Debilitating Leg Cramps

delprov
on 12/14/15 6:49 am - Johnston, RI

Hello,

I am about 3 1/2 months post-op and have begun to experience debilitating cramps or "charley horses" in my legs in feet. Before my surgery, I would get them randomly in calves every now and then and they were terrible but rare and the pain subsided in about a 1/2 hour or so. Now, I get them in the sides of my legs below the calves and majorly in my feet, so badly that my feet begin to rotate inward and I can't even move my legs, let alone walk.

Normally stretching the aching muscles gets the cramp to go away, but these are so bad that even the slightest movement causes more cramping or cramping in additional areas up my leg. It's terrifying and excrutiating.

My question is, has anyone else experienced this and were you able to find a cause or at least a remedy??

I'm thinking it's dehydration because I've also noticed my urine has been dark lately and the odor is more pronounced which I believe is also a sign of dehydration, so I'm fairly confident that is the problem and I will start making far better strides at consuming more H20 throughout the day, but I'd still like to know if anyone else has this problem.

hollykim
on 12/14/15 6:58 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On December 14, 2015 at 2:49 PM Pacific Time, delprov wrote:

Hello,

I am about 3 1/2 months post-op and have begun to experience debilitating cramps or "charley horses" in my legs in feet. Before my surgery, I would get them randomly in calves every now and then and they were terrible but rare and the pain subsided in about a 1/2 hour or so. Now, I get them in the sides of my legs below the calves and majorly in my feet, so badly that my feet begin to rotate inward and I can't even move my legs, let alone walk.

Normally stretching the aching muscles gets the cramp to go away, but these are so bad that even the slightest movement causes more cramping or cramping in additional areas up my leg. It's terrifying and excrutiating.

My question is, has anyone else experienced this and were you able to find a cause or at least a remedy??

I'm thinking it's dehydration because I've also noticed my urine has been dark lately and the odor is more pronounced which I believe is also a sign of dehydration, so I'm fairly confident that is the problem and I will start making far better strides at consuming more H20 throughout the day, but I'd still like to know if anyone else has this problem.

yes, it is not unusual. Dehydration is a cause as is low magnesium. You can start supplementing magnesium and see if that helps. You can also add some salt to you diet and electrolytes bu drinking some G2 drink.

kaniky
on 12/14/15 7:05 am
RNY on 05/18/15

I just posted about this last week.  I'm going through the same thing.  I went to see my nurse practitioner on Friday and they are running lots of labs to see what I'm short on - magnesium, potassium, etc.  I'm hoping to hear back early this week.  I'll share my results once they're in. 

I never said it would be easy. I said it would be worth it.
M1: -15, M2: -14, M3: -8, M4 -11, M5 -8, M6 -7, M7 -8, M8 -4

peachpie
on 12/14/15 7:49 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

Yup-- I was getting them. I added Gatorade to my fluid intake a few times a week and it hasn't been an issue since. 

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

SkinnyScientist
on 12/14/15 11:12 am

Yes. I suffered from that BEFORE and AFTER surgery. My nurse practitioner told me to take Vitamin E. It took about two weeks but now I rarely experience cramps anymore.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

CerealKiller Kat71
on 12/14/15 11:29 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I had this problem.  I was magnesium deficient.  I take 400 mg of magnesium glycinate (doesn't cause loose bowels) and 400 mg of magnesium citrate (does cause -- but helps my constipation) every day.  I used to also use magnesium oil directly on my cramping muscles.  

I haven't had a cramp since three week after starting.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

sweetpotato1959
on 12/14/15 12:32 pm

Please go back and look at prior posts... but to summarize..

.When in acute spasm I use three things, because I Isolated MY cause. 

I use one serving of no-salt (potassium replacer), in/with 2 ounces of very warm coffee, and 4 magnesium tablets.. The warm liquids will help it melt/absorb quicker...

Apply heating  pad (or warm dog) to cramping areas!

After about 30 minutes drink plenty water, I keep ice water by my bed so as I get up to let it out, I can build more since my max is still 4 ounces unless hot...

Denise
Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 12/14/15 7:40 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

I'm glad you're dedicated to getting more fluids - if not the leg cramps will not be your only problem.

Awhile ago, someone mentioned a color chart for athletes to check their hydration.  Here is a link to one.  Please check it out and work on getting enough fluid.

https://www.trusper.com/tips/Am-I-Hydrated-Urine-Color-Chart/10466987

Sharon

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 347 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 232 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 340 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 270 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?