Traveling a ways for surgery...expectations?

taracarter42
on 5/14/11 10:03 am
 I'm traveling from Canada to Idaho and then flying to San Diego and traveling down to Mexico.

So, my concerns are what should I expect after surgery?  We are going to stay in Idaho for a week but then driving 17 hours home (with 5 CHILDREN)!!!

What in the world am I getting myself into?  How much pain was normal for you?  Were you a crabby bi***?  lol  I'm worried about making such a long trip home!
Gracieteddy
on 5/14/11 10:10 am - IA
Everyone is different but I was still throwing up and went in for dehydration right around a week out. I assume you have another adult driver? Canada doesn't do these surgeries? Also blood clots are a concern for three months my Dr said they don't recommend travel because of the blood clot risk. I would talk to a professional.

taracarter42
on 5/14/11 10:16 am
 Oh Lord!  I may need to fly.  The doctor said as long as I stop and walk every couple hours, and as long as I wear compression socks I should be ok.

I didn't think about throwing up and dehydration though!  Oh what am I getting myself into? lol
Gracieteddy
on 5/14/11 10:26 am - IA
I bet you can't take asprin either. The risk goes up with increased weight. I don't want to say your Dr is wrong but  I would get a second oppinion. PS I am an RN....

Chino67
on 5/14/11 1:01 pm - Canada
I flew from Edmonton to san diego and then drove to tijuana. \the traveling home was just fine. I was not to hot the first 2 days after surgery, but then was pretty good. I was surprised! I was shopping on the 3rd day post op in mexico. I just kept sipping water slowly, and my saving grace was popsicles, and freezes. They went down well and kept me hyderated. I made a huge point for walking as soon as I could after surgery and every hour after that to move the gas they use to do the surgery.Even when I did not want to at all, I made myself and I used gasex strips.

First 30 days 31lbs
KathyA999
on 5/14/11 10:19 am, edited 5/14/11 10:20 am
In terms of throwing up, that's often a reaction to anesthesia.  Have you had surgery before?  If so, have you reacted that way?  You can ask your surgeon for nausea meds, too.

I went to Mexico also, although I live in Southern California.  I'd say I traveled a total of 7 hours - about 90 minutes from Mexicali to San Diego in a van, another 90 to wait for my flight, an hour to LAX, and three hours (arrgghh! stuck in traffic!) to drive home, should have been about 60 minutes. 

Not sure how long Alvarez keeps his VSG patients, I was in Mexicali for three nights after surgery.  By that time I felt perfectly fine, wasn't even on pain meds.  My incisions were doing well, although still bandaged of course, and I had no post-surgical issues, thankfully.  I was a little tired.

Assuming the same for you, I think a long drive would be OK as long as you get out every few hours and walk around.  That'll lengthen the drive, of course, but would be worth it.  You might see about compression stockings also.  The advice to ask a professional is good.

Good luck!

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

kats-mom
on 5/14/11 11:12 am - TX
VSG on 02/15/11 with
My doc didn't want me to travel (by car****il I was on soft foods or regular foods. I waited till after my 6th week to visit my daughter in GA. BTW, I have several other medical conditions and this could be why my doc wanted me to wait a while (I didn't ask the reason).

Best of luck to you in what every your decision is!
   Lorraine    kats-mom
        Highest Weight-285  /  1st Nutritionist Appt-275  /  Pre-op Diet-257  /  
                               Day of Surgery: 246  /  Day Home-257

Jasonm11
on 5/14/11 11:22 am
I drove(well rode) home 6(turned into about 9-10 due to stops) hours the day after surgery...stopped and walked every 30 to 45 minutes for atleast 10 minutes...and moved around alot in the car just to get comfy....I also had a shot of heparin just before leaving...I wouldsuggest if you can fly, do that. If not, stop often and walk for a good 10 minutes every stop.
(deactivated member)
on 5/14/11 11:22 am
 Well I imagine if she is traveling from Canada to Mexico it is for cost reasons or to get speedy medical care ;)

I'm traveling to Mexico myself just a few days before you are. Good luck!!!
taracarter42
on 5/14/11 11:32 am
 We are in Canada on a 2 year wok Visa.  The wait list here for the surgery is 5-7 years...and my insurance in the states won't cover it.

I will fly back from San Diego (after surgery) and then stay in Idaho for a week before we drive home.

I will talk to a couple different surgeons and get their thoughts :)  Thanks everyone for our help!!! 
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 135 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 393 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 424 views