3 year surgiversary today! *LONG*

anninva
on 1/10/14 4:13 am - Arlington, VA
VSG on 01/10/11 with

Hi all!!!

haven't been around a lot and I'm sorry about that!  Just wanted to come visit my WLS home and check in!

So, it's 3 years today since I had my surgery!  Seems like it just happened and seems like it happened a LONG time ago!  I'm not your average good-patient story but I am also living proof that much can be accomplished without being a Super-Person. As they say:  don't try this at home!  Or recognize that we all have very different paths to and definitions of success. 

Stats:  HW: 266  SW: 260  CW: 155-159

i'm 5' tall, wearing a petite 12/med and back to a size 5 1/2 shoe (went up 2 sizes when I gained). When I had surgery I was in a 26 pant, 26/28 top (horrible huge 42DDD boobs). 

Pre-ops and new post-ops, here is the truth of MY journey. I was petrified the last few days before surgery, doubting myself, thinking I should just start WW again, that i was a failure. Then they knocked me out!  LOL!

had a kind if hard time in the hospital bc I was really, really sick to my stomach the last 24 hrs. AND didn't fit on the big ole commode they brought in!!  This was most likely a result of my no getting the benzo I take 3 times a day (klonopin). My pdoc had told me I could go without the other stuff I take but NOT the benzo bc, yah know, that can cause seizures. I had told the surgeon's office (note from pdoc) as well as the hospital. I love my whole program but I did write a letter after discharge pointing out that they were likely to get more pts w psych meds and needed to get their **** together. So, if you are taking psych meds, beware, you will need to be your own advocate big-time. 

Honestly, the first few weeks until I got to pulverized real food SUCKED!!  I felt suck constantly, barely got anything, especially protein in. It makes me sick whenever I consume it. I managed to stay hydrated and that's the most important thing. I also went nuts watching ENDLESS Taco Bell ads on TV. Finally the NP suggested I have my partner go out get a taco, and then I could just stand in my kitchen and crunch up the actual taco and spit it out!  It actually helped a lot!!!

it's been a big process. I am SO glad I did it!!!!  It wasn't that long till I could eat basically regular food and feel "normal" and not queasy all the time. The next step was learning that I could eat a lot of regular food but not like a normal person!!  Lots and lots of slimy barfing. I never lost my hunger at all so I would get hungry, eat, barf. Jeez!  You definitely had a steep learning curve on that one!  And, honestly, it just happened last week!!  LOL!!!

my NUT and doc told me NOT to go lower than 1100 cals once I could eat that. And I lost. Also, my focus has been in getting in protein and not paying tooooo much attention to carbs. Again, I know that not the standard wisdom. Just what happened to me!!

it took me about 18 mos to lose 105 lbs after I had been at my new weight for 6 mos I had my scary looking boobs (looking at my feet and no****ching me brush my teeth as my pal the NP (who is a guy, abt 6' 4" and from Texas!) said. I was lucky that bc I had a car accident injury in one boob that was covered by ins. I had a tummy tuck as well for an extra $2500. Still paying that off but SO WORTH IT. That's a pretty perky 36D we're talking abt. Finally went to Victoria's Secret abt 3 mos ago and woot!!!!!!!

Maintenance is hard. I can eat anything now. Good restriction but if you wait there is always room. And I was aware if the disordered aspect of my eating long before WLS but didn't do enough abt it. I'm starting in a therapy group focused in eating issues in  two weeks.  It is absolutely true that crisp food is easy to eat a lot of.  Hard work, like I said!!

I would do this again in a hot New York minute. It has changed my life in so many fabulous ways!!  I don't really exercise (I KNOW!) but I can actually run, jump, and walk FAST!!!! Just got dx w osteoporosis a few weeks ago and I hope that's going to really kick my ass abt all this. 

I think that's about all. Here for abt questions!  I'm not Frisco or Elena but I'm a work in progress and pretty freakin' proud if myself!!!!!

Hang in there chickies!!  You CAN do this!!!!  Be proud of yourself for venturing down this path!  You're saving your life!!  Questions??  Fire away!!!!  Love, love, love my OH family!!

🎉⚡️🎉✨🎉⚡️🎉⚡️🎉⚡️🎉⚡️🎉⚡️

Ann             LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat           

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

DeeNY52
on 1/10/14 5:33 am

Thanks, Ann for the honest and compelling story.  I am 6 weeks out from my sleeve and losing very very slowly - just 20 lbs in 6 weeks.  It's hard to read about people who lost 30 lbs in 2 weeks, or who lost 100 lbs in 8 months.  I know that won't be me, but I also know that if I am realistic I will lose the 50 more lbs I need to lose.  Might take a while, but I'll get there.  It's good to know that success stories like yours are out there. Thanks

Dee

debk21
on 1/10/14 6:58 am - Mansfield, TX

Good to see you again Ann!!! Congratulations on all your awesome accomplishments and thank you for sharing your story! We're proud of you too!!!

Deb

Goal Reached in 12.5 Months
HW: 274   Pre-OpW: 266   SW: 254   CW: 125  GW: 145

You must permanently change your lifestyle if you want your weight loss to be permanent. You can do it!

mollz007
on 1/10/14 7:22 am
VSG on 02/20/14

Thanks for posting this, I love reading these stories from WLS vets. It is very encouraging.kiss You have done wonderfully, congrats on your progress!

check out my blog!

Tlove6
on 1/10/14 11:00 am

Thanksforthispost!IamhopingtohavesurgeryinMarch!Veryscared!

mokee
on 1/10/14 5:59 pm - OH

If you don't mind how old are you?   I am 67 and really need my arms and boobs done but am relucktant because of my age.  I understand if you don't want to tell.   You have done so very well.

VSG  12-28-2012

anninva
on 1/11/14 2:55 am - Arlington, VA
VSG on 01/10/11 with

No prob!  I am 54. Surgery/plastics hurt like hell but really glad I did it!  Wouldn't do my arms bc I think it leaves a nasty scar but otherwise!  Go for it!!

Ann             LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat           

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

linzeelee
on 1/11/14 8:18 am - Omaha, NE
VSG on 05/17/13

Happy anniversary, Ann! Congrats on your success!

Lindsay ~ 5'4" ~ HW (5/6/13): 280 ~ SW (5/17/13): 273 ~ CW: 140
Losses by month: pre-op: -8  M1: -18  M2: -12  M3: -13  M4: -9  M5: -10  M6: -12
  M7: -14  M8: -12  M9: -2  M10: -8  M11: -9  M12: -2  M13: -6  M14: -7

Miss150
on 1/11/14 8:32 am

Ann!  Great to see your post!  Love the taco story- ha- that's reality for the world to see.  Keep it going down the real path you are on.  All my best to you.  Bonnie.

goal!!! August 20, 2013   age: 59  High weight: 345 (June, 2011)  Consult weight: 293 (June, 2012)  Pre-Op: 253 (Nov., 2012) Surgery weight: 235 (Dec. 12, 2012) Current weight: 145

TOTAL POUNDS LOST- 200 (110 pounds lost before surgery, 90 pounds lost Post Op.diabetes in remission-blood pressure normal-cholesterol and triglyceride levels normal!  BMI from 55.6  supermorbidly obese to 23.6  normal!!!!  

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 87 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 300 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 347 views