It's been six years

MacMadame
on 9/27/14 9:14 am - Northern, CA

I was sitting here thinking.. hey, my six year anniversary is coming up. I should start thinking about a blog post. Should I do another cottage cheese test? Take measurements? What day does it fall on again? And then I realized it was three days ago. I never used to believe people when they said "my surgiversary was X days ago and I totally forgot!" But now I do.

So where am I? Not on OH every day any more, that's for sure... I haven't blogged since July. (Though part of that is my job -- I'm working for a startup right now.) I don't weigh myself every day or even once a week any more. I don't need to because I know pretty much what I weigh and how I'm doing just by looking in the mirror and how my clothes fit.

In many ways I don't think of myself as a bariatric patient any more. Or a fat person. In other ways, that will always be part of my identity.

For me, I got what I wanted out of the surgery. I got a normal life as a normal weighted person.

I don't really obsess over food any more. Sometimes I eat better than others. When we have deadlines at work, I tend to live on ice cream. When life is less stressful, I eat a lot better and people think I never lets junk food touch my lips. But for the most part, I don't count calories, I don't log my food any more and haven't for about two years. I just eat when I'm hungry and don't when I'm not. And, pretty much no matter what I eat, my weight stays the same.

I have turned into an active, outdoors person. Even a bit of a morning person -- sort of. I swim, I bike, I run. I lift weights. I do triathlons. I get antsy if I can't workout.

My weight is much more tied to my activity level than my eating. When I lift weights and run a lot, I get lean. During the off season, I get soft. I have a 10 pound range that I move around in based on how injured I am and how much I can work out. The lowest my weight got to was 112-113 (and 17% body fat) about 10 months out from surgery. I felt a bit scrawny but also obsessed with being and staying that small. I pretty much immediately bounced back to 119 though and never got back down there again. I was still 18% body fat and I looked better, so I can't really complain.

The highest my weight got post-op was 129 after I had a bad biking accident and couldn't workout for 1.5 years and had a head injury. (That was a bad time in many ways.) But mostly I tend to live in the 120-125 range. Yesterday I was 122. I don't know what my body fat % is because I'm too cheap to get another test. LOL That works out to a BMI of 23 and a size 2 (yes, I'm short).

I have a lot of loose skin and sometimes it plays with my mind. I think about getting PS but I haven't got the money and if I did have the money I'd rather buy a tricked out TT bike and pay for my kids to go to college. Or go on a once-in-a-life-time vacation. Or remodel the back half of hour house. But if someone has a spare $20,000 laying around, my number is ....  

Sometimes I think of the skin as my badge of honor. Other times it makes me feel like an alien wearing a human skin suit.

On the health side, I did get off my blood pressure med. I got on a bladder med because it turns out I have an overactive bladder, not stress incontinence. I still do have issues with my blood pressure sometimes being high but it seems to be a "only in the doctor's office" thing and it's usually low. I still watch my salt and water intake just in case though. I also take meds for my post-concussion syndrome but hope to be off them by year's end. I thought I had allergies but it turned out to be undiagnosed GERD which went away when I lost weight and had my hiatal hernia repaired during VSG surgery.

I take my supplements faithfully still and I have wonderful labs except for my protein levels which are always low no matter how much protein I ingest. Well, there were normal on one lab set once when I was consuming 150g of protein. But I can't keep that up -- I tend to do about 100 - 125 g a day on average and have protein levels at 6.1-6.3 (normal is 6.4). My bariatric surgeon and my PCP say I have no other symptoms of a protein deficiency and they are starting to think maybe this is just my new normal. I'd still like my labs to be higher.

Before I had surgery, I thought I was a person who didn't let my weight get in my way. Since I had my surgery, I realized I was wrong about that. My life has changed so much. I have a much higher quality of life now. My weight was impacting my life every day in every way and I was just used to it.

