Thinking about revision due to complications

ktharp89
on 12/14/22 6:00 am - Gaithersburg, MD

I had roux en y gastric bypass in March 2011 and I lost about 80 pounds. Over the course of the last decade with 2 babies and just life I've gained back about 50 lbs. I am considering talking to a surgeon about a possible revision because I've had complications for so long. Half the time I eat I am sick even if it is "safe" food. I feel nauseous constantly and food is always getting stuck. I am nervous about talking to someone because when I tried explaining my troubles to my surgeon after my original surgery he told me it was normal and I was learning to eat differently. Now, a decade later, I feel like my complications are not normal. Has anyone experienced this? I have absolutely no idea what will happen when I talk to someone about this. I'd love any insight.

lmfontana4
on 12/14/22 7:12 am
RNY on 03/24/21

It is not normal to constantly feel nausea or to feel that the food is stuck. The first step is to talk to your bariatric surgical team about your symptoms. Have you had annual follow-up with the surgical team? If not, you will need to re-establish care with the team. If you were unhappy with your bariatric surgical team, consider a transfer of care to another bariatric surgical group. They may ask that you undergo some testing (upper GI xray, upper endoscopy, etc.) to see if there are any anatomical reasons for your symptoms, such as a stricture (narrowing of the GI tract) that may be causing some of your issues before considering any surgical options. Regarding your weight regain, many bariatric clinics also use medical management meds for weight loss. So, there are some options for you in that regard. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

HW 296 SW 267.8 GW 130 LW 128.2 CW 131.6

Age 55 5 ft 4 inches

Roux-en-Y 3/24/21

Internal Hernia 1/14/22

Gallbladder 3/22

Volvulus 10/7/23-Reversal of RNY 11/19/23

The last of the human freedoms, to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances. (Frankl, 1946)

White Dove
on 12/14/22 12:52 pm - Warren, OH

It is possible you have a stricture, which can easily be remedied with outpatient surgery. After the first few months you should have been able to eat any food without feeling sick. Regain half of what you lost after 10 years is pretty normal. A revision usually gives about 20 pound loss due to liquid diet before and after surgery. To lose and maintain loss after RNY you need to eat only the number of calories you burn daily. That is roughly 10 calories per pound of your ideal weight. I maintain 136 by eating 1360-1400 calories a day. If I eat more the scale goes up.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Most Active
Recent Topics