Spouse forum for spouses only?

SarahV71
on 3/25/10 6:27 am

Hi!  My husband just had WLS, and I’m looking for a support group for spouses only.  This forum, honestly, seems to be populated primarily by the WLS patients themselves, or at least, it’s clear that WLS are reading and commenting.  I go to his bariatric support group meetings regularly, have read everything I can about the surgery and its effects – I don’t need more information like that. I just want somewhere I can blow off a little caregiver steam without feeling guilty.  Any suggestions?

Mountainman50
on 3/25/10 8:59 am - Denton, TX
Hi! My Hubbies picture is probably popping up because I am responding from his account. I like to cruz the DS weight loss forums for imformation for him and I ran across your thrad request. My DH will be having DS on 3/12/10. We are both so excited. What type of WL surg did your husband have and what is going on with him?
Feel free to respond on my hubbies acct because he is fine with it, or if it is more personal and you would like me to open my own account so it's more private from "the guys" I will LOL!
Mrs. Mountainman
Mountainman50
on 3/25/10 9:06 am - Denton, TX
oops! Surg date 4/12!!!
SarahV71
on 4/12/10 2:26 pm
Hi there!  Thanks so much for writing back.  I hope hubby's surgery went well!  We found that the time immediately after surgery was pretty emotional; mostly good, but I think a lot of his lifelong frustrations about his weight came to the surface.  He's doing really well, and has already lost about 50 pounds from the pre-op and post-op diet.  Good luck to both of you; he sounds lucky to have you to support him!
jewel4dug
on 4/12/10 7:49 am
Hi,
I just joined today also looking for new info to help myself and my husband. My husband had gastric bypass in Aug of 09. He has lost over 100 pounds so far and is doing great. I have also lost 87 pounds just doing the diet with him. So if you have any questions you can shoot them my way and i will try to answer. Each new phase of the journey brings new questions even for us at this stage. I also have gone to all my husbands bariatric support group meetings and Dr appointments. Any one who says they took the easy way out is definitely NOT familiar with WLS.
SarahV71
on 4/12/10 2:32 pm
Hi!  I've heard about a lot of spouses either getting the surgery together or the non-surgery spouse losing weight too because of the better diet, which is great.  My problem is actually that I am underweight, so I'm trying to figure out how to continue to maintain a healthy weight and still retain a "family dinner" kind of atmosphere - ie, NOT lose weight while continuing to cook and eat with my husband.  The pre-op and Stage 1 post-op stages were particularly hard, but now that he's in Stage 2, it's a little easier.
Michael J.
on 4/20/10 2:21 pm - Columbia, TN
I came to this site because my husband scheduled his bariatric surgery after meeting with the surgeon today.  I am so nervous about all of it and thought that other spouses would be the perfect support system!  I am so glad to read that several of you have lost weight.  I, myself, need to lose weight and plan to diet right along with him.   I look forward to reading more and sharing the journey with you.

honeyskat
on 4/25/10 12:43 pm
My wife will know when her RNY is scheduled within days. I have been as supportive as I can be but still need support as well. This is journey that they most definitely don't go on by themselves. I my do not need to lose any weight but have been working out since January in hopes of being able to keep up with her after her surgery. This is a tool that we can all use as well.
Michael J.
on 4/25/10 1:05 pm - Columbia, TN
Fortunately (??) I do need to lose weight...about 1/2 of what my husband needs to lose.  I am hoping that this new journey will help all of us (we have 2 children 6 and 8 yr) to get healthier.  We joined the Y and have said no more fast food. 

I keep thinking of food related events etc that will be so different now.  I know that sounds so stupid probably.  I mean, his being healthy and with us for many years is far more important than the holiday traditions we have. 

Anyway, it's nice to "meet" you. 

Warmly,
Kristina
honeyskat
on 4/25/10 3:20 pm, edited 4/25/10 3:21 pm
Kristina,
You can definitely use this to help the entire family we have. As a matter of fact the first thing we did was to get smaller plates for home. We got some that are only 7 1/2" instead of the 10" standard plates. We also started making less food, it is a proven fact that most of America's eating problem is portion size. We also got a Total Gym in January and it dose a great job in stretching, strengthening and toning. Love the machine but my wife will not be able to use it until her Dr. approves it after surgery. It works your abs with ever exercise. You will make new traditions that will be activity based for the holidays, no worries!
Most Active
Recent Topics
TESTING
DonaldDuck · 0 replies · 5286 views
Support for Non-Surgical Members
Cathy W. · 0 replies · 5966 views
Not a lot of support happening here.
JLS_NJ · 2 replies · 7164 views
No One posts here...
luvmyhubby55 · 1 replies · 6911 views
help needed
konieckursu · 0 replies · 6944 views