Some highlights: I've lost a (bad) job because people there couldn't deal with the new me, got a couple of new ones including the awesome one I have now, did two Ironmans, crashed my bike and had Post-Concussion Syndrome for over three years, was in a community theater version of The Wizard of Oz (I sang and danced on stage!), and next season I'm going to start on my two year plan to qualify for the Boston Marathon and continue with the 2nd year of my five year plan to qualify for the Ironman World Championships.

I feel like I've become the person I was meant to be and that person I was for so many years -- the morbidly obese person -- took place in an alternate universe where I was me but not really me. 

I was sitting here thinking.. hey, my six year anniversary is coming up. I should start thinking about a blog post. Should I do another cottage cheese test? Take measurements? What day does it fall on again? And then I realized it was three days ago. I never used to believe people when they said "my surgiversary was X days ago and I totally forgot!" But now I do.

So where am I? Not on OH every day any more, that's for sure... I haven't blogged since July. (Though part of that is my job -- I'm working for a startup right now.) I don't weigh myself every day or even once a week any more. I don't need to because I know pretty much what I weigh and how I'm doing just by looking in the mirror and how my clothes fit.

In many ways I don't think of myself as a bariatric patient any more. Or a fat person. In other ways, that will always be part of my identity.

For me, I got what I wanted out of the surgery. I got a normal life as a normal weighted person. 

I don't really obsess over food any more. Sometimes I eat better than others. When we have deadlines at work, I tend to live on ice cream. When life is less stressful, I eat a lot better and people think I never lets junk food touch my lips. But for the most part, I don't count calories, I don't log my food any more and haven't for about two years. I just eat when I'm hungry and don't when I'm not. And, pretty much no matter what I eat, my weight stays the same.

I have turned into an active, outdoors person. Even a bit of a morning person -- sort of. I swim, I bike, I run. I lift weights. I do triathlons. I get antsy if I can't workout.

My weight is much more tied to my activity level than my eating. When I lift weights and run a lot, I get lean. During the off season, I get soft. I have a 10 pound range that I move around in based on how injured I am and how much I can work out. The lowest my weight got to was 112-113 (and 17% body fat) about 10 months out from surgery. I felt a bit scrawny but also obsessed with being and staying that small. I pretty much immediately bounced back to 119 though and never got back down there again. I was still 18% body fat and I looked better, so I can't really complain.

The highest my weight got post-op was 129 after I had a bad biking accident and couldn't workout for 1.5 years and had a head injury. (That was a bad time in many ways.) But mostly I tend to live in the 120-125 range. Yesterday I was 122. I don't know what my body fat % is because I'm too cheap to get another test. LOL That works out to a BMI of 23 and a size 2 (yes, I'm short).

I have a lot of loose skin and sometimes it plays with my mind. I think about getting PS but I haven't got the money and if I did have the money I'd rather buy a tricked out TT bike and pay for my kids to go to college. Or go on a once-in-a-life-time vacation. Or remodel the back half of hour house. But if someone has a spare $20,000 laying around, my number is ....  

Sometimes I think of the skin as my badge of honor. Other times it makes me feel like an alien wearing a human skin suit.

On the health side, I did get off my blood pressure med. I got on a bladder med because it turns out I have an overactive bladder, not stress incontinence. I still do have issues with my blood pressure sometimes being high but it seems to be a "only in the doctor's office" thing and it's usually low. I still watch my salt and water intake just in case though. I also take meds for my post-concussion syndrome but hope to be off them by year's end. I thought I had allergies but it turned out to be undiagnosed GERD which went away when I lost weight and had my hiatal hernia repaired during VSG surgery. 

I take my supplements faithfully still and I have wonderful labs except for my protein levels which are always low no matter how much protein I ingest. Well, there were normal on one lab set once when I was consuming 150g of protein. But I can't keep that up -- I tend to do about 100 - 125 g a day on average and have protein levels at 6.1-6.3 (normal is 6.4). My bariatric surgeon and my PCP say I have no other symptoms of a protein deficiency and they are starting to think maybe this is just my new normal. I'd still like my labs to be higher.

