Been a year since here...help! lapband

jenstime
on 5/16/11 12:23 am - OR
Hello everyone!
I am not sure how many people stil lcome to the Graduates, but I've had the lapband now since 12-09 and I am in need of encouragement, advice...etc.
Originally I started out at 298, I lost down to 267 on my 6 mos. diet prior to the band, and then within the first year I went down to 240 and up until Nov. of last year made it to 208! Which I was "comfortable" with. Not that, that is where I wanted to end up, but it was WAY better than 298. I've really struggled with my band, I've had many unfills and fills and even had my Original Surgeon move away (he was so inspriring, the one I have now, almost just does it because...my original surgeon understood obesity, had family history of it) Anyway, in Nov. I had to have some of my fluid removed because I was so stressed in life I couldn't really eat much...Doc's choice, not mine. I was going through Divorce, my Father recently diagnosed with Familial Spastic Paraplegia (originally thought it was ALS, still may be) was in School full time and I have four fab. kids who needed their mom, on top of all that, struggling with financial because I hadn't worked in 6 yrs! Anyway, some of these issues are better, but during the course of the last 7 mos. I've gained back to 235 and am severly struggling!! I wake up hungry, I feel hunger most of the day, I can't afford to go back and get my fill (lost Ins. in Divorce) I've been trying to have a protien shake in the a.m. thinking that would help...so here is a day to give you an idea...
7 a.m. Coffee 8 oz(sugar free creamer) (some mornings I'll drink up to 3 cups
within an hour a 12 oz. sugar free protien drink ****as. I'll use berries, but usually just the powder and milk)
I will force myself to drink water until noon, but by noon I feel like I can devour everything...
lunch will- yesterday I had some mixed vegies (not cooked) a cube of cheese, about a half a cup of whole wh. flatbread crackers and a slice of turkey.
(one thing I am fighting is def. getting in enough water...)
Then I'll feel hungry again within 2 hours and eat something like a cheese and meat roll up or tuna etc.
Dinner is usually around 6-7p.m and I make dinner for my whole family, usually a protien (meat) a veggy and a carb side. I can eat bread (couldn't before the bit of fluid was out) I can eat just about anything I want...which I don't nec. like.
Now here is my honesty...when stressed to the max I began eating chocolate, it became like a drug and I have been working on giving that up and most days are great but here and there I end up heading to the store (don't keep it in the house though) Also, with everything I am doing I went from exercising 4 days a wk. to maybe 2 days a wk. and for not as long...so these are some things I KNOW I need improvement on...
I honestly feel like it's hopeless, that I just should give up trying. I have no Ins. coverage now, if I did, I would most certainly be looking at a revision...anyway, some advice would be great here! Thank you all so much! I hope your journey's are going way better than mine at this point!
Jen M.
jenstime
on 5/16/11 12:49 am - OR
Sorry ^ I was banded 12-08 not 09. Thanks again!
dwpersel
on 5/17/11 12:59 am - Fredericksburg, VA
Hello Jen,

I think you're aware of what you need to do, but all in good time. You've gone through quite a few life altering and stressful events. Since you aren't able to afford fills, you should be able to possibly fill up on more volumetric foods, veggies, high fiber foods to help you feel more full. Since you aren't at your "sweet spot" that should help as well as your realization that you need to cut back on the chocolate as well as increase your exercise.

I know you'll be able to get a handle on this after all you've gone through recently. Also, my lab results are normal and I haven't had a protein drink in well over a year. My WLS said I can get all of my nutrition from foods since I'm 4 years out. I found that the protein drinks did nothing to satisfy my hunger.

Hope this helps!

Diana

shelly77320
on 5/17/11 4:43 am - Conroe, TX
It sounds like you need a fill not a revision. What we advise our patients is in between fills to do your  meals a day and a low carb snack in between the meals. like a protein shake. Hope this helps you.
Stephanie M.
on 5/19/11 2:21 am
Hi Jen!  I am sorry you have been through so much, but I agree with Shelly...if you had insurance, wouldn't you want to do as much as possible with the tool you have rather than undergoing a revision? 
When I was on my pre-op "liquid" diet, I was allowed 3 bariatric advantage shakes and one meal a day of 3-6 oz lean protein + all the "free" veggies I wanted (veggies for snacks too) and lost 13 lbs in 14 days...perhaps a very low carb, low fat regime for a few weeks would be good to get you going again...with it being warmer weather, you can grill up some chicken, fish, etc with some veggies and have a wonderful dinner..and lunch with the leftovers the next day.
Don't skip breakfast...1/2 cup eggbeaters with 1 tbs hormel bacon bits + 1/2 oz grated cheese makes a great 100 calorie breakfast with 16 grams protein...
Adkins Advantage bars are 17-20 gr of protein for a 200 calorie bar...great afternoon pick me up and will keep you satisfied until dinner.
Don't give up...you lost 90 lbs with your band and you are still down over 60 lbs from your highest...at some point you may be able to afford fills again and can really get down to "business".
Steph

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

Most Active
Recent Topics