Cigna Insurance and WLS

NatalieKelley
on 5/12/14 1:22 pm

Hello Everyone, I'm Natalie. I used to be a member of OH.com but I fell of the face of the earth for a while with some family issues etc. I am now in a much happier place and ready to focus on me and my health. I have my first appointment with the doctor on the 28th. My biggest fear is my insurance rejecting me because I am right at the cusp of not needing a co-morbidity to go forward. I was wondering if anyone had experienced the WLS procedure using Cigna insurance. I wanted some input! Thank you.

lowbrass03
on 5/12/14 6:52 pm - houston, TX
VSG on 05/17/12

Hello, 

Cigna covered 90% (i think more) of the cost of my surgery. Now I think you will hear from all responding to your post that it really depends on the specifics of your insurance plan. A simple call to cigna will clarify all of this, they will tell you if it is covered under your plan and what requirements they have for approval. 

My experience was pretty awesome, but it had to do with the fact that the hospital that I work for has a clause with cigna that weight loss surgeries are approved only if it is performed within the hospital system I work for and with an approved surgeon (only one surgeon approved). For me and my coworkers is has been surprisingly easy getting approval, which is a true blessing. 

So the experience is pretty much different  with everyone, even if it is covered some people have a harder time than others when it comes to approval. 

So call Cigna and find out for yourself so you can get ready and on your way into the losers bench! 

good luck!

Mary Gee
on 5/13/14 12:27 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

Deactivated??  

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

pharmagirl_45
on 5/13/14 12:30 am - NJ
VSG on 01/14/14 with

I also have Cigna and I was denied the first time because I didn't have a recommendation letter from my PCP.  After I got that, it was approved immediately.  Just make sure that you do everything they ask of you and on time.

Good luck!

VSG on 1/14/14 with Dr. Samuel Wasser

Mike_1964
on 5/16/14 3:48 am

I too have Cigna and was approved.  My surgeon's office was able to say in confidence they could get me approved.  However one of the more important items they needed was a justifcation letter from my Primary Care Doctor.  So as long as you have been seeing your primary on a fairly rugular basis and they weigh you on every visit, they should be able to provide the justification. 

PS - I could never get a straigt answer from Cigna other than your plan covers it as long as you meet the requirments.  But try to get the requirements and details out of them.  It never happened for me. 

Mike                                                                             VSG on 02/24/14

NatalieKelley
on 5/16/14 5:07 am

Thank you I appreciate it. My primary care doctor is a part of the practice that the bariatric surgeons wife practices at too and I go regularly for check ups etc and always get weighed and talk about my diets etc so that is good information to have!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 85 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 298 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 346 views