Before I had surgery, I thought I was a person who didn't let my weight get in my way. Since I had my surgery, I realized I was wrong about that. My life has changed so much. I have a much higher quality of life now. My weight was impacting my life every day in every way and I was just used to it.

Some highlights: I've lost a (bad) job because people there couldn't deal with the new me, got a couple of new ones including the awesome one I have now, did two Ironmans, crashed my bike and had Post-Concussion Syndrome for over three years, was in a community theater version of The Wizard of Oz (I sang and danced on stage!), and next season I'm going to start on my two year plan to qualify for the Boston Marathon and continue with the 2nd year of my five year plan to qualify for the Ironman World Championships.

I feel like I've become the person I was meant to be and that person I was for so many years -- the morbidly obese person -- was an side trip in an alternate universe where I was me but not really me.

So that's my story. Which I tell so that  you know: (a) people who are more than 1-2 years out actually exist and (b) so you can see that your life right now with it's obsession with weight and numbers on the scale (hopefully) won't be your life forever.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Elizabeth C.
on 9/27/14 9:30 am - Mansfield, TX

Thank you for your post!! Such wonderful inspiration!!! 🙌😄 you look great!!!

5'-5" ~ Lap Band 03/2008 Converted to Sleeve 11/6/2014 HW 296 Start Pre Op Diet for Sleeve 226 SW 217 -9 M1: 202 -15 M2: 196 -6 M3: 186 -10 M4: 180 -6 M5: 176 -4 M6: 171 -5 M7: 167 -4 M8: 165 -2 M9: 161 -4 M10: 158 -3 M11: 158 -0

acbbrown
on 9/27/14 9:37 am - Granada Hills, CA

So glad to have an update from you. And to hear you are able to resume exercise - I know the bike accident took a big till on you. You've been an inspiration though as I struggle with my own physical issues keeping me from being active right now. Congrats!

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

slimpickins5280
on 9/27/14 10:11 am - CO

Heya Mac, thanks for the update.

I'm glad that you've found a job you love. It's amazing how much that changes our lives. 

Good luck on the Boston Marathon. You runny folks are crazy. 

VSG 10/18/11      If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.-Dolly Parton

frisco
on 9/27/14 10:23 am

Hey Mac.... Congrats on 6 !!!!

You were the person that I kept coming back to and reading about when I was in WLS research mode.......

Your a huge part of the reason I picked our surgeon......

When I went to my very first support group in San Jose and met you, Elina and Jimbo..... I thought, if these people come to these things.... I'm coming !

Thank you for being the inspiration and classmate to something that means so much to me.

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

BurberryPlaid
on 9/27/14 10:33 am - MA
VSG on 09/29/14

Amazing!

This post couldn't have come at a better time for me. I am being sleeved Monday...was doing great but started getting anxious tonight. Reading this has helped calm me a little and gives me hope that I will follow in your foot steps and become the person I was meant to be.

Wishing you continued success and happiness.

Kelly Jean
on 9/27/14 10:36 am
VSG on 04/08/14

Wow thank you so much !!! What an inspiration you are!!! 6 years wow!!!! You gave me faith in my future!!! :-) congratulations on your amazing  success!!!! :-)

♡ Kelly

weeziebeth
on 9/27/14 10:40 am

Thank you SO much for sharing-what an encouraging story. I am glad you have been able to come back from what sounds like an awful injury.

TeressaJ
on 9/27/14 10:53 am

This is such an encouraging post! I am 12 1/2 weeks post op and I'm right in the middle of measuring, monitoring, and tracking everything I eat right now and have begun to feel lately that all I ever have time to think about is food! It's good to know that someday food won't be my one and only thought. Thank you!

Beatriz
on 9/27/14 11:49 am

Thanks so much for your post! It is so great hear from someone so far out. I am still 3 months pre-op (my insurance has a long program of classes and waiting) and one of my fears is that over the years, the weight might creep back.  Thank you for giving me hope!

Height: 5'4".    VSG 2/23/15

HW: 257--SW: 237--CW: 207  

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 132 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 391 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 422 views