Death

jeff1
on 5/21/10 1:22 pm

My late wife had the micropouch procedure in 2003. Her death certificate indicated that "due to or as a consequence of Gastric Bypass, total colectomy that  came from toxic megacolon from clostridium difficile and direct cause of death was then septic shock. She was a model patient *****mained thin during these 6 years and after taking antibiotics for a puncture wound was fine for two weeks then this. She died last year. Just a note to those considering.

kroggie18
on 5/26/10 11:43 am - Eastpointe, MI
Hi Jeff,  I am so sorry for the loss of your wife.  May I inquire about her age?  I am 47 and I am thinking about the surgery.  I am in good health and worry that if I keep putting it off, I will suffer from other obesity related illnesses and make the surgery more dangerous.

Karen
Candace Sparkles
on 10/25/10 11:42 am

Karen,

Jeffs loss is something that will never be forgotten, and we all are so very sorry for what he has went through. There have been a couple other tragic losses of members over the years. However Karen you just have to remember there is a risk with anything. If you look at the numbers you have a greater risk of dying of the flu shot than dying during this surgery. Is there a risk? Yes. Have I ever known a single person who has so much as had a complication after surgery? No. I had the DS and i will forever be grateful that I was afforded this tool to change my life. The most important thing with this type of surgery is to do your research. Make sure you go to an experienced surgeon and be your own health advocate. Good luck in your research. i welcome you to come on over to the DS boards, we'd be happy to help you with any questions you make have.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/a,messageboard/board_id ,5357/

My DS

100% EWL achieved!

sw 291/cw 134/gw 145 (Resetting goal to 135!) (resetting yet again to 120!)

shrinkpachyderm
on 2/14/11 11:10 am
Jeff i am so sorry that your wife died, especially considering the way she passed away. There are more complications long term compared with straight after.
My friend just passed away after maintaining weight loss long term.
She had the gastric bypass. Her bowel played up from the beginning.
I am not having that op any more as my bmi is too high. I am to have the gastric sleave.
We are in the hands of the surgeons and our bodies reactions to the alterations made to our bodies.
Nothing i can say will even compare to Jeff's story. All i know is my friend is dead also and i'm in turmoil waiting to see where my life will lead me after a long awaited gastric sleave op.
I am releaved Jeff that i am not undergoing the bypass op.
I hope in time you will have peace. Time is the only healer. I will carry my riend with me on my journey. unfortunately i need intervention .
Again i wish i could change things for you Jeff and my friends 3 lovely children that she leaves behind but i do not want my mother to have to bury me b4 my time.
With deepest sympathy
  Denial is not a river in egypt.
It's never to late to start over    
Most Active
Recent Topics
TESTING
DonaldDuck · 0 replies · 5286 views
Support for Non-Surgical Members
Cathy W. · 0 replies · 5966 views
Not a lot of support happening here.
JLS_NJ · 2 replies · 7164 views
No One posts here...