My journey six months out...

charmaine A.
on 8/8/11 4:49 am - MI

My decision to decide to have wls was due to being at home last year and I stopped breathing..It was due to overmedication from my primary care physician.. I was on 16 medications and when I left the hospital that week, I went home on one.  But it was a wake up call for me..My entire life I have spent helping others..my family, friends, neighbors, kids, hubby and never had I ever made a choice for myself.  I put everyone first.  And the VSG was the best decision I could have made.  I had looked over and over at the bypass but I always backed out.  That day in the hospital I called the bariatric center and made an appointment.  I was willing to do whatever it took for me to get surgery.  I talked with the surgeon and he asked me if i knew of the "sleeve".  I hadnt and he explained to me what it was.  I liked everything he said.  So my choice was VSG.  It took me  a year of nutritional visits etc for my insurance to pay for it.  I spent a year researching everything I could find as well as finding this site, and six months ago yesterday I went in for surgery.  I was not sure of my expectations honestly.  I had never been able to achieve weight loss and keep it off.  I figured I would fail at this like I had failed every attempt I have ever done.  I just knew I would be the one who this didnt work for.  I had written letters to my children with promises of things I could not due to my weight..and six months later I am 90 pounds lighter, have a loss of 54 inches (11 hips, 11 waist,8 bustline), my bmi has gone from 57.2 to 42.7..I had originally wanted to hit 100 pounds by six months but I havent lost any weight in 3 weeks but I have lost 11 inches.  I have gone from a clothing size of 30/32 to a 20 and I am in xl shirts...I have experienced many nsv's but the two that are the best for me are these:  I have always wanted to take my children to cedar pointe...an amusement park and ride the rides with them.. We did..I spent the entire day walking and standing in lines and had no trouble...There is one ride i could not ride due to my legs n size..but that is my goal next year...top thrill dragster..i will be riding you next year!   the other big one for me, was yesterday my husband was able to pick me up and put his arms completely around me...I have returned to work..which i quit doing because it was so hard to do at my weight(waitressing) and now I can work a 14 hour shift with not wanting to quit after an hour.  This decision was the best thing I could have done for myself and my family.  I had no pain after surgery, only one food intolerance ..pasta..i tried a bite of my husbands lasagna and It gave me a belly ache so i avoid it...its a blessing in itself. My family has been eating healthier because I am, and I find them trying to exercise more often.  I started on my exercise bike riding a half mile and stopping to 18 miles and hour now..I have not limited any foods for myself at all..If I want to eat something I do...I just try to avoid as much as I can and get all my protein in.  I never gave up coffee.. I was supposed to but I didnt.  This has been the easiest six months and I am looking forward to the next six...Life is getting easier everyday for me and I am so thankful I made this decision for ME...

Best of Luck, Charmaine

Daisy_Rose
on 8/8/11 5:06 am
 I love your line, "I did this for me."  What an encouraging post!!
charmaine A.
on 8/8/11 6:46 am - MI
thanks so much...

Best of Luck, Charmaine

G-Wiz
on 8/8/11 6:41 am - LA
Yoour message is sooooo... what I needed to hear. I have given myself permission to put me first and I am doing this for ME, but tomorrow is my "sleeve" day and I have been anxious about it. Four months of jumping through hoops and then now that it's here I get jumpy. Go figure.... Thanks for the positive message....

HW:387#,  CW: 341.7#,  SW:326.5#, GW 180#...
SLEEVE SURGERY DATE  AUGUST 9, 2011.....                      
charmaine A.
on 8/8/11 6:50 am - MI

thank you very much...getting jumpy when surgery is tomorrow is perfectly normal..Just know that when you awake from surgery you will be a completely different person.  Make sure you walk n walk and walk...i went home the day after surgery with pain meds (loratab) and i took it one time because i would awake in pain, but after that I never took it.  Just take each day and pay attention to your body closely..You will learn the quirks that are right for you.  As long as you have fully educated yourself on the process you will do great!  If you need anything feel free to ask..I will pray for you tomorrow hugss..

Best of Luck, Charmaine

Mrsk2011
on 8/8/11 8:30 am
Congrats on ur success.. i to am having surgery with dr katz aug 29th and im so excited i cant wait.. i get on OH everyday and read everyones story and i tell my husband omg i cant frickin wait for that to be me lol im so happy for u...

charmaine A.
on 8/9/11 3:03 am - MI

Dr Katz was amazing...Im sure you are excited...the time will go so fast.  Just make sure you walk afterward..the more you walk the faster he lets you out lol....Good luck and thanks.

Best of Luck, Charmaine

theshrinkingmimi
on 8/8/11 8:40 am
You have done a great job. Congratulations. I'm glad that you focused on your inches lost- not the stall. I say that the scale is not nearly as complex as our bodies. You are obviously working your sleeve.
Pre-liquid diet 392; VSG'd on 6/10/11; 5'9"; SW 368/ GW 195?

Pounds lost: mth1=26.7; mth 2=21.2; mth 3=24.8; mth 4=13.8; mth 5=14.2;  
            mth 6=11.8; mth 7=9.2; mth 8&9= 17.2    
charmaine A.
on 8/9/11 3:04 am - MI
thanks mimi...it really has been a life changing experience.  I look at theworld differently know..and I have learned to love myself. :)

Best of Luck, Charmaine

dejahsmom096
on 8/8/11 8:50 am
Congratulations !!!! Isn't is great to be focused on YOU for a change? I feel the same way. You are doing wonderful.
T.R       

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 132 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 392 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 423 views