iron

Anita Jo
on 4/12/11 3:32 am - Elmira, NY
 hi all,
i havent been posting my foods but i am eating smaller meals.
well today the dr called and my blood work is back and my iron level is at 12. now what?

anita
Kim S.
on 4/12/11 7:16 am - Helena, AL
What did the doctor suggest?  Do you take iron every day?

Kim

Anita Jo
on 4/12/11 9:06 am - Elmira, NY
 i see the dr the 19th. i dont take iron .
severman
on 4/12/11 12:57 pm - Indianapolis, IN
 I've been struggling with low iron levels too.  They will probably try you on an iron supplement first.  Give us an update when you go to the doctor. Wishing you the best of luck!

Stephanie E
Kim S.
on 4/13/11 10:16 am - Helena, AL
I've been taking one chewable iron (Bariatric Advantage) everyday since surgery and so far so good!

Kim

Rose A.
on 4/13/11 9:51 pm - west mifflin, PA
I had no Idea the problems that low Iron levels could cause. I started to get horrible migraine headaches, and strange neurological symptoms, all over extremely low Iron levels. I am VERY mindful now to take the proper kind of Iron and happy to say the migraines are GONE along with the rest of the neuro symptoms. My DH and I started to fear that I had a brain tumor. I guess after so many yrs out I thought I was invincible!
Kynziekate
on 4/14/11 12:51 am - St. Louis, MO
I am 6 years post RNY.  I had continuing problems with iron and was referred to a hematologist.  My level (at it's lowest) was a >4.  I was put on i.v. iron and had 3 treatments back in the fall (2010).  The first treatment went fine, except for later that evening I experienced a lot of pain and was extrememly warm -- flu like symptoms -- for a couple of hours.  After that -- no problems.  With the first round of i.v. iron, my iron "stores" came back up to normal.  However, the iron in my blood was still low.  I went through a second round of treament in January and received the results a few weeks ago.  I had NO ADVERSE SIDE EFFECTS from the 2nd round of treament at all.

Had my bloodwork done again and my rusults came back all normal.  No more ice crunching.  No more Werther's hard candy craving.  And the mysterious red lines on my legs have disappeared. 

The hemotologist said to keep an eye out of my symptoms, and they will treat me accordingly. 
Most Active
Recent Topics