Two Years Out! (long post) What I've Learned!

butterfly3851
on 3/9/15 1:56 am - TX

I posted a long post a year ago that still is true today - so I'm reposting!  I'm two years out and couldn't be happier with my decision.  But I will say - this is still not an easy fix - no magic pill - old habits can come back - never can I say I have this battle won. So for those of you in the research phase - please realize that this is a "lifestyle" change.  Yup - I know - we don't like to hear that.  I still need to journal my food, get my water in, exercise, etc.  I weigh every day - I still need to lose 10 - 15 pounds to still get to my goal.  What's new for me was that i had a hysterectomy & tummy tuck (I'm 56) this year - yeah for the tummy tuck!  So excited to get rid of that skin.  I'm still needing some counseling to get used to this "new" me and to help with some of the old habits that want to come back.  Yup - my brain is still here and I still have emotional eating issues that I have to fight every day.

This time two years ago I was nervous, scared, excited, worried, depressed, sleepless, etc. as I was researching VSG, meeting doctors, doing pre-op testing, and making the decision to have surgery. Needless to say, I was a basket case in wondering if I was making the biggest mistake of my life to have 85% of my stomach removed. One minute I was excited - the next minute I was beating myself up for letting myself get into this bad obese shape in the first place. After much thought, prayer, and discussion with health officials and my husband, my surgery was scheduled for the end of February. If I was being honest with you, I never ever thought deep down I could be successful in any program more than the usual 20-30 pounds I could ever lose before I gave up with whatever diet I was doing. I really thought I needed to just make peace with the fact that I was an overweight woman. If there were not major health issues for both myself and my husband (also scheduled for surgery a month after mine), I don't think I would have made the decision to have VSG. I was hopeful that this surgery would work - but really not sure. The more research I did, the more hopeful I got.

1. BEST DECISION EVER MADE! I was a completely different person a year later and now 85 lbs down two years out but working on it!  But wish I had listened to everybody when they said to STAY STRICTLY ON THE PROTEIN PLAN THE FIRST YEAR - weight loss is much easier then than now.  

2. My health would be immediately impacted! Even doing the pre-op diet, my blood pressure medication was decreased & eventually stopped. I have heart disease. My internist is thrilled - at two years out - my blood work looks better than it has in the past 10 years - he says "You have saved your life!".

3. I was so worried about what to tell people this time two years ago. What I've learned - the people who I thought would be supportive were and the people I was worried out telling - their response wasn't always great (Only had one person really be negative). So listen to your gut. I did not tell my mother (who wasn't in great health****il after the surgery was over - good decision as I did not want her input or her to worry. As I talked to her every day - the day of the surgery I did tell a few white lies - that I was busy all day. I did talk to her that night after the surgery but cut the call quickly as I told her I had a migraine. Her reaction when I did tell her was wonderful - she was glad I was doing something about my health and was very proud.

4. Telling people was hard - I'm talking about this again as this was a big deal to me. Some people I really don't want to know - but I've found out - people talk - they are amazed that I'm losing weight and have to tell others about it. Even though I really don't want people that aren't close to me to know about my surgery - the word spreads. Oh well.  If I find myself talking with somebody I don't know that has weight issues - I will tell them about my journey.

5. The food funeral and mourning never being able to eat food again. The food funeral is a waste of time as you will be able to eat almost anything you want again - different people have problems with some foods - but as you get farther out - you can eat almost anything. Now that being said, even though I can eat pizza - it's not a good choice for me - not going to happen very often. My food funeral was a steak dinner at our favorite restaurant with appetizer, salad, steak, potato, dessert, bread and wine. I've since been back with the family and now my meal there is a shared salad with dressing on the side, a filet mignon, asparagus and a bite of someones potato - and a to go box. No big loss there. Even though I can go to a Mexican restaurant and I have - not a good choice cause it's still hard to stay out of the chips.

6. Holidays. I was so worried about not enjoying the holiday food again. Again choices to make - I cooked the usual Thanksgiving dinner. I chose to eat mostly the turkey and a bite of each of my favorite dishes. Splenda pumpkin pie for dessert. Not a big deal. I made the choice and my family supported me not to have all the sweets around during Thanksgiving and Christmas because those are trigger foods for me.

7. Stalls. Just get used to them. Happen all the time and weight seems to come off in a stair step fashion - down a couple of pounds - stay there a while and then down 1/2, rinse repeat. I don't lose 5 lbs every week now that I'm farther out. I'm thrilled with a 2 lb loss. I'm trying really hard to remember that this is a process and will take a while.

8. I'm the one person that this surgery won't work on. My biggest fear two years ago.  

9. Diet Drinks. I was really worried about giving up the diet drinks as I've been horribly addicted since college days drinking a diet Dr. Pepper every morning for breakfast. I loved my Diet 7-up, Diet Dr. Pepper and Diet Ginger-Ale. The funeral should be for the carbonated drinks as I've truly given them up - different people debate on the message boards about diet sodas and but I've decided not to even go back there at all at this time. Probably the one thing I really miss but just not going back at this time.

10. Planning. Biggest part of success. Before I go out to eat, I have a game plan in my head or have already looked at the menu online to decide. Food at home always that are on plan - canned tuna, frozen ****tail shrimp, greek yogurt, etc. A protein bar & crystal light packets for water are always with me in my purse.

11. Journaling. Must record every bite of food with My Fitness Pal. HUGE!  And no, I'm not friends with anyone on My Fitness Pal. Don't like sharing.

