Melinda A.’s Posts

Melinda A.
on 1/10/14 2:31 am
Topic: RE: PSA: Take my post with a grain of salt

I am opposite of you...I'm of on Ambien (that's what I take, now,) but when I take Lunesta all hell breaks loose.  I eat TONS, I strip naked, I make strange calls, I have looong conversations that I have no recollection of, I send emails...the list goes on.  Don't worry too much about offending people, I think most of us understand the Ambien crazies once you explain what happened.

Melinda A.
on 1/10/14 2:14 am
Topic: RE: What do you take for pain relief?

Unfortunately, Tylenol does nothing for me -- ever.  I ignore minor pain, Ultram for moderate pain, Imitrex for migraines, and Norco for severe pain.  It's a thin line to walk with the doctors, I have to make sure to be open with them so they can be comfortable that I am not drug seeking.  I have chronic pain issues though, so not sure the med issues are related solely to my RNY.

Melinda A.
on 1/10/14 2:08 am
Topic: RE: Your Surgeon

Hand picked - he was the head of bariatrics at one of the university hospitals in DC and many of the surgeons in my area had studied under and worked with him.  He had been in practice the longest and offered the best and most comprehensive program.

Melinda A.
on 11/22/13 2:35 pm
Topic: RE: Never full

You all keep saying the vets will chime in, but you "newbies" have gotten it correct.  I can't even imagine that the O******ious or that there is even an actual question somewhere burried in this post.  You will likely not feel full because your nerves have been cut.  You are also not going to be full because you are eating slider foods (cheetos go right through the stomach - they aren't going to fill you up.)   

My question is why are you sabotaging yourself?  I am certain you didn't make this life altering decision to simply go back to your old ways.  Every center has its own plan, but I can guarantee you that none of the foods you listed are on any of those plans for 3 weeks out.  My advice is this: 

1) Contact your surgeon/dietician and ask for guidance regarding your food stages/diet & get rid of all of that processed, high carb/fat/calorie food

2) Focus on protein first eat tiny bites, sit there, chew (like you have been), do not get up...sit there until you have eaten your measured portion (probably about 2oz of maybe tuna or chicken breast - whatever is on ur plan), eat your meal within about 30mins - don't get up and putter around, add in some complex carbs if you have room - this early out -- you probably won't 

3) Seek therapy - it's important to fix our minds...this journey is mind-blowing--we need all the help we can get

Unfortunately the internet doesn't have a "tone" button - I'm being blunt not b**chy.

Melinda A.
on 11/10/13 10:06 am
Topic: RE: Aspartame poisoning! and diet sodas

It is not an article.  It is a blog post.  I didn't call anyone stupid.  No one on this thread stated that aspartame gave them lupus or MS.  Sugar alcohols can cause gastric upset for some people just as lactose and gluten can cause problems for others.  I mean that the AMA, the FDA, and the RDA know more about the effects of this than do you.

Snopes did your homework for you - primary sources and all.  Simply read the plethora of articles available there.  Why are you so adamant at attacking me about this?  Here, I'll summarize it for you --digest this information....Aparatame does not cause lupus, MS, or neurological upset.

Now, drop it ...I will not be replying to any more of this dribble since I have written the same thing 3 times.  

Melinda A.
on 11/9/13 8:04 am

Did you read any of the Snopes articles that debunked the aspartame myths?  Each of those articles are from the AMA, the FDA, and from peer reviewed medical studies.  Why would you choose to believe blog posts and stories from an internet site without first doing your research?  Also, my doctors (including my neurologist) do not believe this nonsense, either.

Snopes is a respected site that uses primary sources and peer reviewed articles/studies to prove things either true or false.  It should be one of the first places you look when you read some of these "mass hysteria" blogs/emails/facebooks posts.

Some people may have damage...but it's from something else and should not waste precious time thinking it's sweet 'n low causing it.  Anecdotal stories are not proof nor do they indicate correlation let alone causation.

Melinda A.
on 11/9/13 7:49 am
Topic: RE: Syntrax nector lumpy?

Oh, and I really like Fit Frappe by Big Train...check that out -- it's yum-tastic

Melinda A.
on 11/9/13 7:48 am
Topic: RE: Syntrax nector lumpy?

When I used Syntrax Nectar I would shake it up in the blender bottle with cold water then leave it in the fridge for a few minutes (10 or so), then I'd take it out and shake it up again -- usually gets rid of the lumps and the foam

Melinda A.
on 11/8/13 5:46 am

just go to snopes.com --- these myths have been debunked over and over again

Melinda A.
on 7/26/13 9:45 am, edited 7/26/13 9:45 am
Topic: RE: Vitamins/protein shakes

I love Fit Frappe by big Train.  You can buy them from the big train website, on amazon, and some other places.  They are sweet flavors but are yummilicious.  They have chai, coffee flavors, and non-coffee flavors. 

