To re-sleeve or DS

nedsmehlp
on 6/12/16 3:07 pm - Hutchinson, KS

I had a VSG 8 years ago.  I lost 182 lbs, but have regained 110 lbs.  I am considering either a re-sleeve or revision to DS or RNY.  Has anyone else been re-sleeved?  My Dr. won't re-sleeve.  I'm nervous about a revision to DS or RNY.  Any suggestions?

happyteacher
on 6/12/16 3:47 pm

I have to assume given the regain much of our old bad habits have crept back in. Although I have not experienced significant regain, I have some- and I totally understand how easy it is to fall back into those old patterns. My concern is that another surgery may or may not help to correct those patterns. If it were me I would approach it in the following manner, but not saying this is a good fit for you. Maybe just something to think about a bit. I worry about revisions due to just going through a 2nd hiatel hernia repair post vsg, and the high risk associated with it. My digestive system is still paying the price too. 

1. I would immediately resume going back to the support meetings, start exercising, and trying to claw my way back to the weight loss phase. The support group was incredibly helpful for me to keep myself on plan or motivate me to get back on plan. 
  2. I would consult with a doctor to see what he/she would recommend. The sleeve is the first phase to a DS, but I do know revising to Rny is also done. Seems like you would need to determine which (if any) is the best fit for your medical situation. 
  3. Consider finding a therapist who specilizes in eating disorders. 
  4. Clean up my diet immediately- no more processed, refined foods, white carbs, protein forward- the same diet that I used to lose the weight. Something worked crazy good for you to lose 82 pounds. Try doing that again. 

There are some posters who come back after significant regain and make some very positive progress on taking it off. One poster I am thinking of would suggest to you Overeater's Anonymous, as it greatly helped her. I have never been, but would for sure try that prior to another surgery.

I do wish you well. Obesity is a ***** for sure. Be gentle with yourself, and take good care of yourself-

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Kelly L.
on 6/12/16 3:58 pm

You have already got the first part of the DS with your sleeve.   You need to also try to get to the root of the problem on your re-gain.   Any WLS is just a tool for us to use but we still have to stick to our plan.   You might want to post this on the RNY and DS forums.   Good luck to you!

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 6/12/16 5:00 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

I'd definitely look into why you regained b4 going under the knife again. Both the rny & DS are malabsorption procedures which requires a strict adherence to the vitamin routine otherwise you can get some serious complications. If bad habits have creeped in now get a handle on that first b4 you go for the revision.

If you still need a revision, I'd go the DS route, you already have the sleeve, seems like a less complicated way to go & they have pretty good stats too.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

-Flo-
on 6/12/16 5:29 pm
DS on 04/11/16

The DS has the best long term success of any WLS. I had the VSG and revised to the DS. You have to be committed to vitamin regime or some seriously bad stuff can happen. I'm about 2 months out and I'm already upset that I hadn't heard about the DS earlier. Come over to the DS boards. 

Laura in Texas
on 6/12/16 6:48 pm

You have been posting about your regain for 4 years now. Figure out why you have been sabotaging yourself and work on that. The mental part is the hardest.

As far as surgery goes, the DS would be your best bet, but no surgery is magic.

Good luck.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Donna L.
on 6/12/16 7:42 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Weight gain is almost always either psychological or a return of old habits.  As eating becomes more comfortable we eat more.

Rather than a resleeve, I'd simply get the DS.  The DS won't work either though if you have maladaptive eating habits and are eating a crapton of carbs.  The carbs are still fully absorbed.  However, it's still got the best results over any other procedure.  Having said that, if you don't fix why you're gaining, even the DS will fail despite its powerful nature.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

acbbrown
on 6/13/16 11:27 am - Granada Hills, CA

I'm on the avoid surgery (but particularly revisions) at all costs train. The dangers and possible complications in my mind aren't worth it WHEN the issue isn't mechanical. 

Coming from someone who experienced a 90lb regain, my weight gain was all me. 100%. I chose to stop following the rules and chose to eat crap. There's no surgery in the world that will or could have helped me. 

Sure ive stretched my stomach out. But I've also lost almost 60 lbs with my stretched out stomach. So not all good from my sleeve was lost. 

I went the Overeaters anonymous route to get a handle on my food/weight. It worked for me. If you want to chat about it, feel free to send me a PM

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

nedsmehlp
on 6/13/16 8:01 pm - Hutchinson, KS

Thanks for all your suggestions.  You have given me a lot to think about.  I will also look into Overeaters Anonymous.  When you said I have been talking about my regain for 4 years, it really shocked me!  I never thought that I had let 4 years go by doing nothing to help myself!  Maybe that's the slap in the face that I needed!  Thanks Again

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 48 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 48 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 207 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 291 views