I'm really beginning to like wine before bed

Lucile777
on 6/6/19 7:43 pm

So I know we're not supposed to drink, but the wine relaxes me RIGHT away. This is the second night in a row. God damn did I ever sleep well last night. I hope I don't become an alcoholic! The calories are probably not needed,either. Are you guys drinking post RNY?

RNY Oct. 27/17. HW 289; SW 285; GW 144; LW: 161 CW: 196 FML: Fighting regain :(

catwoman7
on 6/6/19 9:31 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

no. Well, twice - but that's been in the last four years (since my surgery in June 2015). I had a couple of glasses of champagne on my 20th anniversary, and then a couple of glasses of wine with a friend one other time. I know I have an addictive personality and two of my uncles on my mom's side of the family were/are alcoholics, so I don't want to take the risk.

bethmal
on 6/7/19 3:16 am
RNY on 12/26/17

I might have a glass or two once a month. I don't feel the need to have wine or any other alcohol though. It more of a social sipping event for me now.

You can't measure your achievements with someone else's yardstick!

Revision from lapband to RNY 12/26/17 with Dr. Caitlin Halbert

HW 260 SW 248 CW 154 GW 145

Gallbladder removed 9/18

Beth

Rosemi
on 6/7/19 5:16 am

No

White Dove
on 6/7/19 7:00 am - Warren, OH

Alcohol hits me much harder after surgery. The few times I have tried a glass of wine, I have become quickly disoriented, so I no longer drink it.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/7/19 8:25 am
RNY on 08/05/19

PLEASE stay away from alcohol. As you've pointed out, it's empty calories, and there is a huge possibility for what's called "transfer addiction." As we can't self-medicate with food, it's very easy to turn to alcohol, and because our guts have been rearranged, it can hit you VERY hard and do some pretty terrible things to your body.

If you're having trouble sleeping, have you tried melatonin?

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/7/19 9:23 am, edited 6/7/19 2:23 am

Just don't. It is red flag, even to you. It is an easy fix for stress and other issues, but it can cause more damage and problems.

Google alcohol addiction post op RNY. Not even mention the empty calories, blood sugar fluctuations, plus alcohol in me allowed me to eat more. Everytime I was regularly drinking alcohol, even not every day, I gained weight.

Plus - you think alcohol allowed you to sleep better. In reality it can cause poorer quality of sleep. Google that, there is a lot of studies about it.

Alcohol depletes some vitamins and minerals, another very negative for us issues.

I use magnesium and other calming supplements, that my body need anyway before bed. That really can improve my quality and length of my sleep.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Lucile777
on 6/7/19 11:40 am

Thank you so much. I'm extra tired today and will avoid it like the plague. thanks everyone for your replies!

RNY Oct. 27/17. HW 289; SW 285; GW 144; LW: 161 CW: 196 FML: Fighting regain :(

selhard
on 6/8/19 4:31 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

Top three reasons why I choose not to drink alcohol: 1) well into her 80's, my mother would emotionally talk what it was like to grow up in an alcoholic home 2) the long-running center for weight management I attended WLS classes at drilled and grilled about alcohol being a transfer addiction they witness over and over 3) alcohol makes me hot and bothered way more than relaxed

Most Active
Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 13 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 291 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 297 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 337 views