Off Topic - Surgery and My brother with Brain Cancer..

Micmac2
on 7/31/12 3:22 pm
I don't mean to be a downer.  I'm actually excited for my surgery coming up on the 4th of September.  I'm starting to get the jitters but for the most part I am skimming over those thoughts pretty fast.   I guess I'm use to doing that with a brother who has brain cancer.  Im 37 he is 42, we are the 2 youngest of a family of four siblings. I'm the one who lives closest to home so I help out more then the other 2 siblings. I have older parents whom he lives with, two kids of my own with the youngest heading off to pre-k soon.  Im an emotional rollercoaster.  I'm reaching out mainly to know that maybe just maybe there is someone who is headed for surgery or went through surgery while there is madness around them.  My family is supportive but my brother is going down hill faster then we thought and they are just seeing the 'downside' to surgery.  Which Does make me worry when they harp on that.  Ive had 2 c-sections and lost four babies in early pregnancy, had my gallbladder out so I'm not afraid of surgery at all.  In fact, part of the reason I'm getting this surgery other then the obesity I've fought for my whole life is due to the fact I know my life in the next 3-5 years is going to be a an emotional battle. And I will lose the food battle without help physically and emotionally.  Anyway, I haven't posted much on this site but you all are such wonderful people who are raw with honesty so I needed to purge tonight.  Thanks.
Ohiogirl
on 7/31/12 3:34 pm - OH
VSG on 10/02/12
 You certainly have a full plate (pardon the pun).  I am so sorry you are going through all this.  I'm still pre op and I know the excitement as well as anxiety over the upcoming surgery.  Hang in there as best you can - sorry I don't have any answers but i will be thinking of you.

Paula
Bf516
on 7/31/12 9:45 pm
May you & your family be watched over & blessings fall.

vogue
on 7/31/12 10:50 pm
VSG on 08/30/12
Looks like we'll be surgery buddies, I think my date is Sept 4th as well... All I can offer you is my prayers & support.... I have been the full time caretaker to a family member with a terminal illness and I know its no east feat... Despite it all, you MUST take care of yourself...you cannot be any good to your children if you arent healthy. Good Luck with everything
jenngirl
on 7/31/12 11:05 pm
VSG on 06/25/12
I will pray for you Micmac. I have wanted this surgery for years. My grandmother was after me for years about my weight until she saw that her comments hurt me. Then she gave up on it and just showed me she loved me no matter how much I weighed. She passed last September and I hurt so bad from her loss. I decided, this was the year I was going to do something about it. While I will not be able to see the look on her face to see me be the slim Jennifer she always wanted to see me be, I know she will be looking down on me with pride at the decision I have made for myself.

Your parents are afraid of losing two children, but you have to do what you can to be there for your children. I am very sorry for what you are going through. I know that this is going to be an emotional battle. Be very aware of your eating habits, because they can creep back, especially if you are an emotional eater. Do something active. Spend as much time playing with your children. Enjoy them and every moment you have with them.

I pray that God lays His healing hands on your brother. I also pray for you and your parents as you take care of him. Just know that my prayers are with you.
louisamay
on 7/31/12 11:53 pm
VSG on 04/27/12
You're not being a downer.  You're dealing with a difficult situation and handling it well, or so it sounds.  Your parents are afraid.  They are probably having a difficult enough time dealing with your brother's cancer, and now they are afraid for you.

Do you have friends or other family who can help and support you if you aren't getting enough from your parents?

[I'm not gaining weight. I keep lowering my goal!] [I LOVE MY SLEEVE!]

Micmac2
on 8/3/12 12:59 pm
Thank you everyone.  This week has been a week of 'reality' for my brother and our family.  He has fought hard for a  year and all of sudden .. mulitple tumors.  I have my surgery so its hard to say ''Hey mom Im off to get surgery" while my brother coud be potentially dying.  But I have too.  I do have many friends who support me but I guess I feel like Im supporting everyone but myself.  Leaves me a bit afraid of how im going to do afterwards.  I have OH for some of this for sure and so very greatful.  Bless you all for being so sweet.

Micmac2
on 8/3/12 1:00 pm
I have a wonderful husband of 12 years also I failed to mention and my 2 great kids (8,4)
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 87 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 300 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 347 views