What are your views on my situation?

Jessyw
on 12/15/08 7:19 pm - polarbears&igloos, AK

Hello everyone. Well I posted on here a while ago. Well I am 16 and I have a BMI 88.9  I know bad. Well I went and got blood work done the other day and everything came back good. I weigh 502 pounds and am 5'3 and I do not have diabetes or high blood pressure or high cholesterol or anything. My only problem is I'm severely overweight. My doctor suggested I go and meet with one of the local gastric bypass RNY surgeon, and well I received a phone call today from the surgeon's assiant and she said that my BMI is to high for my age and that the doctor did not want to do my surgery. I feel like surgery is my last chance, its a life or death thing for me. My weight has taken over my life, I get pain so fast just for standing up for a minute or two. I had to switch to home school because I cannot do public school, I get to out of breath and sprain my ankles to easily. My thyroid was tested because I was on a low portion diet with no sugar and limited salt for a year but only lost 26 pounds and then in two days of no change in diet I gained it all back and no one knows why. Ive always loved sports even tho my size has made it difficult Ive always been very active but still here I am at 502 pounds. My main doctor told me that he doesn't want to give up on me like other doctors have and that he will do whatever it takes for me to be able to be a normal healthy teenager. Ive researched the RNY so much and know some things of what to expect and I understand that its is a risk but I am willing to take that risk if it means to be a happy healthy person. I don't believe I was put on this earth just to die before I was 20 but that's how things are looking. Just because one surgeon said no doesn't mean they all will, right? Do you think that having surgery will be best for me? what are your views? Every-ones opinions are welcome. I am willing to make all the sacrifices I have to and put all of my will power into it No doubt. I will give up everything that I do in this life I have now so that I will have a future.

plusizedbarbie
on 12/16/08 6:04 am - Manahawkin, NJ
hey hun, I was 18 when I went to my surgeon for the fist time.  My BMI was 63, he wanted it at least 55, so I went on a diet for a year and a half and got my RNY 1 month after my 20th birthday.  You need to go to a nutritionist and start loosing weight, oddly enough that is the only way to get surgery.  You will probably need to loose around 80lbs, I had to loose 40.  I know its silly that u have to loose weight to get surgery, but it sounds like you deff need surgery, you can do it with the help of your doctors!
MY WLS RECIPE BLOG!  -- Check it out http://plusizedbarbie.blogspot.com/

Lilypie - (vbmr)    Lilypie - (fb9N)

Changed for good
                            ...september 17, 2007...

Melissa M.
on 12/31/08 1:54 am - Seabrook, TX
Are you willing travel outside of Alaska for surgery??
Jessyw
on 12/31/08 2:04 am - polarbears&igloos, AK
Yepp Im going to have to.
RainyDayWoman
on 12/31/08 2:23 am - Fridley, MN
Hi!  You are a beautiful girl and I've been reading your posts.  You seem very sensitive and mature as well.  If you are smart enough to consistently take your supplements daily and follow the rules of your surgery, I think surgery would be your best option.  Let's face it, people of our size don't have great luck with just dieting and brisk walking, right?

I know Dr. Buchwald here in Minneapolis, Minnesota, has performed DS surgery on people your size and larger.  He has also performed it on some younger patients.  He is a fine surgeon and has never lost a DS patient as far as I know.  He's definitely worth contacting.

Best of luck to you.
Lilypie - (SzbI)
Blackthorne
on 12/31/08 5:56 am - Alpharetta, GA

I was referred here from a link on the DS board.  I believe I've seen your face there as well, so you may already know this.    There are several DS surgeons who have performed surgeries on people who are SSMO  (Super Super Morbidly Obese).   

Dakotahmama was over BMI 80 when she had her surgery about 18 months ago with Dr Buchwald in Michigan. 

Anne S was SSMO - I don't remember her BMI, but she was 440lbs at the time of surgery.  She was operated on by Dr Smith in Atlanta.  

I believe Dr Rabkin has done the DS on SSMO as well, and I know my surgeon, Dr Marchesini of Curitiba Brazil has operated on people up to 800lbs. 

Both Anne & Dakotahmama were Medicare patients at the time, so if you have that, they would be two choices to consider.     What are your options financially?   Do you have insurance?  Medicare?   Do you have the ability to self-pay?    My surgery in Brazil (including travel) was about $15k.  

--BT

Six years postop.       All co-morbidities are resolved.  Lost 101lbs in 1st year.   High wt: 277 Surgery wt:  260.7  Currently:  143lbs.    I'm Blackthorne99 on MyFitnessPal.

Click here to read my blog: Unicorns & Stranger Things
Violet S.
on 12/31/08 7:53 am - NY
In my opinion, the DS would be an ideal surgery for you. It has a great track record for weight loss and long-term maintenance.... I got mine 4 months ago and I have already lost 80 lbs.  Come to the DS board... there are several OH members there who can give you more specifics about surgeons that will perform WLS (specifically the DS) on teens. Good luck. You are so smart to start looking into this now while you are still young and haven't developed any co-morbidities yet.  Best wishes, Violet
msenviichiq
on 1/21/09 7:10 am - Bloomfield, NJ
yeah i think you gotta have ur bmi be a certain number to the doctors limit but no i dont believe every doctor will say no but for sum motto if u want it real bad work while you wait for dat perfect doc
sum insider info wat i do to keep mii eatin right and working out a picture of ciara abs i luv her music and body so she keeps me focus i trapped it on mii ceiling so there no way to avoid it it de 1st thing i see in de morning

apryldee
on 2/7/09 4:33 pm - houston, TX
you may just need to loose some weight and try again. many dr.s for your saftey want you to be at a lower bmi. i know many say travel, but when considering that optio you have to remember that if u have complications or whatever how long or hard is it going to be to get help from this dr. i am 22 and had my surgery about a month and a hal*****his is a big step and it is very risky and the higer your bmi the more risk u are at. if u have any questions pm me.

SW 280/ SW 266/ PPW 175/ CW 185

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal picture

jelizabeth
on 4/26/09 1:58 pm
Hi Dolly,
Just wanted to tell you that God loves you and is with you every step of the way no matter what decision you make. Write back and let me know how you are. OK? God Bless You, jelizabeth
Most Active