New to the board, Questions regarding Sleeve & Diabetes

fiefx5
on 1/4/13 7:29 am

I am meeting with a WLS doc for the first time this coming Tues. morning.  My doctor has been pushing Gastric Bypass and I just have really struggled with it.  I liked learning about the DS but I only have 80-100 lbs to lose and my BMI is 40 not 50 and with the malabsorption issues I'm rethinking now possibly the Sleeve might be the way to go.  I'm 5'1", I have diabetes and lupus, and though I exercise (strength training and cardio 5x weekly) (my personal trainer is the guy who does the fit2fat2fit.com website.  He gained 80 lbs so he could understand the emotional and physical issues his clients went through in losing weight, then lost 80 lbs in 6 months... his workout plans, meal plans (all low carb, no grains, dairy) are free on his site.)  anyway... I eat healthy, work hard and still struggle with  my blood sugars.  As a result I have severe neuropathy and cornea erosion problems. 

So... my question is does anyone have experience or know how the sleeve works in resolving diabetes?  I know Gastric bypass and DS it is almost immediate if not immediate... but I haven't heard anything regarding the sleeve.  I tried calling the number listed on here to ask questions but it said the number is blocked which is odd... but anyway... I am really starting to feel good about the sleeve but I'm doing this more for my diabetes then just my weight, which is coming off slowly but coming.

I have loved reading this forum and am excited to join.

Thanks!

Sleeveless
on 1/4/13 4:03 pm - CA
VSG on 11/26/12

I have type 2 diabetes and also wanted to lose about 90 pounds. I chose the VSG for various reasons, including the fact that I have arthritis, and want to be able to continue taking nsaids if I need to in the future.

I do understand that my diabetes may not go into complete remission and that I may have to resume taking diabetes meds in the future, but to me the VSG was just less drastic than the RNY or DS.

I know this probably doesn't tell you anything you don't know, but my *gut* feeling was just that less invasive was the way to go for me.

Good luck with your decision! Weight loss of any kind is sure to help your conditions.

Lynnegetsbrave
on 1/4/13 9:00 pm

My girlfriend had the sleeve in November and had diabetes.  She has lost about fifty pounds.  Within two weeks of surgery she was completely off her diabetes meds and her blood sugar has remained stable.  She would tell you while she doesn't eat "sugary" foods she doesn't pay a lot of attention to what she eats now.  That is anecdotal...but true none the less.

happyteacher
on 1/4/13 11:44 pm

I was diabetic, and it was fully resolved almost immediately.  This is a common experience for us sleevers.  For some, it does take a little longer.  I rarely see posts here of people who are still on meds 6 months out, and usually those folks are taking less.  This is not a scientific study.  BUT, I have seen research indicating that vsg is effective for resolving diabetes... I think that the stat was somewhere around 70%-80% of the time.  

Many docs will recommend rny for diabetes... mine did.  I think the reasoning, at least in part, is because Rny causes dumping if you eat sugar.  The dumping forces you to stay away.  I do eat sugar now.  You will need to de**** if dumping is a good thing for you (forces you to comply) or a bad thing.  In my case, as a teacher the idea of dumping while teaching is not compatable.  I can't leave a classroom full of 9 year olds to deal with something like that.  

The sleeve worked great for resolving diabetes, but keep researching.  My info is now  over a year old.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 134 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 393 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 424 views