What to say to "How much have you lost?"

butterfly3851
on 6/29/13 2:57 am - TX
I'm about halfway to where I think I want to be - have lost around 50 lbs. For some reason I'm not really wanting to answer my skinny friends about how much weight I've lost. I'm just saying "a bunch & have a long way to go still". I guess I don't want them to know how heavy I was when I started??? Is this a girl thing? Pride?

My husband is hilarious - he's also had the surgery (3 mths out) and has lost around 70 lbs (including pre-op) - he's telling when they ask - 150 lbs !! They are like "wow- then - no way!"

What are you saying? (And are you tired of hearing people say they can really see it in yr face??? )

shrinking_sarah
on 6/29/13 3:18 am - CA

I am an over-sharer by nature, so any time anyone asks me a question I just answer them, usually with more details than they want.

But I know this doesn't work for everyone.  And I get not wanting to answer at first.  Eventually, at least for me, I reached a point where I cared more about where I was than where I'd been, and the number didn't seem as awful.  I don't know if that makes sense.  I guess what I'm saying is that the closer I get to goal, the less I care if people know just how fat I let myself become.

Sarah, VSG Dr. Cirangle--12/28/12, HW: 265 SW: 253 GW: 130???

Tracy D.
on 6/29/13 3:21 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13
LOL - when good friends or family say "I can see it in your face" I just laugh and say, "yup, that's what I was going for - a thinner face!" My plan for when the questions come about how much is to just say "a lot and I feel really good about it".

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

butterfly3851
on 6/29/13 3:26 am - TX
Good replies! Yes - we always dreamed of thin faces!!

Sarah- I hope when I get further down this road I'll be where you are and just be proud of the journey and not be ashamed of where I started. What you said made perfect sense. Thank you!

happyteacher
on 6/29/13 4:02 am

At first I simply told people I wasn't sure.  Then I switched to a range.  Finally, I just started telling folks when they asked.  I found it ended quicker if I just told them how much instead of trying to redirect or be vague.  When they asked how my standard reply was, "It has been a combination of surgery, diet, exercise, and medicinal side effects.  Depending on what time period we are taking about one factor was more prevalent than another, however, long term it is very difficult to say what out of those had the most impact.  They were all important in the loss. "  In my case though, folks were assuming I was referring to cancer surgeries- not a partial gastrectomy.  

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

sleevegirl
on 6/29/13 4:49 am - Austin, TX

I was always honest. I mean, it was no secret I was extremely obese. I'm proud of where I am and how far I've come. I happily say "over 200 pounds" now :)

I have all along, even before I publicly said, "Hey, I had WLS"

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

rhearob
on 6/29/13 5:56 am - TN

The truth.  You have nothing to be ashamed of - either where you started or how far you have come.  Put it out there girl!

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

Kelly-AnneH
on 6/29/13 6:12 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
I just tell them. I've worked hard for every pound and am proud of it. When they ask how I tell them the first 35 with diet, exercise and the help of classes and a great dietitian. The rest with the help of gastric surgery that helped deal with my constant hunger and helps me be satisfied with very small portions of healthy food.

If they want to know more I draw pictures...

While I'm not proud that I was so fat that I needed help, I'm not ashamed of accepting help. Only a fool turns down needed help and I'm not a fool. I tell people that if they broke a leg, no matter how, they'd accept the help of a cast and crutches. My hunger and satiety controls were broken - I got them fixed. When you explain it that way most people "get it."

Kelly-Anne

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

debk21
on 6/29/13 7:07 am - Mansfield, TX

I'm so proud of my accomplishment, that I'm honest about it and people that knew me "before" are amazed.  Those that met me "after" cannot picture the old self.  And yes, the whole "face" thing really pissed me off, what about my stomach, dammit?  Anyway, soon you'll be hearing "Don't lose too much, you don't want to go the other way" and you'll get sick of that one too.  Just smile and say thank you.  You're doing great.  Keep up the good work.

Deb

Goal Reached in 12.5 Months
HW: 274   Pre-OpW: 266   SW: 254   CW: 125  GW: 145

You must permanently change your lifestyle if you want your weight loss to be permanent. You can do it!

(deactivated member)
on 6/29/13 7:16 am

I was uncomfortable telling people, other than those who were very close to me or my OH buddies, exactly how much I had lost along the way. Now, I'm comfortable and can answer, "Just over a 100 from my highest." And sometimes I just answer with the number (108) and move on to something new.

However, during WL, I often just smiled and said, "Thank you, but honestly, far more than I'd like to admit." Whenever I said that no one pushed for more info. I made it pretty clear I wasn't ready to share that info.

WL is personal. I was very proud of what I was doing and the weight I had lost, but I did not want people to know and judge me for how much overweight I truly was. I was embarrassed by how much I had gained over the years.

I know some people say be proud, be loud, that sort of thing. That wasn't me during WL. You choose what you are comfortable with doing.

PS - A lady at work (an overweight someone who was a vocal naysayer about my WLS) said something about my face getting too thin. I asked her to take a look at my ass and tell me what she thought of that because I was far more concerned about the size of my ass than my face looking too thin. I still had about 25 pounds to get to goal at that time and still had quite a butt behind me.  Shut her up and gave me and the ladies in the lunchroom the best laugh of the day!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 87 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 300 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 347 views