Any of you get type 2 diabetes?

NatalieKelley
on 7/1/14 2:43 am

I have had some concerns. I get yearly physicals and blood work done. I've gained about 10lbs since my last physical but I worry that type 2 diabetes might develop. I also suffer from anxiety so I don't know if its me stressing or what! I have noticed that my blood sugar drops very easily. I can eat something and it will help and sometimes I feel shaky but im not actually shaking. I have no other symptoms but wondered what you experienced and if WLS helped reverse it?

skeller
on 7/1/14 2:55 am - Austin, TX
VSG on 05/01/14 with

This is probably something you need to discuss with your doctor rather than a bunch of strangers on a WLS board :) That said, yes, WLS has been know in many cases to mitigate Type 2 diabetes.

DOB 1958, HT 5'4" . . . HW 310, SW 281, CW 184.3

M1 -25, M2 -7, M3 -11.9, M4 -7.6, M5 -11.8, M6 -9.6, M7 -1.7, M8 -10, M9 -5, M10 -5

NatalieKelley
on 7/1/14 3:01 am

I have an appointment tomorrow. I just didnt know if this was a symptom.

Mrs_Desire _
on 7/1/14 3:09 am - Houston, TX
VSG on 11/18/13

The SLEEVE placed my type 2 diabetes in remission. I was instantly taken off 1500mg of Metformin. I actually have to be careful that I do not get blood sugar "drops" now. I can feel them happening also. I get instantly sleepy.

Myfitnesspal: MsDesire​  - Revision from Realize Band Patient

Height: 5'10" HW: 305  SW: 298 Surg Goal: 195 Endo Goal: 165 

themexcellentone
on 7/1/14 3:16 am
VSG on 07/08/13 with

I was a type 2 diabetic for nearly 10 years before I had my sleeve.  I went off my metformin a month post-op, and was declared in remission 3 months post-op.  That said, I still eat like I am diabetic--very little to no sugar, etc.  

VSG by Nick Nicholson in 2013. Revised to DS 2/23/2023 by Chad Carlton.

mickeymantle
on 7/1/14 3:17 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

the sleeve does help diabetes , but longer you have it the less chance of it going away

if you are having problems with high or low blood sugar the best thing you can do is see a endocrinologist  mine was thrilled about me getting my sleeve and a few months after told me I did not need to see him anymore my pcp can keep watch on my sugar levels

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

MsBatt
on 7/1/14 3:29 am

I haven't come across any studies on the Sleeve and diabetes that included any long-term data. Certainly, weight loss alone tends to improve the control of diabetes, no matter how you lose it.

The two forms of WLS that cause malabsorption do have some long-term data re diabetes resolution. About 85% of diabetics who get the RNY/gastric bypass achieve total remission, at least for the first 5 years or so. (A significant pr centage seem to see a return of symptoms at about five years, whether they're regained weight or not.) The DS/duodenal switch has a resolution rate of better than 98%, and 26 years after the 'invention' of the DS, data indicates that this is a permanent cure. (Yes, I did say cure.)

One big reason I chose the complete DS (rather than just a Sleeved stomach) was the fact that diabetes runs in both sides of my family. If I was going to have major surgery, I wanted the one with the best chance of keeping me from ever becoming diabetic. It also very successfully treated my high cholesterol and GERD.

grayC
on 7/1/14 4:02 am
VSG on 05/01/13

Actually I was a raging type 2 for 17 yrs before VSG

on metformin, glipazide,victoza and levamir and was declared

in remission by my Endo at 3 months but didn't need to take any meds 

since the day before surgery, so I don't believe it's true that the longer you have type 2 

the less remission will happen for you...

civilmomma
on 7/1/14 4:50 am
VSG on 03/07/14
On July 1, 2014 at 11:02 AM Pacific Time, grayC wrote:

Actually I was a raging type 2 for 17 yrs before VSG

on metformin, glipazide,victoza and levamir and was declared

in remission by my Endo at 3 months but didn't need to take any meds 

since the day before surgery, so I don't believe it's true that the longer you have type 2 

the less remission will happen for you...

Bravo! 

My husband is a raging Type2 right now...metformin, glipa-something, victoza (just changed to that from Januvia), and slow acting insulin too.  He is going to do RNY - and I hope he is able to get in control like you did.  This is getting scary - his A1C was at 10 before the insulin was added and is still in the 8-9s now. 

ticker5'-8",HW 347,SW329,M1-25 M2-17 M3-11 M4-13 M5-14 pregnant-->

NatalieKelley
on 7/1/14 4:15 am

Thank you everyone! Your replies have alleviated my worries of possibly having it and not being able to work past it. I am going to ask more questions at my doc appt tomorrow!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 86 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 298 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 346 views