MAJOR NSV for Hubby - One week post-op!!

butterfly3851
on 3/27/13 4:15 am, edited 3/27/13 4:16 am - TX

My type II diabetic 54 year old husband had VSG last Monday  at 340 lbs- he has been suffering from post-herpetic neuralgia from shingles that developed last Memorial Day 2012 with many complications this past year such as 6th nerve palsy, tinnitus, hearing complications in the left ear, and vertigo.  He has felt horrible this past year for the most part.

He went back to work on Monday - a week out - did fine.  Yesterday he came from work and said "THIS IS THE BEST I'VE FELT IN 2 -3 MONTHS!!"  His tinnitus is at a minimum (little buzzing in his ears but not like it was)!!    He's down 17 pounds from the surgery date and 28 pounds overall!!!  His medications have already been cut in half!!

When researching post-herpetic neuralgia on all the different message boards, some people experienced healing and reducing of complications when they went on an anti-inflammation diet - cutting out all the white stuff.  By default with the pre-op and post-op diet, he is on an anti-inflammation diet and his diabetes is completely under control now!  

angryI am so excited to see such a benefit at one week out - I feel like we are getting our lives back!!  (And yes, I got my shingles vaccination!)

buzybee7
on 3/27/13 4:42 am - Oak Park Heights, MN
VSG on 03/14/13

That is wonderful news! 

~*~Shaunee~*~ 

Height: 5' 7"  Heaviest Weight: 330  Starting Weight: 306  Surgery Weight:  267  Goal Weight:  135

SophieNJ
on 3/27/13 6:02 am, edited 3/27/13 7:19 am - Parsippany, NJ
VSG on 03/05/13

Great news!! I'm so happy for the both of you. my hubby is also diabetic, pre surgery, and I can't wait til he can cut back on meds....he's been type 2 for about 15 yrs, on insulin about 10, so we know it's not going to cure him, but I hope he can cut back on shots (esp since today we found out our drug insurance cost went from $30 to $200 for a 3 mos supply....holey moley!!! and that's $200 for each of 2 meds!  yikes.

also, I have tinnitus for about 2 1/2 yrs....and every now and then lately, I think I'm not 'hearing' it....it's not gone totally, but it sure has toned down.  I can not figure out anything, but maybe you've got the answer, the anti inflammatory diet....it effects so much more then we know, or think of.

again, congrats to you both!

Sophie

butterfly3851
on 3/27/13 7:44 am - TX

Sophie - I can't wait to see how our pharmacy bills are reduced - the cost of medications has increased quite a bit this past year as the insurance companies are paying for less and less.  My husband and your husband sound quite a bit alike as far as the time on insulin - mine was on three diabetic medications before surgery - is now just on one!  His doctor is so pleased with his blood sugar levels.  Good luck to your husband also!

Do you think your tinnitus has been reduced since your surgery?  I hope this is a permanent side effect from the surgery!

Christine M.
on 3/27/13 9:48 am
VSG on 04/10/13

I have HORRIBLE tinnitus.  I would give anything to hear NOTHING!!  Something else to possibly look forward to!!

Darlene O.
on 4/17/13 11:11 pm - Cypress, TX
RNY on 01/02/13 with

Conratulatoins on your surgery!. I hope you are feeling okay. Just curious, dd the surgery help your tinittus at all?  I am suffering from severe tinittus that started 2 1/2 weeks ago.  I can't seem to get any relief no matter what I try.  Hope yours is better.  If you aren't on amy facebook support groups yet, let me know and I will invite you.   They are so wonderful for support.

Darlene

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 87 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 300 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 347 views