really hunger, but head hunger and boredom as I am on disability leave from work. What on earth do we do to get our  heads back on straight? I totally understand!

Liz

7 lbs. lost preop included in total
gratefulgurl72
on 5/12/14 9:41 pm

I am in the same boat!  I lost 140 and have gained back 20, I am almost 4 years out.  I started watching what I eat, lots of protein and exercise about 3 weeks ago and lost 10, but after a week, I have gained back 7!  I was doing so well and thought maybe I was heading in the right direction and now I am so unmotivated!  I'm sorry to be a downer and not give you any good advice, I just wanted you to know you are not alone and was hoping maybe I could get some advice too.  I have tried to shoot for 120 grams of protein a day, maybe I need more?  I know I need to drink more water, and I have not had a piece of bread or crackers in over a month!!  In the beginning I told myself this would never be me and here I am.  I want to nip this in the bud before it turns into 30...40...50.

jastypes
on 5/13/14 3:42 am - Croydon, PA

I think everyone needs to realize that some "bounce back" weight is to be expected.  This is the reality:  Recent reports suggest that patients may lose up to 60% of their excess body weight (not total body weight) in the first six months after surgery. Twelve months after surgery, that number jumps to 77%. At the five-year mark, patients maintain an average of 50% of their excess weight loss.

For me, at some point I came to accept that I will weigh what I am supposed to weigh, when I eat what I am supposed to eat.  My nutritional needs are met at about 1400 calories, and that's an average -- some days are more, and some days are less.  I started this journey at 320 pounds, and now hover around 180-185.  I did have a 45 pound re-gain when drinking alcohol and eating really poorly, but it came off once I put down the bad habits.  If you see things you can "tweak" in your diet -- giving up certain foods, eating 6 small meals, drinking more water, etc, -- and you are willing to make those changes, go for it!  If you are comfortable with the way you eat, I'd work more on the head issues and learn to love yourself exactly as you are.

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

AlysMawm
on 5/13/14 8:11 am

Jill! I love this answer! Thank you.

maboots
on 5/14/14 4:39 am

Well said Jill ... well said!

Jaquie67
on 5/14/14 1:38 pm
RNY on 10/29/12

I want to thank you for your post I really needed to hear that. I am a year and 7 months post surgery and I have had several issues happening since surgery and because of it I went from 309 to 242 pounds. I recently gained 5 pounds and having digestive problems that cause me to not eat properly so I felt really depressed about the weight gain.

megawatt823
on 6/11/14 12:28 pm - Denver, CO

I had RNY 1/11/2010, lost 150 pounds, regained 46.  DUE to the same things!! Booze, eating the WRONG THINGS. 

I have cleaned it up and am have lost 30 pounds.

Day of surgery I was 320, got down to 177 (for a week!) then stabilized at 180 - 185.  Now, I am working on getting back there (UNDER 200 lbs again! YAY!)  and I may go lower.  

Thank you!! :)

Megan

Pre-Op 320/CW 184/GOAL WEIGHT 160

Sandra T. RN
on 5/15/14 7:41 am - TX

I'm almost 9 years out. Started regaining at about year 4. Gradually regained 40. Stayed there for 3 years no matter what I ate. Last holidays jumped up 8 pounds to 208. In January cut back on carbs and at end of March started using myfitnesspal. Have relost 16 pounds. 

1200 calories, 80+ carbs, < 30 carbs. I don't count fat and probably eat more then most. It's working for me. Protein first then non/low carb veggies. 

Im doing better tracking then I ever have before. I write down everything!!

i want to lose another 20 to keep me around 175. A much more live able weight for me to maintain. 

Good luck. 

Sandra  High 250, low 160, current 190 down from 208 January 2014

lisa2job
on 5/19/14 9:50 am - WA
VSG on 09/06/12

Hi,  I am almost 2 years out and lost initially 119 lbs pretty quickly,  after that initial weight loss it stopped.  Recently I noticed that my pants felt tighter I jumped on the scale and sure enough  I gained 17 lbs back.  I dedicated myself today to getting back to basics and loosing 40 lbs !!   weird i dont feel hungry but i do get that funky head hunger and i eat to eat espically when I am bored .... So i am right there with you... I am getting back to basics and tracking everything i eat 

Most Active
Recent Topics