Melinda A.
on 6/17/13 3:13 pm
Topic: RE: How do you determine your goal weight?

I'm 5'10"/5'11"   I never really had a goal weight, just wanted to be in the normal BMI range.  My lowest weight was 148 and I looked skeletal...like, scary.  My maintenance weight was about 160-170 and I wore a size 8 or 10...still looked very thin - almost too thin. 

I just had a baby in Dec and weigh about 190 right now.  Still thin, but would like to get back to around 170 - I felt great there...but my surgeon told me I was too thin. 

I actually think 180 sounds like a good maintenance goal for you (cuz u say ur frame is so large).  You will most likely lose more than that at first and then have some bounceback to where you are most comfortable.  Just gotta see where you are most comfortable when you get there. 

Melinda A.
on 6/12/13 5:58 pm
Topic: RE: Medicaid

Not all Medicaid plans pay for protein and vitamins - mine doesn't.  Maybe the one in your state doesn't, either.  When I had private insurance they actually did pay for supplements - so I guess it depends upon your plan.

Melinda A.
on 6/8/13 5:30 am
Topic: RE: coffee?

I see nothing wrong with drinking coffee; but maybe you could try Click or Chike coffee flavor

Melinda A.
on 4/7/13 6:04 pm
Topic: RE: Major Tummy Troubles, Please Give me Some Advice

I am three years out from surgery.  Everything has been going well - I had a baby in December (Still trying to lose 30lbs from that--ugh!)  Anyway, I am having MAJOR stomach pain and am trying to see if anyone has some advice for me.

I went into the ER 2 Saturdays ago with excruciating chest and abdominal pain.  They did some imaging and found that I had gallstones so they tried to see if they could get the pain under control.  A WHOLE lotta dilaudid later with no pain relief, they decided the gallbladder needed to come out.  I had surgery and it went well.  However, I got basically no pain relief.  Separate from the surgery pain, I still have excruciating lower right abdominal pain.  They did more tests -- ultrasounds, endoscopy, MRI, etc and they found nothing.  They did find that my esophagus is a little inflamed - but that isn't the source of the pain.  They also found that I have a bit of pancreatitis, but said that's not bad and that it's common with RNY (I didn't know that, but whatever).

I was finally released from the hospital almost a week later with the same terrible abdominal pain ... they don't know what it is - so I will have to live on Percocets (which don't work, anyway).

Please, if anyone has any ideas of what may be happening and how to fix it.  I would be thrilled.  As it is, I cannot care for my 3 month old son and have been crying hysterically because I miss him while he is at various friends' houses during the day while my boyfriend is at work.  I'm also feeling like I'm about to end up in the ER again due to this terrible pain.  Advise me if ya can.  Thanks bunches!!

Melinda A.
on 4/19/12 2:00 pm
Topic: RE: open vs. lap. RNY
I had an open RNY.  My scar is about 1 1/2" long.  It's right in the middle of my stomach, but it's pretty much invisible, now - just a thin flesh colored bump.

I have no idea how my surgeon did the surgery through one very small incision -- but I'm cool with it.
Melinda A.
on 12/18/11 10:58 am
Topic: RE: Follow-up about body image...
LOL!  I can't STAND Kanye, I was a Katrina "victim" and get pissed everytime I think of his "George Bush hates black people" tirade. 

I roll my eyes but in a "I'm jealous and really want to be that way too," kinda way.  I definitely am gonna work on this.  I have no idea why I thought it just happens.  I thought it was a "ya either have it or ya don't" kinda thing.  

I have a boyfriend whom I have been with for 5 years.  He gets pissed when I put myself down.  He tells me how hot I am all the time....

You have definitely inspired me, yet again. . . thank you
Melinda A.
on 12/18/11 10:16 am
Topic: RE: Follow-up about body image...
This post makes me feel better.  I've always read your posts and admired what I saw as a positive body image...I had no idea how hard you worked to gain that sense of self esteem.  Sometimes (sad to say) I would even get to the point of rolling my eyes and being like "yeah Nik, I get it, ur awesome..." (I DO hate at times) 

I am 5'10" 155lbs and I have a terrible body image.  I know in my brain that I am thin -- but I just don't "see" it.  I read posts by people like yourself who accept themselves and love their bodies (ya know --for the most part)...and I berate myself.  I think ...WTH is wrong with you?  Ya got what ya wanted -- ur thin and people say you are beautiful....why do YOU not see it?

NOW I see that it doesn't just happen .... even those who come off as confident and self assured WORKED to get there.

