I'm scared

NatalieKelley
on 5/14/14 11:57 pm

I have had several consultations but I'm finally in a position where I can afford surgery and I have good insurance. Before, I had insurance troubles and I was fighting my FEAR along with my weight!!! I am terrified of surgery. I am more terrified of the way my body feels because I am overweight. My biggest fear is insurance denying my surgery. Last night I was ready to cancel my appointment! I need some encouraging words. Thank you!

pharmagirl_45
on 5/15/14 12:02 am - NJ
VSG on 01/14/14 with

It is normal to be scared.  I was also scared that my insurance co. wouldn't approve me.  I went through it with them a couple of times but everything worked out.  I'm 4 months post op and doing great.

Think about the big picture and how you will feel after you have surgery and start to lose the weight.

Good luck!

VSG on 1/14/14 with Dr. Samuel Wasser

NatalieKelley
on 5/15/14 12:05 am

Thank you. I think that is what keeps me focused. Knowing that how I feel right now is not how I want to feel. I hate that I'm too tired to do things with my kids :(

Nancybefree
on 5/15/14 12:19 am
VSG on 11/21/12

My dear, I was terrified of surgery -- my first-ever major surgery despite my being 54yo at the time. 

I was even more terrified of my weight climbing above 357 pounds (which was bad enough!!) and eventually becoming bedridden and becoming a curse and a burden to my husband, children and grandchildren, who rather deserve the best "me" possible.  I don't know if you have let yourself to go the extent that I did; I really hope not.

I wish I could convey to you the absolute joy that I experience every day now since I had the surgery, followed my postop rules (VERY IMPORTANT), and lost the excess weight.  "Night and day" is a relatively weak way of describing the difference between my preop life and my maintenance life.  I want you to experience the same joy and more! 

Hoping that all goes well with your preop certs and that you have the same opportunity to have the life you have dreamed of having if you do what you have to do.  :)

5'8"    HRW 357 on 7/09/12    SW 339   >196 8/26/13 (surgeon's goal)   TWL  193     CW   164 

*:•-:¦:-•:*1st pers. goal 178 on 10/16/13; ultimate goal 164 on 12/13/13*:•-:¦:-•:* 

NatalieKelley
on 5/15/14 12:35 am

That does make me feel better. I know that surgery is going to change how I eat, how I take care of myself, etc. I WANT THAT. I have tried Nutrisystem, Weigh****chers, good ol' fashion "Eat less, move around more", the weight always comes back. I am sad about how I look and feel. I want to feel good again!

Nancybefree
on 5/15/14 12:39 am
VSG on 11/21/12

This needs a "like" button.  :)

5'8"    HRW 357 on 7/09/12    SW 339   >196 8/26/13 (surgeon's goal)   TWL  193     CW   164 

*:•-:¦:-•:*1st pers. goal 178 on 10/16/13; ultimate goal 164 on 12/13/13*:•-:¦:-•:* 

NatalieKelley
on 5/15/14 12:45 am

I agree! :)

Tenacious88
on 5/15/14 12:59 am - Fort Lauderdale, FL
VSG on 02/05/14

Good Morning. If you don’t attend your meeting you will never know what the insurance company or your doctor has to say about your case. Believe me we are all scared about going into surgery, but the results are all worth it. I’m 15 weeks post-op VSG, feel great and I’ve loss 65 pounds. I will tell you the first few weeks are not easy, but each day gets better. It took me two years to get my surgery, because of timing and other medical issues. First place yourself in God’s hands, and then find a good surgeon who has done many VSG surgeries and you’ll do just find. I’m a man of prayer and I have just added you to my prayer list. Pray to see you on the Losers Bench. 88 Lou

"We as Losers need to have Bull Dog Tenacity to win the war against obesity"                  

NatalieKelley
on 5/15/14 1:47 am

Thank you for your prayers!!!!

Gwen M.
on 5/15/14 1:29 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I think it's totally normal to be scared.  But try to keep your eye on the prize and focus on all the wonderful things that this surgery will add to your life.  

For me, I'm 10 weeks post-op as of today.  I've lost a total of 56 pounds since I changed my diet in January.  I have never felt better.  The change from a year ago, when surgery wasn't even a thought in my mind, is amazing. I have so much more energy!  I wake up feeling rested, I sleep better, I walk at the gym for three hours a week and I've added pilates, tai chi, and yoga classes to my life.  I feel happier and more confident.  I like hanging out with people more.  I like myself more since I know that I'm finally doing really great things for my health and my longevity.  I'm looking forward to my 20th high school reunion next year instead of feeling angsty like I did before my 15th.  All of these things blow me away.  I am so very happy that I made the choice for surgery.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 87 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 298 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 346 views