12. Travelling. Yes - you can travel again - but going back up to number 10 - make a plan - go to a grocery store wherever you are and get food for your refrigerator in the room. Take food with you. I haven't stayed in someones house yet - that would be a different obstacle.

13. Exercise. Two years ago I never thought I'd be working out with a trainer 3 times a week or biking with my husband on the weekends 7-8 miles. Never ever thought it would happen. Oh yeah - I still don't like to exercise - probably never will. But I love how I feel and want this journey to work. Working with the trainer makes me get to the gym. No excuses - makes me accountable.

14. Diet Advice. Be prepared for everyone to give you advise on how they lose weight and what plan they follow. They will be excited for you but automatically think you are following their plan of vegetarian, the 80-20 plan - eat good 80% of the time, etc. Go ahead - have a bite -it's on my plan. Just stay your course.

15. Head work. Most important and probably what I didn't realize was so important two yeasr ago. Yes, your stomach will be 85% gone but the brain stays the same. Got to figure out why I overeat and why I emotionally eat. Yes - the urges to eat at night are still there. UGH - just give me a pill to solve it - not gonna happen.

16. IBS - major problem through my life and a major concern. I think it's actually gotten better as my diet was improved - more water, less sugar and junk food. But I never realized that the bathroom issue has been one of the biggest struggles for me. Constipation major problem and a constant battle.

17. Comparing myself to others. Two years ago and I didn't really know how hard this was going to be for me as I read the message boards and see how fast others are losing. My battle - my course - my weight to lose - my new history. I'm imperfect and will make mistakes along the way - but just stay the course and the weight will come off however slowly. 

18.  Although shopping is fun - it's not easy going into regular stores now cause I don't know what will fit or look good.  I know - that sounds weird.  I have to take all the jeans in the dressing room to find one pair that fits!  Don't know new sizes yet - anywhere from an 8 to a 12 petite jean.  Oh yes - I bought a pair of "0" boyfriend jeans at Chico's - just cause they were a "0" - I don't even like them!  My arms and boobs are still big so tops are still a large or extra-large.  But heaven to buy regular clothes!

19.  I'm being better about going to the dentist, getting a mammogram, dermatologist & other health stuff - didn't realize how my weight was affecting my health by my being embarrassed about going to any doctor or dentist.  Who knew?

Good luck to everyone on this journey!  

thallnc
on 3/9/15 2:22 am - NC
VSG on 02/18/15

Thank you so much for this post. I just had surgery almost 3 weeks ago and this also gives me even more motivation. You have done a GREAT job!!! Keep up the good work.

Height: 5'5" HW: 278.2; SW: 268.2; CW: 175.6

momsy55
on 3/9/15 2:23 am - ME

Wonderful post Butterfly!  I'm in my 4th year, and so much of what you wrote is my journey as well.  The head stuff is, by far, the most important now, as working on quieting the food demons is what keeps me on course.  If I let their voices get too loud, it is disastrous.  Congratulations on two years!    Mary

HW (recorded) 323  Start of Journey 298.9  SW 263.6  CW 177.8  GW 180 

Farmersdaughter2
on 3/9/15 2:33 am
VSG on 12/15/14

Thank you so much for sharing your story.  Your wisdom and experiences help those of us that are just beginning our new lifestyle journey.  Congrats! on your success!!!

VSG Surgery 12/15/14      HW 247,  SW 212, CW 163

sistah3
on 3/9/15 2:39 am

What a fantastic post! I love your realism and honesty. Thank you so much for sharing your insights. And congrats on all your continued hard work!

MissNexxie
on 3/9/15 3:16 am
VSG on 04/30/14

This is a fantastic post and really resonates with me.

Especially, realizing how individual this journey is and you cannot compare yourself to others. It is so true. All your points are so true.

Congratulations on your continued success/journey.

Surgery: April 30, 2014: HW: 288 SW: 250 Achieved Goal 149 lbs: April 8, 2015 CW: 158 lbs (working on losing 65 lb regain as of June 1, 2021. Weight was at 215 lbs). Fighting every darn day!

robinreinhardt
on 3/9/15 4:00 am

Butterfly,

Thank you for your post. I really learned a lot from you. I just had surgery 12/15/14. I'm excited because I have lost 32 pounds. It's still difficult like you said because you have the emotional eating to deal with. Sounds like you have been so successful. I felt just like you in that I never really believed I could be successful at loosing all my weight. I had 100 pounds to loose. Keep up the good work and thank you again.

Robin

Tracy D.
on 3/9/15 6:19 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

What a wonderful post!  Thank you so much for taking the time to update it us on your progress and all the wonderful lessons you've learned.  Happy for you!  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Starlene02
on 3/9/15 7:54 am
VSG on 11/11/15

I have been terrified. I'm still waiting on my insurance to approve so I can set up my surgery. This post is a comfort knowing that probably most feel the way I'm feeling now. I think my biggest issues are going to be dealing with those around me. I'm a relatively shy person and I've always been uncomfortable talking about my weight and as far as the surgery goes it's embarrassing. Thinking of having to talk to anyone about it makes me sick to my stomach. I'm sure I'll get over it and become more comfortable as time goes on but as it stands now I think I'll keep it to myself, at least until I know if I'll be successful. My kids, my husband and my mother know and that's enough for me for now. Thanks for sharing your experience.

If you feel like quitting, think of why you started.

butterfly3851
on 3/9/15 8:10 am - TX

Hang in there Starlene - hope your approval comes soon.  There's no need for anyone but immediate family & friends to know about your surgery - you can choose who you share with.  It's your journey!  

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 87 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 300 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 347 views