Imma work on gettin' my swaggar on . . .
Melinda A.
on 12/17/11 10:42 am
Topic: RE: Nausea Bad
you live in Cali ...try something of the "herbal" variety, if ya know what I'm sayin.  If not...then that's not for you.
Melinda A.
on 10/11/11 2:42 am
Topic: RE: PICTURES!!
You look amazing!!!
Melinda A.
on 10/11/11 2:36 am
Topic: RE: Body Changes...let hear them!!
Yes!!  I totally have trouble shaving my arm pits, now.  They used to be flat, now they're - too deep or something ... weird, and TMI, I'm sure!
Melinda A.
on 10/7/11 11:14 am
Topic: RE: Dear Poet Kelly - Thanks
Oh yeah, I heart Kelly WHOLE bunches.  I don't think she has any idea how much she is appreciated.
Melinda A.
on 10/4/11 2:02 am
Topic: RE: Pain Control After other Surgeries
I had brain surgery 2 weeks ago and am having a HELL of a time trying to control the pain.  My docs are at a loss - stating pain isn't usually an issue with this surgery.  I was kept in the hospital a couple of extra days after the surgery bc the switch from IV meds took longer than expected.  We cannot find anything to control the pain -- what meds do y'all use/have you used in the past?

We have tried Roxicet, various forms/dosages of morphine, tylenol, neurontin, oxycontin, dilaudid and others.  All the narcotics do is help me rest for about 40 mins -- the pain remains at about a steady 8/9.  The neurosurgeon thought about ultram but said its so similar to Roxicet, it's not really worth it.  Right now I'm taking MS COntin, neurontin, and fioricet (along ith some seizure meds and I think I end my steroids today) ...I think I may whither away from the pain.  Seriously, I cannot take this pain anymore.

Please let me know if you have any advice.

(In case ur interested (I know it's been forever since I've posted anything -- they found metal lodged in my brain from a previous surgery, which they think caused teh seizures and 3 tumors!! but all were removed and surgery went fine except for this PAIN). 
Melinda A.
on 8/18/11 5:38 am
Topic: RE: Pot Smoking after Surgery
OK, so I've kinda skimmed through the responses, so forgive me if I repeat anything.  First, I am concerned that you are still having trouble keeping food down at almost 6 months out -- that's a problem that should be addressed by ur surgeon.  I will tell you that I couldn't eat for months and months after surgery and weed is what finally allowed me to be able to eat.  I just made sure I stayed away from junk and only ate things that are on plan.  I think it just got my "new" stomach used to food.  Eventually, I was able to eat without the help of green -- and I eat totally normally, now.

I've always been a marijuana smoker and it helped me with many medical issues.  (really don't care this is an open forum....we can have a legalization discussion if you wish, but that is not what this is about ....I would win, anyway ;-)--the facts are on my side).  I am thrilled that most of you reserved judgement -- I wouldn't worry TOO much about transfer addiction, the jury is still out on whether addiction to marijuana is even possible (I am not saying it is impossible, I am saying it is questionable). 

Bottom line, do what works for you - you are not the only one -- it helped me too --- check with your doc about your continuing food problems. (might want to try a vaporizer so ur not causing ulcers with the smoke)
Melinda A.
on 8/5/11 4:59 am
Topic: RE: Let's have an "air it out" session...
No, I haven't .... could that be it?  I hadn't eaten anything that morning - which is not unusual ... just had some coffee with mocha latte creamer and splenda like an hour beforehand.  I'm going to get that checked out ... thanks!
Melinda A.
on 8/5/11 2:44 am
Topic: RE: Let's have an "air it out" session...
OMG!  I NEED this today.  So, first I got laid off fromy my teaching job and have been frantically searching for a job ever since .... with absolutely no luck.  So, yesterday I finally had an interview.  I was extremely excited about it and had a feeling I wold get the job.

SO, on the way to the interview, I am minding my own business -- driving down the road.  Next thing I know,  I wake up in an ambulance on the way to the ER.  I can't remember the month/year, who the president is, or even where I live.  The EMT tells me I hit a telephone pole.  I blacked out, lost control of the car and smashed a pole.  Then, when I get to the ER, the police officer tells me I was trying to eat the broken glass at the scene and he had to take it out of my mouth.  He said I was acting "bizarre."  Even further, they found a can of keyboard cleaner (duster) in the back of my car and are dusting it for prints to see if I was huffing..... ARE YOU F'ING KIDDING ME!!??  My boyfriend, who uses my car all the time, is an IT tech and he had it in the car for work.  I'm not worried about that -- I know I didn't huff or even touch the can -- but really? 

I have absolutely no memory of anything.  I am just so glad I didn't hurt anyone else.  My car is totaled - both airbags deployed - I only had liability insurance.  AND I am not allowed to drive until a neurologist clears me.  I go see her this afternoon -- but how the hell am I supposed to get a job when I can't drive .....I don't have a car right now, anyway...

UGH!!!!!!!  My life sucks, it's just one thing after another.
Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 464 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 382 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 393 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 218 views
What?s on this Sunday?s menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 114 views
Recent Topics