Thyriod and Gastric Bypass

Livebetter
on 10/3/18 1:42 pm

Anyone who had their thyriod remove have any issues after gastric bypass? I had mine removed 4 years and rely on medicaction. I am going through the journey with Guelph right now. Can this slow down weight loss. Help.

helferships
on 10/3/18 2:27 pm
RNY on 11/14/16

I had a total thyroidectomy in 2012 and an RNY in 2016 but I don't think it had any impact on my weight loss. My endocrinologist reduced my synthetic thyroid medication but only after I had lost over 100 lbs so if anything the excess medication was speeding up my metabolism for a time and presumably helping (or at least not hindering) my weight loss

I will admit to struggling now to maintain on the same foods and calories as before the change in doseage but some of that struggle is also likely attributable to recovery from malabsorption and the cold hard truth that thin-ish people need fewer calories to maintain their weight than morbidly obese ones.

I would just suggest that you make sure to monitor your thyroid hormone levels after surgery as it may not be standard procedure for your centre

best of luck!

Helfer

Livebetter
on 10/3/18 2:34 pm

I get my blood work done every 3 to 6 months to make sure my levels are good. Thanks for the info.

ScaleSkater
on 10/3/18 3:11 pm

I'd work closely with your endo - hopefully they've worked with bypass before. If not - you might want to find one who has (ask your surgeon). We have a couple of folks in our support group and I know for a fact it was a big struggle to get them back into control. But they got there after some time and close monitoring. Those drugs are narrow therapeutic index - so it's tricky.

HW 510 / SW 424/ GW 175 (stretch goal to get 10 under) / CW 160 (I'm near the charts ideal weight - wonder if I can stay here)

RNY November 2016

PS: L/R arm skin removal; belt panniculectomy - April, 2019

Livebetter
on 10/3/18 3:23 pm

Great. Thank you. I will check with the bariactric nurse.

ScottAndrews
on 10/3/18 4:25 pm
RNY on 03/20/17

I had radiation therapy many years ago. Still take the same pills I've always taken. Weight loss was no different from anyone else as far as I could tell.

Livebetter
on 10/3/18 4:32 pm

Thank you.

MarinaGirl
on 10/3/18 6:52 pm

I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis (autoimmune hypothyroidism) and have not had any problems losing weight after surgery. Since having gastric bypass 18 months ago, my endocrinologist has reduced my daily dose of levothyroxine 3 times as I've lost weight, reached goal weight, and lost some more.

Livebetter
on 10/3/18 7:06 pm

Thanks MarinaGirl

peachpie
on 10/3/18 7:56 pm - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

I had a total thyroidectomy in 2014 and rny in 2015. It's didn't impact my weight loss.

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

Most Active
Recent Topics