Surviving Long Weekend in New York City

J B
on 8/17/14 12:37 pm

I just reached a month post-surgery a few days ago, and I left for a 4 day stay in New York City this past Friday. Although things have generally gone pretty well, there have definitely been some challenges. I've found that Chinese food seems to be the easiest food that I can order out and control what exactly I eat (i.e., it's easy to pick out the protein, ignore the rice, just have a few vegetables...) I did see an old friend who treated me to a small scoop of excellent quality Italian ice cream, but I was surprised at how strangely sweet it was.  I've been so long without any sugar that it was almost cloyingly sweet, and I really didn't enjoy it.  I knew that I might have one or two social moments when I'd partake in a small food item or two with friends (i.e., the ice cream), but again, I think it's just not something I really want to have now.

I've kept myself as hydrated as possible, and tried to keep my coffee consumption to a minimum (although it's a challenge, because it's just so easy to fuel up on iced coffee in the summer.)  I've found that I can often go for many hours between lunch and dinner with no food at all, and this is probably not good, as I've sometimes felt a bit weak by the time I GET to dinner.

Ordering dinner IS tricky - For every single meal I've had, about 2/3 of it got wrapped up and taken home with me, some of which I was able to use for another meal, but some of which ended up in the trash, which seems like a terrible waste, but no room in the stomach.  I do think it's going to take some learning to judge how exactly to order food, and how to explain that I can't really finish my food in such a way that still says "Yes, the food is great - I just can't eat much of it!"

Another lesson learned is that next time I will have to stop once in a while, sit down, and have a yogurt. It's too easy to just go without food for hours and hours on end.  Also, hydration is key.  Fortunately it wasn't too hot this weekend, but I've been here in heat waves and it can be brutal.

I'm glad I've survived my first post-surgery trip away from home without feeling that my diet went completely out the window.  Some compromises were made, but nothing too dramatic - in short, we can do this :-)

Gastric Sleeve on 14 July 2014.  Highest weight: 311, Pre-surgery weight 300, Current weight 210.

SunnyGal14
on 8/17/14 12:46 pm
VSG on 08/06/14

Glad you were able to navigate around your new way of eating.  I will start purée foods Wed and am really curious how that will go along with a month out from now. Thanks for posting!

Vsg on 8/6/14  5'8" HW 266 SW 243 CW 169 GW 155. 

Sammy D.
on 8/17/14 12:57 pm - New Bern, NC
VSG on 11/06/14

Sounds like you are having a good time. One thing that may help is to ask the server if they have a bariatric menu, or something with smaller portions.

HW: 478+ Consult: 478 Pre Op: 453 SW: 438 CW: 293 (7-20-15) GW: 225 LBS Gone: 185

VSG with Dr. T. Ryan Heider at the Center for Surgical Weight Loss at Lake Norman 11-6-14

ACTS 2:38

J B
on 8/17/14 8:40 pm

smoothas, very good point, I'd not thought about that before.  I will ask about this!

Gastric Sleeve on 14 July 2014.  Highest weight: 311, Pre-surgery weight 300, Current weight 210.

skeller
on 8/17/14 11:12 pm - Austin, TX
VSG on 05/01/14 with

I will often ask for something on the kid's menu. For example, once I ordered a kids hamburger with some cauliflower mash, and was delighted when the hamburger turned out to be a little 3oz thing--perfect for me, and no take home!

DOB 1958, HT 5'4" . . . HW 310, SW 281, CW 184.3

M1 -25, M2 -7, M3 -11.9, M4 -7.6, M5 -11.8, M6 -9.6, M7 -1.7, M8 -10, M9 -5, M10 -5

jenorama
on 8/17/14 1:15 pm - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

Sounds like you did well on your adventure. I adore walking around and just looking at everything. I used to be a member of the clean plate club, but I've resigned myself to being a food waster when I'm out of the house for meals. I try and order things that will be good a second time, but I've never been a leftover lover. At restaurants I'll take a look at the kids menu, but it's usually chicken fingers or some sort of pasta. 

Leaving food on the plate is tough, but I just had to get used to it. :D

Jen

J B
on 8/17/14 8:44 pm

Jen, It's definitely a new thing for me (heh heh...) When I had breakfast with a friend in Brooklyn the other morning, I ordered the Mexican eggs, and all I ate was an egg and some of the beans (none of the tortilla or rice) and it really was delicious!  But yeah, part of me hated to see the food go into the bin.  I think this just comes from my mom over the years and teaching me never to waste food.  But, I know now that realistically this is about my health and I have to be serious about it.

jenorama
on 8/18/14 2:58 am - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

I was out with some friends a couple of months ago and I was really hungry and I joked, "I'm so excited for my three bites of food!" I find I am getting better at ordering an appropriate amount. For a while there I would order a cup of chili and think "will that be enough?" And when the small cup of chili came, I wouldn't even fini**** It's kind of funny to realize that my eyes are literally bigger than my stomach!

I find I'm no longer so tempted by the bread on the table because I know that if I have a piece, I won't have any room for my dinner. Chips at Mexican though are still a problem! At breakfast I will usually do eggs and bacon and leave the hash browns, so good on you with the eggs and beans. 

Food wasters unite! :P

Jen

AllisonKara
on 8/18/14 3:27 am

Sounds like you had great fun in New York.It is always good to watch what you are eating and especially after the surgery. It is really not very difficult to keep tab on what you eat through the day and if you are doing that then you will always be able to control your urges.Be careful so that you are fit and healthy always.

Tracy D.
on 8/18/14 3:58 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Good job, JB!  Travel is always a challenge and you did well 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 88 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 303 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 349 views