Celiac Disease and Gastric Bypass

Celissa
on 4/11/15 3:46 am

Hello all!

I'm a long-time lurker, first-time poster.  I'm still going through my pre-op medically supervised weight loss attempt, and will hopefully be getting a bypass done early this fall.  I was diagnosed this week with celiac disease, and I was wondering if anyone who's had Roux-en-Y done has been in a similar situation.  I know part of the benefit of gastric bypass (or duodenal switch, which my surgeon doesn't perform) is the malabsorption.  Would that cause issues if my small intestine is already damaged from the celiac disease?  I will, of course, be talking to my surgeon when next I see him, but I was curious if anyone here had been through the same sort of problem.

Thanks for any thoughts you might have!

jenorama
on 4/11/15 4:06 am - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

I don't know about increased malabsorption issues, but the protein-forward post-op diet is pretty much perfect for your situation. During your weight loss phase, breads and things like that are pretty much useless to you. 

Jen

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/11/15 8:21 am, edited 4/11/15 8:21 am

I don't have celiac, but i become gluten intolerant. A few years post op RNY.  Plus i have soy and dairy (proteins) allergies... Plus a few more. I just need to make sure i avoid foods with that. Can be done. Avoiding gluten is really easy thiese days. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

crazy4birds
on 4/11/15 2:41 pm, edited 4/11/15 2:42 pm
RNY on 12/02/14

I have celiac disease although I don't have any answers to your questions.  It's funny I was just thinking about this, wondering if I should have asked my doc to cut out most of my small intestine (which, of course, he would never have done).  I had bypass surgery 4 months ago with no issues.  Haven't tried anything with gluten since then and I don't intend to.  I used to cheat early on after celiac diagnoses in 2009, eat gluten, and pay dearly. Now I'm afraid to eat sugar, afraid I will dump, which is a good thing.  I check my products (shakes, pills, protein bars) judiciously for gluten and lactose since I'm also lactose intolerant and have no problem finding a good selection and most things are labeled. Pre-surgery I had IBS-D and happy to say that this has improved, whereas most people seem to have problems with constipation I find that with a probiotic I am pretty regular(TMI).  Hope this helps and good luck with your surgery.

HW: 240   SW:  224   Goal:  130 

Celissa
on 4/11/15 2:44 pm

Thanks so much!  I've spent this weekend getting rid of most of the gluten-containing products in the kitchen.  It's a big difference, but I can't help but think that this should help with the whole weight loss thing as well.  I appreciate the input!

crazy4birds
on 4/11/15 2:50 pm
RNY on 12/02/14

I actually gained after I went gluten free.  I found that my substitutions were a lot more fattening than the real thing....I found GF cookies and cupcakes (lots of extra sugar added in to mask the no flour taste) and easy peasy, I would eat candy, lots of it.

Celissa
on 4/11/15 2:57 pm

No, even before I started in on my six-month supervised weight loss attempt, I'd mostly cut the sweets and such out of my diet.  I am committed to getting rid of this weight, and I know that means that the things with no nutritional value need to go.  So I'm guessing that cutting out pasta, breads and the like can only help.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!  

Or at least trying to do so.

crazy4birds
on 4/12/15 5:11 am
RNY on 12/02/14

It will definitely help.  I wasn't on a diet I was just mourning the loss of gluten and trying to replace it with whatever I could.  That is what got my weight so high and pre-diabetic.  Not saying you will do this just letting you know that is the trap I fell in so be cautious.  Glad you are making healthy decisions.  With the great attitude that you have only good things will come of that.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 318 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 236 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 299 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 70 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??