Need a list of helpful items for after my surgery!

jenniflower2306
on 3/20/15 3:18 am

Hello Friends! I am a Lap-Band recipient who is having the darned failed thing removed May 20th and then will be getting a Bypass. I have been looking for a list of items that will be useful on this second weight loss journey of mine and wonder if anyone had any suggestions of items to have on hand. I am excited but aware that it will be a bit different than being a bander. Any tips will be greatly appreciated! 

Jenni 

DailyMae123
on 3/20/15 6:05 am

Read every word  in the materials your doctor gives you.

I used(and still do) the magic bullet.  Your beginning foods will be pureed (sp?).  It is small, easy to operate and does a good job.

Good luck!

IWANT2BEHEALTHY
on 3/20/15 7:12 am
VSG on 03/16/15

I was glad I had chapstick. I bougt flavored berry on one end and lemon on the other end. Then a plain regular one. I ad bought biotene spray for dry mouth but I forgot it and I wish I had it. They gave me water and ice chips with the sponge on a stick. I was glad I had my smartphone and a charger. I did lots of laps around the floor. Some people say to bring a pillow or something to clutch for bumps on the ride home. M wife did a smooth cruise home and didnt hit many bumps. So There wasnt much I needed. Good luck, I just had my surgery 3/16/15 and got out 3/18/15VSG

Ht:6'5 Start weight 427, surgery weight=362 current weight 238 goal weight unsure?

nicupnorth
on 3/20/15 8:32 am - Eagle river, WI

Biotene spray for dry mouth was my go to.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 3/20/15 9:50 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I needed nothing except the clothes I came in to go home. Everything else ended up un-needed.  

At home, I have used my food scale, measuring cups and digital body scale nearly every day since surgery.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

jenniflower2306
on 3/20/15 12:56 pm, edited 3/20/15 12:56 pm

Thank you all. I will put all those things on my list. Chapstick, Bioten, favorite pillow and comfy clothes. Already planning on purchasing a personal blender and some new measuring cups and dishes and I still have my food scale. Thank you again for the tips! I am so excited.

Jenni 

GodsChildII
on 3/20/15 11:19 pm - Seattle , WA
RNY on 08/05/14

Everything everyone else has said (especially the chap stick)! Best of Luck!

Lovetocruz
on 3/21/15 2:19 am - Nashville, NC

Save your money.  Walmart is in most areas, buy what you need only when you need it.  You will not be an invalid.  Yes, a week or two at home, then a trip to Walmart can be your exercise. Walking with the cart is very helpful.  Only thing I used that I prepurchased was the sugar free popsicles.  They were a lifesaver.  A few protien drinks maybe, but be careful stocking up on those.  You will have to find a brand that is to your taste....and remember YOUR TASTE CHANGES after surgery.  I threw away a housefull of prestocked protein drinks.  Save your money and buy something new for that beautiful new you.  You deserve it!

CGCL
on 3/21/15 2:36 am
RNY on 02/19/15

I have needed a cane occasionally, mainly to go up and down the stairs at home. I have loved my new bed wedge since I was having trouble getting comfy lying flat, and also borrowed a recliner from my in laws that came in very handy for a few weeks.

Height: 6'0" HW 5/2013 295. Consult 7/29/14 275. SW 261. RNY 2/19/15. M1:-33! M2:-13.5. M3:-12. M4:-10.8. M5:-9.7. M6:-5. M7: -4.5. Pregnant 8/15-5/16. 10 weeks post partum: 173.

kwally39
on 3/21/15 3:05 am - Toronto, Canada

Lots of small containers will help. When I made soup or oatmeal, I would put them in small premeasured dishes. then I could just take something out of the fridge and reheat or eat. Also made jello in these too. I ate a lot of apple sauce and greek yogurt.. still do. individual containers are great for taking with you when visiting. I also have small containers I measure my protein powder in. These travel great too.

I made a bean soup before surgery and froze it in ice cube trays. then took out 3 whenever I wanted it. Very high in protein. I use the MAgic Bullet too. small and doesnt take much space but great for protein drinks and pureeing food. It's used every day.

good luck

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 208 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 257 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 304 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 265 views