UGH - Super Bowl Party

butterfly3851
on 2/4/14 12:03 am - TX

True confession here - Well - my husband and I broke down and had decided to have a few people over for the Super Bowl - thought we'd be strong enough to not give in to temptation and have foods there we (Both of us have had VSG) could eat.  We haven't been very social these past 10 years (it was just easier staying home as two obese people) and a few people had commented that we hadn't had them over in a long time and we had quit being invited to their parties because we had turned down so many invitations in the past.  

What I found out - yes my sleeve is restrictive but it did let me graze on chips and dips.  OF COURSE I COULD HAVE GRAZED ON THE VEGGIE PLATTER.  I also made brownies in a mini cupcake pan - I stayed strong during the party and didn't eat one (of course everybody keeps an eye on you eating so heaven forbid you eat a brownie in front of anybody) but as I was cleaning up - Wow - my old self popped up and started in on those bite sized brownies.  Oh no!  I thought I was past those demons - oh no - they are still there.  This is the worst I have done in the past 11 months - worse than the Christmas holidays.  

So what I learned - I cannot let sweets be in my house at this time without me being supervised.  If sweets enter - they must leave with somebody or go immediately in the trash or disposal where I cannot reach them.  I have a horrible sweet tooth and absolutely love them.  I do not need to make them to take to a party or to someone - just too tempting.  Thank goodness we are empty nesters so I can hold strong.  I feel for you all who have to cook for families!

Yesterday I went to the gym and hit the cardio hard.  I'm just up a 1 1/2 but going to get back on the wagon.  Going to hit the gym hard all week and lots of water and the rest of that veggie platter!  So it's also adjustment being social again - my husband and I cannot eat and drink like we used to at social events and really like people want us too.  At a happy hour the other night - a friend said - "just eat the sliders - it's small - just perfet for you guys"  but no it's not perfect - the shrimp ****tail is.  And alcohol is not our friend. So happy hour is not our friend either- Adjustments.

SO UGH - this is a tool that we can use but we can still fall off the wagon and graze.  

Miss150
on 2/4/14 12:11 am

What is it about that hidden eating?!!!  Wierd, I know!  Pick your self up and climb back up on the horse, girl. In our case, it's not the engine that kills us when we climb up on those old eating tracks--- it's when we stay on the tracks and let the caboose hit us days or weeks or months later, 'cause we've stayed there---sneaking and eating, that kills us.  New life- new behaviours with WLS---Claim the victory! 

goal!!! August 20, 2013   age: 59  High weight: 345 (June, 2011)  Consult weight: 293 (June, 2012)  Pre-Op: 253 (Nov., 2012) Surgery weight: 235 (Dec. 12, 2012) Current weight: 145

TOTAL POUNDS LOST- 200 (110 pounds lost before surgery, 90 pounds lost Post Op.diabetes in remission-blood pressure normal-cholesterol and triglyceride levels normal!  BMI from 55.6  supermorbidly obese to 23.6  normal!!!!  

The_True_KayD
on 2/4/14 12:34 am

I view this journey as a Cross country trip. Despite setting up the navigation system we can still take a wrong exit. At that point you can either find a place to turn around and get back to the route or keep going on that wrong turn. You found a place to turn around and get back on track. Getting back on track is a challenge that we all have faced! I applaud you that you learned something from the gathering and I am sure you will be able to deal with this challenge again! I had a meeting last night and the hostess put out some crackers and candy that I LOVE. It was right within my reach. I kept reminding myself that eating it would not serve any positive purpose. If my hand started to move toward the bowls I switched and reached for my water bottle. I got home feeling really good! It was a great lesson not only for you but for those of us *****ad it! Thanks so much! 

HW: 249  SW: 233  VSG: Dec 3, 2013    

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 87 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 301 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 348 views