One Year Anniversary!

butterfly3851
on 2/26/14 6:37 am, edited 2/26/14 6:42 am - TX

Yesterday I was one year out from my VSG surgery!  72 lbs down - 25 or so to go!  My surgery was a non-event - no problems.  I cannot tell you how happy I am that I had the surgery and how my health has improved!

2013 was a really stressful year for me - dealt with serious health issues with my mother when I was 12 hours away - lots of traveling - then her death.  So as I'm dealing with grief recovery & at the time dealing with stress - I'm learning how to turn to other things besides food  - the emotional eating.  It's the toughest part of this journey of weight loss - we have a smaller stomach but the same head and how we deal with life.  

I've really been putting myself first this last 6 months - making exercise a huge priority.  Because I do not like to exercise and make any excuse not to go (Too windy, too rainy, too sunny, etc.) - I'm working with a trainer 3-4 times a week.  I'm also taking an E-course by Brene' Brown & Oprah on living a Wholehearted Life - really awesome! Working on that head!

To be honest, I am disappointed I'm not at goal at a year out but I'm learning to be forgiving of myself and be thankful for the 70 lbs I have lost!  I'm still losing and staying on track but the weight loss is really slow now. I feel like I've fought for every pound I've lost - I lose in a stair step manner.  I will never say I have this battle won because I know how easy it would be to slip back into bad habits.  This is a new lifestyle for me and my husband (who also had surgery a month after I did).  Making zucchini noodles for dinner tonight - I'm having fun learning new healthy recipes!  

Good luck to all of you starting on this journey!  

FindingMyWeigh
on 2/26/14 8:42 am
VSG on 10/30/13

Happy Surgiversary!!  72 lbs is a huge amount of weight to lose. I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. I can't even imagine how difficult that's been for you.

Great news about re-dedicating yourself to exercising and finding a healthier way to dealing with difficult emotions instead of eating.  That is super awesome.

You're almost there. .keep swimming!!

sleevemama
on 2/26/14 11:42 am
VSG on 04/30/13

Congratulations on your weightloss! I'm sorry about the loss of your mother that is very difficult to have to deal with. Wishing you and your husband the best on this weightloss journey.

HW:266 SW:229 GW:140 CW:140  Maintenance 11/6/13

butterfly3851
on 2/26/14 2:17 pm - TX

Thank you!  You both have kicked but with your weight loss!  

We all have stuff to get through- it's just a part of life and most of us dealing with weight problems have to learn how to handle our "stuff" without burying our emotions with food!  

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 87 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 300 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 347 views